Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Fuel pump failure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fuel pump failure?

I just hit the first major warranty repair on my 2014 TDI (~2500 miles), and I wonder whether others have had a similar experience. It's a fuel pump replacement, and apparently the part has to come from Germany to Chicago. I can't drive it until the repair is complete, so I am stuck with a loaner for at least a week.

The only symptom was a flashing glow plug warning on the instrument panel. It flashed a few times and then went away. The next day, the glow plug light started flashing and wouldn't stop. I happened to be a few blocks from the dealer, so I stopped to have it checked out. That was Friday. Today I got the news about losing the car for a week due to the parts order.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Meanwhile, the dealer has me in a Q5 2.0T, which is nice, but I really miss my TDI.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2500mi is definitely too early for a fuel pump, so there must've been some defect in it (or using bad diesel, but hopefully you've been going to good stations and so that's not it). Mine's at 9200mi and no issues with fuel delivery here.

At least getting a 2.0T loaner's better than my rental Galant I had to put up with for a week while my rear bumper was getting replaced. Was murder being without my TDI, and awesome when I was able to get it back. Hopefully they can get the part in faster than they expect and get you back on the road ASAP.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, unfortunately I had to deal with that same issue two times! Some sensor within the fuel system went bad with only 125 miles on the car and I received the flashing glow plug indicator, sensor replace after 4 days in the shop. Jump forward 1100 miles (flashing glow plugs again) and my fuel pump went out which left the car in limp mode. The second time it took almost two weeks to replace the pump. My dealership was very accommodating and offered me any car on the lot…I took an S7…So really can’t complain. I also received a personal apology from the GM which was nice touch considering it wasn't the dealerships fault the car was having issues. Have to love good service…
Old 06-05-2014, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jim0607
Yes, unfortunately I had to deal with that same issue two times! Some sensor within the fuel system went bad with only 125 miles on the car and I received the flashing glow plug indicator, sensor replace after 4 days in the shop. Jump forward 1100 miles (flashing glow plugs again) and my fuel pump went out which left the car in limp mode. The second time it took almost two weeks to replace the pump. My dealership was very accommodating and offered me any car on the lot…I took an S7…So really can’t complain. I also received a personal apology from the GM which was nice touch considering it wasn't the dealerships fault the car was having issues. Have to love good service…
Thanks for the info. Where are you located? Do you have any issues with biodiesel in your area? In Chicago, biodiesel is all over the place. The dealer told me at the time of purchase that it is not a concern, but I have still diligently avoided biodiesel based on the warning from Audi in the manual.

Also, what dealer did you buy from? Sounds like truly excellent service!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do let us know the cost of this repair on warranty, centurion70. I am concerned that this is the HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) failure that some VW Touareg owners have experienced, albeit uncommonly (try googling it!). Note in that instance, the cost is ~$14G. Yes G. Damages downstream components. See the write ups on clubtouareg dot com. The Touareg does have a 10 year/100K mile powertrain warranty which does cover this failure- unlike the Q5!
Old 06-06-2014, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow....only 2500 miles and already a major fuel delivery issue....that is scary..... I only have 1500 miles on my TDI, but I really hope I don't see these types of issues.... Maybe the extended warranty isn't such a bad idea after all...
Old 06-06-2014, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, BMW has had a substantial number of HPFP failures too, especially on the Mini Countryman. Wonder if it's the same supplier.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bad diesel or some gasoline in the diesel could be the culprit too.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dubliner
Do let us know the cost of this repair on warranty, centurion70. I am concerned that this is the HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) failure that some VW Touareg owners have experienced, albeit uncommonly (try googling it!). Note in that instance, the cost is ~$14G. Yes G. Damages downstream components. See the write ups on clubtouareg dot com. The Touareg does have a 10 year/100K mile powertrain warranty which does cover this failure- unlike the Q5!
I wouldn't be concerned about the issues that the Touareg had, as it's a much older design and there's no parts-sharing with the Q5. A number of issues earlier vehicels have had have been worked out for the Q5, and I have yet to hear of any HPFP or DPF issues on the Q5 (obviously the TDI is new here, but it's been out for a long time in 2.0 and 3.0 varieties in Europe -- though some of our European members may be more likely than me to have run across any complaints as I was just lurking on European boards while researching the TDI prior to NA launch).

Of course, any part on any vehicle can have a "random" failure, but so far we don't seem to have major issues on the Q5. So fingers crossed.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by centurion70
Thanks for the info. Where are you located? Do you have any issues with biodiesel in your area? In Chicago, biodiesel is all over the place. The dealer told me at the time of purchase that it is not a concern, but I have still diligently avoided biodiesel based on the warning from Audi in the manual.

Also, what dealer did you buy from? Sounds like truly excellent service!
I'm in Seattle and purchased & service the car at Barrier. I avoid biodiesel and only fuel up at Chevron and never run below 1/4 tank. Not sure why I experienced this issue. Barrier couldn't give me a good reason and attributed it to a "faulty parts". Thankfully I haven't had an issue in the last 7000 miles and I drive 50+ miles a day. Couldn't be happier with Barrier...Granted, I've purchased MANY cars from them. I also LOVE this TDI and hope its reliable going forward.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump failure?