Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How to read "clearance" for snow chains / tire chains / cables

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to read "clearance" for snow chains / tire chains / cables

How does one read the "clearance" indicator for SAE S-class chains? Is this "how much thickness is added to your tire, thus the number is telling you 'how much space you need to use these'"? Perhaps instead it's "how much space is left over when you put these chains on"? Perhaps something else?

I'm asking while I browse for a pair of emergency-only chains for my Q5. I don't expect to use them much, but I want the right fit. Is a 12mm better than a 16mm because it's thinner (or is it the reverse where teh 16mm _leaves more clearance_ )?

Pointing me at a diagram would be great - I Google'd quite a bit and couldn't find anything. I'm quite confused, so thanks in advance for any help!

Snow Chains - Thule
Old 12-27-2015, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

While you're at the Thule website take a look at the Easy Fit and K-Summit. Not cheap but very good. I have the Easy Fit and it really does what they claim: goes on and off very quickly and easily. I've reached the age where putting chains on and off is a RPA so it's worth it to me to have these. And if you don't want to mess up your alloy wheels the K-Summit solves that problem. Truth be told I have no problem with the Easy Fit hurting my rims because they come with nylon stand-offs to keep the chain from touching the rims. Google for "how to fit chains" or something like that and you'll find a lot of good articles. Tire rack used to have a good white paper.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd expect the 16mm chains to be thicker, i.e. 16mm instead of 12mm, so the ride will be rougher but they'll be biting deeper into the snowpack and you'll have more traction in those conditions. Either one is probably enough to do the job, remember you'll need 4 for the AWD. It also helps to throw some rubber gloves into the chain kit, because dry cold hands beat wet cold hands when you're fumbling in the snow. And a couple of plastic placemats or other surfaces to kneel on, again to keep your knees dry while you're playing on the ground.

I must admit the choices that are available today, so many brands and types, are dumbfounding. I'd expect that a "fiber" type using Kevlar, aramid, etc. would be better for emergency use, if only because it would be so much less likely to damage the wheels.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just found my answer on pages 6 and 7 of http://www.peerlesschain.com/wp-cont...-27.33-web.pdf
Old 12-27-2015, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Too much information.

So which chain size and type(s) do you think that means will fit the standard 18" tires, with zero risk of damaging the wheels or body?
Old 12-27-2015, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

If I remember correctly, Audi recommends chains only on the rear tires and max wheel size is 19" (maybe 18", not sure).

I needed chains to go up my cottage driveway in the winter when I had my GTI, I bought the Diamond Backs from Buy Tire Chains from CanadianChains.ca

I didn't buy any chains for the Q5. I have Nokian R2 winter tires and it goes up my driveway faster than FWD cars with chains.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

That is correct. Chains are only installed on the rear wheels. They are fine on 18" for sure and there's no reason why 19" wouldn't work unless they are too wide. The critical dimensions are fender well clearance around the tire and not being too wide in order to clear the brake mechanism.

From memory 12mm was too big for my A6 but a Q5 has different dimensions. You better check to be sure you have clearance. The manual may say, and the dealer should know. If not Audi America should answer the question. This is one you do not want to mess up. It could be costly.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Too much information.

So which chain size and type(s) do you think that means will fit the standard 18" tires, with zero risk of damaging the wheels or body?
I've got Super Z6 chains for most of my vehicles, including model SZ429 I'm getting for this Q5 (Amazon; haven't received them yet). I have bought the Z6 because that's what's convenient at my local Walmart, however, it turns out that's one of the lowest-profile chain options available today, which is nice since this application has the tightest tolerances of any vehicle I currently own. These are going on my 2012 Q5 Prestige with the stock 18" alloys. As others have said, these will only ever go on my rears (_if I ever even use them_, of course!).

My stock tires are four-season Yokohama AVD ENVigor. Those should be fine for the extremely modest winter driving I'm planning.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"If I remember correctly, Audi recommends chains only on the rear tires"
That would be disappointing. The rear tires only push you, the front tires steer you and perform typically 75% of the stopping. Having learned the hard way with snows, then studded snows, years ago, the front tires need the traction more than the rear, if you plan to steer or stop a car. (Both kinda handy, especially on black ice.)

If Audi suggests chains are unsuitable for the front, for clearance or other reasons, then I would only get real snow tires, preferably studded ones if legal.

Or buy something more suitable for winter driving, like a Unimog.(G)