Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How about Cilajet on a brilliant black Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still going...

Originally Posted by fleminem
Curious if anyone who had the Cilajet treatment a year or two ago can comment on how it's holding up. We're considering it on our Q5. This is our second Q5 and are well aware of the brake dust issue.
16 months later the shine still looks the same. I washed the Q5 back in April (after 1 year) and dirt washed off as easily as it did when the Cilajet application was first done. The brake dust also comes off the rimes as easy as it did the first time.

The Q5 is still garage kept and only has 5000 miles on it (my wife works from home and has rarely left home in the past 5 months). So these are fairly mild conditions. I'm curious how Cilajet would hold up after a year in more harsh conditions like sitting out in the elements and going 15,000 miles a year - anyone know?

I still stand by my original statement. Cilajet does not prevent dirt, dust, bird crap, pollen, salt, etc. from sticking to the paint and rimes. The Q5 gets as dirty as before Cilajet. The difference is the dirt and brake dust come off much easier making the wash job much faster - and I have never applied wax to the surface but it still is shiny and feels slick.

Because Cilajet has lasted over 1 year, I halfway recommend it. Give it another 8 months and I'll fully recommend it. But with such a low mileage vehicle being garage kept, it's hard to tell how well it would have done after 35,000 miles and weekly washes March-November. I've washed the Q5 prolly 15 times so I have almost gotten my money's worth ($800) in time and effort saved and by not having to wax.

I liked it on the Q5 so I got Cilajet done at the Audi dealership for my new Volvo XC60 as well (last July). Pretty much the same thing - shine was better than original and equivalent or slightly better than a wax job, dirt comes off easier especially the rims, holds up at least one year for a low-milaege (~5000 mi) garage-kept vehicle.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huge waste of money!!