Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Head light cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head light cleaning

Is there a good product on the market I can use to protect / prevent my head lights from getting hazy glaze on the lens covers?
Old 03-05-2016, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinksnow66
Is there a good product on the market I can use to protect / prevent my head lights from getting hazy glaze on the lens covers?
I have always put a sealant (Klasse/Griot's Garage or a dozen others) over the lights and have never, ever had the slightest bit of hazing.
I have done this as part of regular maintenance of the exterior.

B
Old 03-05-2016, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Hazy glaze? If you are someplace like Florida or Texas, the heavy UV in the sunlight will eventually break down all the plastic headlight "covers". There are products supposed to prevent that, and others that will resurface the headlight plastic every 3-5 years or so, as it hazes up again. If the "haze" is just road dirt...washing keeps it off. I'm not certain I'd trust any "protectant" unless it came from a brand name with a replacement warranty, in case it failed in two or three more years, and caused more damage.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clear mask...they make extra thick stuff especially for headlights
Old 03-07-2016, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I clay bar, polish and wax all headlamps and tail lamps just like the paint on our cars, never had an issue with hazing.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Clay bar is basically a 3000-grit abrasive putty, the same as 3M's "Finesse" compound, except being a putty bar instead of a cream, it is easier for some folks to work. The "Novus" plastic polishes, sold in 3 grades or as a kit, will do the same thing as well. Pop-up headlights or glass sealed beams are the only things immune to UV damage.

But the headlight "mask" stuff, is illegal in many (all?) states. Not likely to be caught, but a good excuse to have your car impounded for an equipment violation if someone wants to play nasty.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep in mind, the headlights are almost always coated, not just raw plastic. You use too much abrasive on it and remove the coating, and you will find they yellow and pit much faster. I just clean mine and wax them with the rest of the car. Headlights are getting better all the time and way less likely to fog over if you just keep them clean.

Of course desert dwellers have the intense sun and heat to deal with, and the Northern people the salt impact, so wax them up boys!
Old 03-07-2016, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Make sure that your headlights are in fact coated, and not "just" plastic, if you are going to wax them. Almost all waxes contain petrochemicals, and petrochemicals will cause hazing and crazing and yellowing on all "plastic" glazing materials, both acrylics and polycarbonates. The manufacturers of those materials expressly say to keep all petrochemicals, including waxes and polishes that use them as solvents, away.

Plastic coatings? You might have the same problem, you'd need to find out what the coating is.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Make sure that your headlights are in fact coated, and not "just" plastic, if you are going to wax them. Almost all waxes contain petrochemicals, and petrochemicals will cause hazing and crazing and yellowing on all "plastic" glazing materials, both acrylics and polycarbonates. The manufacturers of those materials expressly say to keep all petrochemicals, including waxes and polishes that use them as solvents, away.

Plastic coatings? You might have the same problem, you'd need to find out what the coating is.
You can be sure they are designed to be OK with car wax, or the first time you wax your car and smear a little wax on the headlight you will damage it. Never seen that happen! I have waxed the headlights of EVERY car and motorcycle I have ever owned, and never had an issue. 45 cars so far.

Quick Reply: Head light cleaning