Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is the glovebox cable the only way to play music from an iPhone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the glovebox cable the only way to play music from an iPhone?

I haven't been on the forum in a while, and a search turned up too many topics to go through, so I wanted to ask if the best (and/or only) way to play music from my iPhone is via the cable in the glovebox?

I remember seeing some threads where someone bought a device online that might allow for Bluetooth to work (or something like that) but I can't find that topic to see how it turned out.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2014, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe bluetooth streaming is already available for iPhones. You have to pair the device to the car using bluetooth and then enable the blue tooth audio player.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rferni
I believe bluetooth streaming is already available for iPhones. You have to pair the device to the car using bluetooth and then enable the blue tooth audio player.
That's what I thought, too. I didn't think there was any add'l hardware required for this.

But when it comes to sound quality, I think another poster here who researched this stated that BT connection is probably your worst option.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

To confirm, I have a 2010 Q5 which has a different MMI than the newer Q5, and I don't believe bluetooth streaming is supported.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
That's what I thought, too. I didn't think there was any add'l hardware required for this.

But when it comes to sound quality, I think another poster here who researched this stated that BT connection is probably your worst option.
The OP has a 2010 Q5 which didn't have Bluetooth.....BT came in 2013+.... The only way to enable BT would be to add it .... Check this site out.. Audi Radios - Add Bluetooth A2DP Streaming to your Audi - A2DP4AUDI - Audi Bluetooth Adapters

Edit: BTW any wireless connection will not be as good as a physical connection, since all wireless signals degrade. BT is actually very good, but still degrades(even if it is close to the its receiver) and audio will suffer the further it is from its receiver. Another example, a WiFi connection will still be quick using fast WiFi equipment, but not as quick as connected via an Ethernet cable. If you want the best audio quality connect via cable, but if you want convenience, BT will be good enough unless your an audio enthusiast.

Last edited by - B -; 11-19-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Quick follow-up question: I purchased an adapter to convert the glove box 30-pin cable to a lightning cable so I could connect my iPhone 6. The cable 'works' in that the phone charges, but it doesn't work in that the car doesn't 'see it' (i.e. I can't select it as a source). It works fine w/o the adapter using an iPhone 4.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-04-2014, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by john1r
Quick follow-up question: I purchased an adapter to convert the glove box 30-pin cable to a lightning cable so I could connect my iPhone 6. The cable 'works' in that the phone charges, but it doesn't work in that the car doesn't 'see it' (i.e. I can't select it as a source). It works fine w/o the adapter using an iPhone 4.

Any thoughts?
Did you buy the Apple adaptor? It could be the glovebox 30 pin only supports analog audio, you'd need a lightning adapter that converts the digital audio to analog if that's the case.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ND40oz
Did you buy the Apple adaptor? It could be the glovebox 30 pin only supports analog audio, you'd need a lightning adapter that converts the digital audio to analog if that's the case.
My dealer was going to send me a lightning cable to replace the one in the glovebox, but suggested using an adapter called Tune2air wireless bluetooth adapter sold on Amazon (which only is available for the old iphone connector in the glovebox). I could then stream audio via bluetooth and wouldn't have to leave my phone in the glovebox and reach over every time. I haven't ordered one yet to try it out...
Old 12-04-2014, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have done this with the belkin 30 pin to new plug adapter sitting on top of the original cord and it works fine for me.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I use the Tune2air in my 2012 with an iPhone 5s, it works fine, but song information is not displayed correctly in display in the dash

Quick Reply: Is the glovebox cable the only way to play music from an iPhone?