Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Finally got around to trimming out my tow hitch surround

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sarchib
Mark & Larry, terrific work! Question: How was the scribe line inside of the panel made? Rather, both jobs illustrate pre-determined measurements and deliberate lines. Seek advice on how I could replicate the preliminary work of marking the scribe line as you both appear to have done. Thank-you.
The pre-marked lines that already came with the panel appears to be slightly different between Mark P's S-line and my SQ5. His looks fairly straight on all edges, while the pre-marked line on my panel is ****-eyed, at least the top-most edge one. So I just ignored them and made my own new lines with a sharpie. I simply measured the width of the hitch, and using the left and right edges of the entire panel as a reference, made my own lines centered on the panel to accommodate the exact width of the hitch. I made the initial rough cut just inside my lines with a dremel wheel, and widened it later when doing the finishing with a burr, using blue painters tape over the original lines that I made as visual aid to help me keep things straight and smooth. The horizontal cuts were just "eyeballed" and I later refined them with the burr.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the trailer hitch on my Q5. Thanks to all members on this forum, I asked the dealer to request the hitch panel be sent with the car. When I stopped yesterday to look at the car the dealer showed me the panel. When I get time, I will be trimming and reinstalling.
Thanks guys.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry, thank-you very much. I really appreciate the detailed explanation. Stuart
Old 12-10-2013, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark P
Panel in place:

Wow, they're not joking when they say "clean diesel"... Look at those shiny exhaust tips and internals!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JaXeN
Wow, they're not joking when they say "clean diesel"... Look at those shiny exhaust tips and internals!
Ha, thanks, that's at about 4300 miles and never having cleaned the tips
Old 12-11-2013, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Nicely done, Mark. Do you make house calls? <G>

I was surprised that the dealer didn't follow the installation instructions, which call for modifying the valance ("diffuser") panel. Or that Audi didn't ship a precut one in the kit, considering that mechanics aren't machinists.

I was thinking about looking for a spare panel from a junkyard, just in case I wasn't happy with a DIY cutout on that. I'll need electrical access, so the hole will be bigger on mine.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So do you have to cut off the electrical connector tab to fit the cover with the smaller cut? I'm not to keen on cutting the tab. is there any other way around this?
Old 12-26-2013, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice job, looks good!

When I cut a panel like that, I drill four large holes. One in each corner to have a rounded corner. You can use a uni-bit or a counter sink.

I then cut the straight line between the holes with a razor knife. The first few passes, I press a flexible six in metal ruler along the line to act as a guide. I also use some black plastic door edging to finish the job.

Name:  fillerplate10-2010029.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  49.5 KB

Name:  fillerplate10-2010031.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  79.1 KB
Old 12-26-2013, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Coolie-
If you are good at fabrication, one option would be to cut the main opening for the hitch receiver, and then very carefully cut a "door" over the electrical connector. Clean cuts, no mistakes, and you would be able to hinge it and add a small catch (or Velcro strip) to keep it close when you didn't need to be plugged in.

I'm surprised Audi doesn't sell a replacement diffuse panel (or supply one when the hitch is installed) that is precut, with a panel or door for the electric, and only needs some paint. Maybe we can get one of the guys making mud guards in China to run some off if Audi can't grasp the concept.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
So do you have to cut off the electrical connector tab to fit the cover with the smaller cut? I'm not to keen on cutting the tab. is there any other way around this?
The tab would hit the cover, so either cut off the tab, cut a hole in cover, or relocate the elec connector. I considered bending the metal tab, but couldn't get suooprt to do so and my guess was the weld would break first and I didnt want to deal with that. I grabbed the elec cover as if it didnt have a tab and felt comfortable with that as a result so I just cut it off. You could also add a new tab in a different location. Since I'll rarely be uding the elec connector, I was happy with my result and the minimal effort put in

Quick Reply: Finally got around to trimming out my tow hitch surround