Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How to: Fog Lights on when Headlights are turned on??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
i bet OP has his fogs HID'd too for that extra cool look!
That's funny, especially considering that the bimmer in your pic has the fog lights on. Must be to see through the smoke?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Plasticar
Why do you need the fog lights on every night? Is it always foggy where you live? The Q5 headlights are outstanding as-is (I have the xenons). If it isn't foggy, you shouldn't have the light focused so closely, it hurts your long range vision and distracts from looking down the road where you are going.
I have poor night vision and not a lot of street lights around me
Old 04-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
i bet OP has his fogs HID'd too for that extra cool look!
Actually I dont. Any particular reason you felt the need to trash talk for no reason?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J FLiCKY
Actually I dont. Any particular reason you felt the need to trash talk for no reason?
Probably because a lot of people drive with their fog lights on for the "I think I'm cool" effect. In reality, they are just blinding other drivers and making their ability to see at night worse. If you do some research, you will find that having the fogs on in non-foggy weather will actually decrease your ability to see down the road when driving at night.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have poor night vision and not a lot of street lights around me
Read the comments I made in the thread I posted earlier. Fog lights actually blinds you and exacerbates the affect of afflictions such as poor night vision. Your near vision may be clearer, but that dupes you into thinking that your distance vision is improved.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would guess it's because of your low post count. These forums can be cliquish for those so inclined.

I think you asked a legitimate question and while what you're asking may not be to everyone's liking, there's no need to pile on.

Someone posted that you may be able to change the DRL behavior through VCDS but I don't know if they fogs would then turn off when the lights are turned on.

I know I have seen the option to do this.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticar
Why do you need the fog lights on every night? Is it always foggy where you live? The Q5 headlights are outstanding as-is (I have the xenons). If it isn't foggy, you shouldn't have the light focused so closely, it hurts your long range vision and distracts from looking down the road where you are going.
On certain roads esp. where there is a repair and a lot of lane shifts, fogs help me to see the dividers better then with my headlights only; also on a poor road surface fogs help to illuminate potholes, so I do use them not only when it is foggy.
Rear fog lights help to get rid of tailgaters, so I use them for that as well. These uses may not be inteneded by a manufacturer, but it does not mean that fog lights have to be used in fog only....
Old 04-17-2013, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by m1964
On certain roads esp. where there is a repair and a lot of lane shifts, fogs help me to see the dividers better then with my headlights only; also on a poor road surface fogs help to illuminate potholes, so I do use them not only when it is foggy.
Rear fog lights help to get rid of tailgaters, so I use them for that as well. These uses may not be inteneded by a manufacturer, but it does not mean that fog lights have to be used in fog only....
Anything above 35 mph the fogs are no use at all. How are you going to see and then dodge a pothole at above 35mph?

Yes, I agree, rear fogs are great for dispelling tailgaters, but it is also a big irritant is someone forgets about them.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP just wanted to know how, not what your negative feedbacks are. Infiniti has this function from the stalk. Where the headlight turns on and the fogs will turn on as well. All he wanted to know if this was possible to be done with the Audi. Nothing more nothing less. If you cannot help him with his question. Don't post negative feedbacks. He understands he is doing this at his own risk.

maybe you can do some testing with below link. but do at your own risk

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...hlight=fatauto

Last edited by AudiQ5sleeper; 04-18-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 355 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
OP just wanted to know how, not what your negative feedbacks are. Infiniti has this function from the stalk. Where the headlight turns on and the fogs will turn on as well. All he wanted to know if this was possible to be done with the Audi. Nothing more nothing less. If you cannot help him with his question. Don't post negative feedbacks. He understands he is doing this at his own risk.

maybe you can do some testing with below link. but do at your own risk

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...hlight=fatauto
Sorry but .....
On the forum must be prepared to: help, criticism, commendations, different opinion etc. ....Not just what you want

Enjoy life

Last edited by spijun; 04-18-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: How to: Fog Lights on when Headlights are turned on??