Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How to fill AbBlue? Dealer wanted $100-$150, got 2.5 gals at VW for $15, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How to fill AbBlue? Dealer wanted $100-$150, got 2.5 gals at VW for $15, what next?

Do i just use funnel and fill? How do i know when full and not overfill? Do i need to reset computer? If so how?
Old 11-23-2015, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to use a .5 Liter dispenser which has a special pour spout combined with a stop valve.

You can do what I do with my BMW diesel - buy a .5L Adblue from VW, get 2.5gals of bulk DEF. Once you use up the .5L, cut out the bottom, fill it up with bulk DEF and re-use the VW dispenser.

Sort of messy refilling but worth it to save $100 from my stealer....
Old 11-23-2015, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Or wait until Audi gives free lifetime AdBlue?
Old 11-23-2015, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I bought swingle bottle from VW and refill it. The top turns off. Grab it and turn hard. I bought 5 gallons at the VW dealership for $22 after tax. It's much cheaper at truck stops though. Keep the 2.5 gallon jug and refill it at a truck stop.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A6forMoi
Or wait until Audi gives free lifetime AdBlue?
Who knows. It might just happen. The process sounds like a pain.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
Do i just use funnel and fill? How do i know when full and not overfill? Do i need to reset computer? If so how?
You can easily fill AdBlue:
http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/13...e-Brochure.pdf

http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...l-Brochure.pdf

WARNING you must use only VW 507.00 engine oil in your TDI car - because DPF
DPF filter and Adblue:
VW Touareg DPF and Audi Q7 DPF filter FAQ and Adblue fluid FAQ

Here:

Last edited by spijun; 11-23-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, I've tried a standard funnel. It works, but I ended up spilling some as the only way to know it's full is to have DEF sitting there in the funnel. No biggie as I had the water hose ready to wash everything. Ever since, (as 4SallyPat mentioned above for their Bimmer) I've used a VW Adblue bottle as a funnel. Cut the end off (carefully) and there's your funnel. It's slower than an open funnel, but with that kruser bottle attachment, you can unscrew it without spilling.

As to needing a computer reset, I haven't needed to yet. Like some of the Touaregs, if you fill it up before any warnings, it does apparently read the new level. Procedure (from the Toaureg) is to fill up Adblue, then turn on ignition without starting and wait 30 seconds. Haven't gotten any warnings doing this. This last time, I ran a test to purposely drain the Adblue down below the 600 mile warning and see if it would reset itself after filling. (If not I'd have to use my VCDS and probably talk to Ross-Tech for the procedure.) Got down to 500 miles and Adblue pump failed, so still don't know whether or not it'll reset itself after getting a warning. New **** pump was covered under warranty, but dealer did ask who did the 15k and 25k services. I said me and could tell the service mgr was getting his ducks in a row to blame me for the pump. I showed them my receipts for buying genuine VW DEF for fillups. Shouldn't matter as long as it's ISO 22241 (which they all seem to be), but you know dealers. So bottom line, use only VW DEF while under warranty. Check around for price. Not surprisingly, VW dealers have been cheaper than Audi in my experience and a 2.5 gallon jug is only a few bucks more than Peak DEF.

Last edited by brutus23079; 11-24-2015 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I use a BMW small filler bottle as it has the proper adapter and then I buy DEF in bulk from autozone or other stores and just pour the 2.5 gallon bottle into my .5 and repour and repeat.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Thanks, I went back to VW and got 1/2 gallon bottle and used as funnel

After using that first. I just cut a hole out of the end (didn't cut the whole end off) so when I lay it on its side in trunk storage any remaining residual liquid doesnt drip out.

The only "trick" when filling seems to be that it's a closed system so it needs to burp air out. This went fine at first but then when it seemed full and i unscrewed bottle, a big burp came with splatter. So just be careful when unscreing bottle if not all goes in. Furthermore I got to where no more would go in (even removing the bottle still was liquid in filler neck), but then some gentle figure eights back and forth on an incline allowed fluid to get down into areas of the tank. I had tried first filling with car on inclune to improve burping per one online suggestion. I guess it helped but still had to do my figure eights. I was down to 300 miles remaining and put all 3 gallons (0.5 + 2.5) in.

When I did my figure eights, I didn't do anything special when I started up the car (in hindsight recalled references to having car with power on for 30 seconds before starting). The 300 mile warning went away and I had no warnings of any kind. I never had a CEL which I understand may come later (at 0 miles remaining?).

Last edited by Mark P; 11-24-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Guys, just an FYI: Walmart is selling the AdBlue fluid under the SuperTech label. I didn't notice the pricing

Quick Reply: How to fill AbBlue? Dealer wanted $100-$150, got 2.5 gals at VW for $15, what next?