Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

front license plate delete in California

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front license plate delete in California

I ordered my Q5 without a front license plate, but now I'm hearing that police in the Los Angeles area are known to ticket someone without a front plate.

Can anyone in California chime in on their experiences, and state their location? I'm in the inland empire but drive everywhere.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've been driving without front plate for nearly 20 years, never had a ticket, however, it's somewhat down to luck and where you drive.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in CA, up north in the Bay Area, and got my 2006 A4 Avant and my 2008 Acura RDX both without the front plate. California cops generally don't ticket for that unless you get stopped for something else, like speeding or running a light.

How it works: It's called a "fix-it ticket," and you end up having to install the front plate and have it inspected and signed-off by the DMV in order to avoid a point on your license, in addition to the fine. Once that's taken care of I suppose you can remove it again.

On my Acura it's a bracket that actually mounts behind the front bumper and wraps underneath and upwards, so the removal doesn't expose mounting holes in the bumper. Not sure about the Q5, but on my A4 Avant (never got a ticket on that) it would've meant drilling holes.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Xpri
I've been driving without front plate for nearly 20 years, never had a ticket, however, it's somewhat down to luck and where you drive.

That's great to hear.
And may I ask your location?

My dealer said, there was a guy who parked his car at LAX for 19 days without front plate, and got a ticket everyday, with a total of $1900.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in LA but mostly in the Pasadena area and valley. It's probably true about LAX, I hear lots of stories of ticketing there so I always take my wife's car.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

there are cops posted at almost every terminal at LAX who do ticket for no front plate. that's how i got mine. sigh. so avoid the airports if you don't have a front plate!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

With the budget problems all cities have now - there are more tickets being given out now. Here is a option if someone wants a high tech solution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3cLA...layer_embedded

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...9f31e771cba318
Old 07-30-2010, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bwalter

How it works: It's called a "fix-it ticket," and you end up having to install the front plate and have it inspected and signed-off by the DMV in order to avoid a point on your license, in addition to the fine. Once that's taken care of I suppose you can remove it again.
I believe it's not true - CA is so financial f.. up that they change law - it's not a fixed ticket anymore. I maybe wrong and will check with DMV.
My coworker get this ticket last year, before law changed.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's risky. Many small town cops love to write these tickets. Not worth the hassle IMO.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

California law requires a front license plate for all the cars. It helps them to spot ur car at the intersection cameras. So its better to have it and not to worry about a ticket forever.

Quick Reply: front license plate delete in California