Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

First Impressions from an Audi Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Impressions from an Audi Newbie

I've had my Garnet Pearl 2.0 for a little over two weeks now and thought I'd share my initial impressions.

I have never owned an Audi or any other "premium" car before. My previous few vehicles in order from most recent back: '05 Nissan XTerra, '98 Nissan Pathfinder, '93 Acura Integra, '86 Toyota Forerunner. Other vehicles I considered/tested before making the purchase: BMW X3, Mercedes GLK 350, Volvo XC-60, Acura RDX. What a competetive market segment! A lot of good vehicles out there.

Exterior Styling
The Audi won me over from the beginning. In fact seeing a Q5 on the road before I even knew that it existed (I thought it was a Q7 from my initial view in my side mirror until it got up beside me) inspired me to start my search for a new vehicle. I find the shape to be burly but sensual if that makes any sense. None of the other vehicles came close in this category. Superb fit/finish. I also like that there are comparitively few on the road here so there is a little vanity exclusivity factor. Will add the chrome exhaust tips and possibly fog lamp surrounds discussed in this forum. Break-dust is, as has been noted many times, a royal pain.

Interior/Ergonomics/Controls
Good seats and seating position, could use a little more side bolstering and thigh support. Great feeling steering wheel. Excellent outward vision. I actually like the "freakishly large" side mirrors (see my last vehicle). Still getting used to the MMI controls but now that I have the entertainment system, for the most part, sorted out I like it. Super sound with the base stereo set-up. Bonus that it saves different settings in the EQ depending upon source. Multiple trip computers have a good deal of redundancy but I haven't tried hard to customize settings yet. The "distance to fill-up" display is overly optimistic when the tank is full (to say the least!). Does anyone else have the problem of closing the rear hatch and leaving it on half-latch all the time? Happens to me 50% of the time I close it. Pano sunroof is amazing. Subdued and beautifuly styled interior with craftsman level fit/finish.

Driving
Wow, what a car. Finally had a chance to take her out on some twisties on the weekend and though it's an exageration to say the Q5 handles like a sports sedan, it's not too much of a stretch! Precise steering, wonderfully planted road-holding, solid fade-free brakes, enough torquey grunt to produce exciting accelleration. Definitely has lived up to my expectations. Fuel milage has been pretty much as advertised. I'm getting about 10.5/Liter's per 100KM.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well said! Enjoy your new ride! It's one very HOT vehicle right now- glad I got mine when the supplies were good!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nice review! Congrats on the car, you've echoed almost all of my thoughts and impressions on this amazing vehicle.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Congrats on the purchase!!

We have the entire North American Parts Catalog LIVE & Search able on our site if you ever need to obtain OEM parts pricing!

We also have the ability to source all available European OEM parts as well!

At the top right hand corner there's a search box where you can type in part numbers or look up the part by name.

Check it out HERE!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pete
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 03-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

congrats on your new car! i totally agree with your review. i've had mine since last dec, and still loving it!
Old 03-25-2011, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I "5th" you sentiments ... I enjoy my Q5 and what it offers.
(Smiley in lieu of a Thumbs-Up)