Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Hello from Boston, need advice on used Q5.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

The other thing to find out, from an Audi dealer, is what all of the service recalls/programs on this specific car were, and which ones were fixed when the original owner (or second owner) had it. It is entirely possible that the first owner had serious oil consumption issues, etc. that were fixed under warranty/program and that the second owner knows nothing about that. But Audi has records of that, and an Audi shop should be willing to pull those up for you at no charge.

It is also always worth checking the NHTSA.gov web site, with the VIN of the car, to see if there were any mandated recalls on it.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's hard to admit, but I think if I am being honest with myself, I may be looking to get into a vehicle outside my price range. It sounds like I need to really get into one with far less than 80k miles. Preferably one newer than 2012 to avoid the oil burning issue.

I appreciate all the input and advice. I'll call my mechanic and tire guy to get a quote but at this point I plan on passing up on the vehicle. Thanks for helping me reach an educated decision.

-Joe
Old 03-06-2017, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rujero
at this point I plan on passing up on the vehicle. Thanks for helping me reach an educated decision.

-Joe
I think that is the right decision...and I bet many others on here feel that way as well.

Grey
Old 03-06-2017, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 384 Likes on 345 Posts

Joe, oil consumption issues continue to this day. That did not end in 2012MY.

Last edited by uberwgn; 03-07-2017 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Joe - as well, i'm not sure if it was the case on the Q5, but the A4 2.0 engine received the metal intake manifold 2013+. Back when I had a 2009 b8 a4, there was a chronic problem where the flapper valve would pop out of the back of the IM. I believe a fair number of members have had the same issue, some multiple times even after replacement. For reference, I tried aggregating a list of 2.0t problems I had driving the initial model year b8 platform here: Thinking of selling the b8.....need advice
Old 03-11-2017, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rujero
It's hard to admit, but I think if I am being honest with myself, I may be looking to get into a vehicle outside my price range. It sounds like I need to really get into one with far less than 80k miles. Preferably one newer than 2012 to avoid the oil burning issue.

I appreciate all the input and advice. I'll call my mechanic and tire guy to get a quote but at this point I plan on passing up on the vehicle. Thanks for helping me reach an educated decision.

-Joe
Hi Joe,

I would not discount the vehicle at this point - if it does not burn oil and/or the recall was done, engine may not be a problem- just ask the dealer to pull the records.

Brakes: front rotors (Zimmerman or brembo) are about $90 ea., rears $65-$70, Textar pads (OE equivalent) $70 and $60.
If/when they do the brakes, ask to bleed the system- that will get rid of the old brake fluid.

I had to fix the door lock on our Q5- the lock from e-bay was $120 (that was cheap- usually ~$140), the alarm shop I used charged me $120 labor, so $250 including the tip.

Again, If the engine service was done, you will appreciate the car upgrade. My friend, who lives in Germany, says now Audi is rated higher then BMW there .
Old 03-14-2017, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greystoke
I think that is the right decision...and I bet many others on here feel that way as well.

Grey
I don't. The comments steered the OP away from that Q5 solely based on the potential problems. Basically, you can do the same thing for any brands and models, including Japanese makes, burning oil, transmission issues...etc.

The Q5 was only $8K. A year and half ago, a friend bought a 2011 Q5 2.0T with 40K miles for about $24K and she has been very happy about the car. Buying a used car, you can't expect it being perfect in every way, aka a new car, which may cost 5x as much. Even if the OP has to spend $15K to fix the car in the next 5 years, he still beats the depreciating of a new one.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Still, it was an informed decision and the one the OP chose to make.

Or perhaps you can show us any review of user car reliability, across the market and recent years, that shows the 2010 or 2011 Q5 as being an "above average" or "average" reliability? In the major systems, not just the wrench parts?

I bought a used car once for $400. It was also a bargain. That's what I said every time it needed another $500 and two days of my time to make something right.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Yeap a used Q5 could be perfect or again a PITA.

