Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Finally made up my mind

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally made up my mind

...so this is my first post in AudiWorldForums hoping I made the right choice in purchasing a 2012 Q5, quartz grey, 2.0, I spent the past two weeks trying to make up my mind between a volvo xc60 and the Q5 and it came to a point where I could not come to decide on one of them, having an Audi dealer next to my office didn't help Volvo at all!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Great!

Would you care to review how you made the decision? My wife and I haven't decided yet between the XC60, the X3 and the Q5, and I'd like to hear what were the pros and cons of each.

Thanks,
Old 07-25-2011, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats on your purchase
Old 07-25-2011, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You won't regret it, the Q5 is a great ride (2.0t here too), I love mine.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ovaliente
...so this is my first post in AudiWorldForums hoping I made the right choice in purchasing a 2012 Q5, quartz grey, 2.0
Is quartz an option on the 2012s?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Congratulations! We were pretty serious about the XC60 prior to buying my 3.2L Q5 in December to replace my '08 X3. I had driven it and liked it and was even considering European Delivery because the T6 R Design I wanted wasn't readily available in typical dealer stock. In the end the Q5 won over the XC60 (and BMW), mostly because I was concerned about the Volvo holding value (plus Ford had sold the company), I'm accustomed to German cars, and the design and driving dynamics of the Q5 really suited me. In the months I've had my Q5 it has surpassed my expectations - hopefully that'll be the same for you.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats and welcome!

The XC60 was a strong consideration for my wife and I as well. I actually preferred the styling of the Volvo, and I found the Volvo's seats to be a little more comfortable, although my wife didn't agree in either case. She did agree that the Volvo's turbo six is a rocket, however, and that the Swede's offer a more attractive exterior color palette. The substantial step-in of the Volvo was a deal breaker for my rather petite wife. (She despises getting her pants dirty on the rocker panels.) We both favored the Audi's advantage in fuel efficiency. In the end, the car is my wife's daily driver, and the decision ultimately belonged to her. But I was so impressed with the Volvo that I might take another look at them when I'm in the market myself in the next year or two.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It was just a matter of the available models in both cars vs my particular reality:

We(my wife an I)have a three year old girl and plan for a second one....Volvo's leather was very light beige which would have been a nightmare for all. Also this particular model had no xenon lights or fog lamps, it was a 2011 vs the 2012 Audi Q5.

I also found the Audi's turbo with less lag time and more responsive when handling curves, a bit jerky in the city traffic, but a superb ride in the highway. Same number of airbags as in the volvo, dual AC, CD changer, etc.

Both cars have awesome looks, same exact length although Volvo looks a bit bigger because of it's rear end.

In conclusion Audi handled better,less noise, and in my particular case black interior was a better choice. In a perfect universe both cars would be sitting in drive way!!! Good luck!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had the same question to my dealer, but it seems it is for latin america.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My choice was down to the XC60 and the Q5 as well. I liked the exterior styling of the XC but really didn't care for the interior. I also put a car seat on the rear passenger side and there was less leg room in the XC. But it all came down to handling. I drove the Q5 and just knew it was the one. I went back to Volvo to drive it one more time just to be sure. I actually started the car shopping process pretty much set on a Volvo and was a little sad it didn't wind up on top. Besides they were going to offer me a great deal but I just couldn't say no to the Q5.

Quick Reply: Finally made up my mind