Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Finally pulled the trigger on 2016 SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally pulled the trigger on 2016 SQ5

Hey fellas,

So I did it. Put a deposit down on a 2016 SQ5 in Toronto. Ended up going with Audi Queensway as they had one on the lot that had everything I wanted. Was initially looking at ordering from factory for the Adaptive Cruise and TPMS but didnt want to wait 3 months. Found everything else I wanted in the car they had so took the plunge.

Here's the specs:

2016 Sq5 Technik
Nappa Leather Black/Magma Red - Alcantra door trim
Navigation Package
Black Optics
Mythos Black Metallic
21 Inch wheels
Red Brake Calipers
Carbon Atlas Inlays
Bose Surround Sound

Got them to throw in all the winter rubber mats, cargo rubber mat, wheel locks, and anti theft. Wasn't going to pay for any of that hahaha. Only paid for what I had to, freight, air tax, Ontario fees etc.

MSRP was over 81, got them down to 76 with it all thrown in. Pretty happy about that. Unhaggle is an awesome website if you want to get your prices etc.

Pick it up 3 weeks. To say I'm a mixture of excitement and trepidation would be an understatement

So I'm looking for advice and recommendations as to my game plan between now and then, and beyond. Bear with me as I've used this awesome forum for the last 6 months at least to get all the info, and would really appreciate others perspective on what I'm looking at doing.

Ok first things first, I am still looking at whether to get Audi care or not. Got the car on a private sales day event, so they had some big wigs from out of state throwing cash incentives around and better offers towards audi care, protection etc. I see right through the BS but you can use them to your advantage as they wanted to move stock. The car had been in the yard for 40 days+ so used that to get better price etc too.

So my long term game plan is to keep the SQ5 and enjoy it, then when (if?) the RSQ5 comes to Canada/US market, upgrade to that. I sat down with their finance guy and he took me through the benefits of Audi Care. They seem to not really come into their own until after the 4 year warranty. So I am tossing up whether to go for a 5 year plan now, or to wait until its closer to the 4 year expiry and renegotiate. I've read alot of differing views here from people saying yes its good or no wait until the end. I do like the thought of coverage of all services though. And it also covers anything else that may go wrong doesn't it? Or is it purely restricted to the basic "service plan" they have? I need to do more research on the fine print, as I only paid the deposit yesterday so looking at my options in the coming weeks before pickup. Any advice from those that know?

The next thing they offered was an extended protection coverage which includes:

Front Windshield Repair or Replacement
Tire & Wheel Repair or Replacement
Curb Scuff Repair
Head/Taillight Protection
Paintless Dent Removal
Key & Keyless Remote Replacement
Paint Repair
Car Rental Benefit
Interior Protection

They quote 2160 for 4 years on this. He said he could give me 450 off that with the sales event. Obviously normal sales/upsell BS, but now im thinking about it, this has a very real long term benefit of any minor damage I get I can just bring it in and they take care of it for 4 years. I think I am leaning towards this. Thoughts? Have others taken similar offers?

Next up is window tinting and paint protection. I am looking at getting the full 3M covering + opti coat or its equivalent. I had mentioned to the Audi guy that I had found a local guy who is very well received who I wanted to do it. He obviously countered with well we are happy to see his quote and better it to keep it inhouse. I am undecided if I should stick with the dealer (after getting the best deal I can) or going with a private contractor for the paint prep/detailing and protection. Thoughts? One bonus of the dealer is I can get it all done there before pickup, plus have added benefit of everything being covered under the one roof. Still not sure on what I should do here. Am going to get quotes from both and see. I love negotiating so I can probably get close or matched prices from Audi, since they want my business of course.

What do most people here do? Full cover 3M (or equivalent) coverage? Is the Opti Coat really worth it on top of that? I want to keep this car in mint condition like the guy with the absolutely awesome Audi Garage in here hahaha. So I am looking this way. What do people usually pay for this?

Onto springs and lowering. The demo car on the floor had some really huge wheel gaps that I was quite surprised to see. Really wish we had the Euro specs available to us here. If the US heights are even bigger than this that is crazy!

So Im looking at H&K Springs to bring it down. But should I do shocks as well ?

Swaybars and Spacers are last on the list but also looking at the Eurocode options and seeing what I can get here in Canada, hopefully locally and not without import Duty costs.

Ok guys sorry for the huge post but if any of you awesome fellas have advice for this first time new sq5 aussie audi buyer i would really appreciate it!

Let me know any other things that you can think of that i could do between now and 3 week pickup that I may be able to get out of dealer or i should get to better prep the car for pickup and long term awesomness hahah.

thanks guys!

Attached is some pics of the one of the show room floor. that wheel space is huge! but man do i love the interior and the size of the 21s.

God its a gorgeous car!
Attached Images    
Old 03-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Many congrats. Enjoy the ride. Steve
Old 03-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Welcome.

I dont understand your comment about Audi Care? Audi Care is the maintenance package that covers your first 4 services up to 75k. Its $750. I think you are referring to a different package?

I got my Q5 tinted at Audioheaven at 404 and 407. Its like $250 bucks, litetime warranty and you can get any tint you want. The dealer legally wont provide you less than 35% tint and should be double the price.

Last edited by 14Q5; 03-06-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congrats on your new SQ5!
Old 03-06-2016, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1!
Old 03-07-2016, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Audi Care is a service package. It covers services up to 45K miles. Typically $895 in the US, and there is some wiggle room on it.

As for TPMS, you will likely have it. It is mandated on US cars, and I suspect Canadian as well.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Congratulations on your new car. Nothings so beautiful and rich looking as a NEW black car - when it's clean. Will require more maintenance to keep it looking like that. Actually, don't fret when it gets dusty, or else you will spend more time cleaning it rather than driving/enjoying it.

B
Old 03-07-2016, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Audi Care is a service package. It covers services up to 45K miles. Typically $895 in the US, and there is some wiggle room on it.

As for TPMS, you will likely have it. It is mandated on US cars, and I suspect Canadian as well.
TPMS isn't mandatory up here. It is an option I opted not to have. I find it a PITA.

Enjoy your SQ5! It sure got up there in price. I don't think I paid that much. Or, did I?
Old 03-07-2016, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations on the new ride! We have a '16 SQ5 also, and we adore it. What a fantastic car.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 55cadillacking
TPMS isn't mandatory up here. It is an option I opted not to have. I find it a PITA.
Why do you dislike it? I have it on everything I own, primarily because I am too lazy to check my tires as often as I should.

Quick Reply: Finally pulled the trigger on 2016 SQ5