When you get a used Q5 you have to service it ASAP (engine oil, transmission fluid, center differential fluid, filters, rear differential 1l fluid, sparks). You need more than 700 to do all these. Also you may need to change all tyres, so add another 600 to this. Then you want to add retrofit options, like bluetooth or reverse camera so say another 650. Then you want to add a drive select, another 200 then add keyless start/entry another 600 (not sure how much it costs)?? Then you discover that some problems exist, like shudder at low speed, and you need the steering hose revised part no (add another 400). then you want to do some hardware upgrades like performance intercooler, add another 500. You also need a vcds (I had this from my VW)

So to sum up:
700+600+650+200+550+400+500=3600 additional cost
but it is exciting. (I forgot the firmware updates which the previous owner did not ask for, because he did not know, and the brake pads if need changing, and roof crossbars, S/S exhaust tailpipes, chrome fog garnish etc, so easily 4000). #The I forgot the new transmission pipe line and filter which later models adopted for better gear quality, and reliability of transmission etc. All info from my experience.

To get the perfect car you need to order it. I dont think one can find a perfect used Q5 at a low price. One would simply not sell it if it was perfect or sell it at high price which no one would buy.

Having said the above, there is asymmetry of information. Used Q5s sold at low price with problems, and full history serviced Q5s, at the dealership, problem free, at high price which no one buys. The bad sellers (with problematic Q5s) get to sell and the good sellers with problem free Q5s do not sell because price is 5000-10000 higher. The reason buyers are misinformed, and tend to purchase the least expensive.

Having said the above, I am not willing to sell my Q5 ever. Not after all problems are fixed and all accessories/retrofit parts bought, ready to be fitted . I have a 2009 Q5 problem free (after I replace the steering hose tomorrow). As such my reliability score after tomorrow will be 100% positive. But if you check my service history, it is not. It had all problems in Q5 Audis history. transmission, engine oil consumption (fix 1 and 2), shudder/steering wheel, Led control module replaced etc. Most except the shudder of the steering wheel and led control module were covered by Audi.

And I have not even mentioned yet the active differential which is a nice feature to have on pre-facelift (has also torque vectoring at the rear, I dont have AD), the start stop of engine while idle (my 2009 was not offered with this feature), brake recuperation system (better fuel consumption, again I dont have it), or if facelift the S-tronic transmission (which comes with crown differential) comes with abs/esp firmware which enables passive torque vectoring which is an excellent feature (understeer oversteer safety).

The air suspension system I couldnt care less. I prefer the normal firm 20cm ground clearance suspensions.

Also there are at 2 type of steering tech: the dynamic steering (electromechanical I think) and servotronic steering (with pump). The dynamic steering helps to save fuel and also alters the steering ratio depending on the vehicle speed and simultaneously adjusts the steering torque to match the ratio. I cannot advice which one is better.

What other options are there?
Also my Q5 came with Hill Hold Assist, passive TPMS (DWS) which was not enabled by default, Hill descend control, rain sensor, front/rear parking sensors (8), bluetooth I got it retrofited (Fiscon Kufatec), a2dp was not supported in Audi bluetooth system, even Fiscon could not enable stereo bluetooth (only mono) on the Audi Concert Radio, 7 speed S-tronic, 2.0l 211 turbo, quattro, Home link for opening the garage doors, multifunction steering wheel, HID XENON, and leather trim with sport interior aluminium garnish. There are more options like GPS and radio which I dont need, and finally a nice alarm system which can be retrofitted (but need professional installation) from Kufatec.

Sorry maybe too much confusing information.

Last edited by apoelistas; 03-15-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"Then you want to add retrofit options, like bluetooth or reverse camera so say another 650. Then you want to add a drive select, another 200 then add keyless start/entry another 600 (not sure how much it costs)?? "

Sorry, but numerous threads indicate those 'retrofits', even using non-Audi parts and DIY labor, would run about 3x your guess and consume several days of labor.

The aftermarket camera, about $350, double that to have a shop also install it.
Adding Bluetooth...OK, $50 will buy you something, but not full phone and audio integration for most folks. That would require replacing the entire entertainment system module and I'd hate to ask what that costs.

Similarly the cost of keyless start/entry would be extreme. You need to literally take apart all four doors and the liftgate to place the exterior modules, plus an interior module (I think) plus the new ignition parts, because it isn't just a switch. Maybe you can find that all third party, maybe not. But since the keyless entry systems (from all auto makers) have now been confirmed to be totally worthless with tens of thousands of cars actually stolen because of their flaws...it would be inadvisable to buy or add any keyless entry system on any model car at the current time. That's also been discussed elsewhere.

FWIW.

Quick Reply: Hello from Boston, need advice on used Q5.