Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How-To Remove Front License Plate Bracket Safely!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default How-To Remove Front License Plate Bracket Safely!

So I know a lot of people with 2013+ Q5's experience peeling on their license plate bracket and want to swap in a new one, but don't know how.
I just did this to put a new Euro plate bracket on to install my custom European plate, but thought a thorough how to would be helpful if you ever have to remove/replace it for any reason.

1) Remove license plate
2) Remove two Torx 20 bolts behind license plate
3) There are I believe 4-6 mounting points where the plate bracket snaps onto the actual grill. All you have to do is reach into your grill (where the openings are) and gently pull up on them at the same time pull the plate bracket towards you.

DO NOT PULL THE BRACKET AWAY FROM THE GRILL WITH ANY FORCE, THERE IS LITTLE TO NO WIRING SLACK FOR PEOPLE WITH FRONT PARKING SENSORS.
*I will explain how to safely remove the parking sensors in the next step.

You will see in the following picture what I am talking about with the mounting points, they are at the ends and in the middle portion:

4) Once you have the bracket free from the grill you will need to unplug the parking sensors. The easiest way is with a small pick to disengage them from the actual wiring harness plug, NOT from the bracket itself.
There is a small push tab at the end of the plug you just push down on and it will unlock the plug from the sensor seen here to the left of #1:

5) Once you do that on both sides your bracket will be free from the grill!
6) A helpful tip to re-install, install the parking sensors to the new bracket first. There is pretty much zero room to get anything behind the bracket to try and push the sensor back in while plugged in.
What you will do instead is remove the plastic bracket/shroud in your engine bay that goes over top of your headlights/intake scoop. This will allow you to go from the top down to plug the harness into the plate bracket from behind since there is a cutout in the grill to access it.

Last edited by choppstixxx; 03-15-2019 at 10:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Phunk1e (05-02-2021)
Old 03-15-2019, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Good stuff choppstixxx will come in handy for many.Mines hanging in there but eventually.....
Old 03-17-2019, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Good stuff choppstixxx will come in handy for many.Mines hanging in there but eventually.....
Mos def., just thought I'd try to help out. As there isn't any sort of write up that I've found anywhere online.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by choppstixxx
Mos def., just thought I'd try to help out. As there isn't any sort of write up that I've found anywhere online.
Here in this forum exist a complete manual( with picture) for replacing the front grill together with the front license plate holder, I can not now search
Old 06-16-2019, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front license bracket removal

Moved to NC and want to get rid of front license bracket from my 2014 Q5. I love the bare grill look, but what to do with the parking sensors? Has any one found a place to mount them without the bracket across the grill.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Factman
Moved to NC and want to get rid of front license bracket from my 2014 Q5. I love the bare grill look, but what to do with the parking sensors? Has any one found a place to mount them without the bracket across the grill.
If you go plateless the OEM blank filler plate has the holes still for the sensors. Or if you go aftermarket a lot of the RSQ5 honeycomb grills have sensor mounts as well.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by choppstixxx
If you go plateless the OEM blank filler plate has the holes still for the sensors. Or if you go aftermarket a lot of the RSQ5 honeycomb grills have sensor mounts as well.
Many thanks choppstixxx. I was afraid of that. The look I want is as below, but I guess this car has no sensors.[img]blob:https://www.audiworld.com/27747fca-014f-4a43-b7a0-5d7441c895e1[/img]
Old 04-27-2021, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default What are the specs or part number for the Torx screws holding lincense plate bracket?

When I purchased my Q5 new back in 2013 the dealer screwed my license plate on to the filler plate (see picture). The finish on filler plate is almost completely peeled off now. I'm considering buying the license plate bracket (without parking sensors), but I need to find out what size the screws are that hold it on. None of the brackets seem to come with the screws. Does anyone know where these filler plates can still be purchased?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hopkinss
When I purchased my Q5 new back in 2013 the dealer screwed my license plate on to the filler plate (see picture). The finish on filler plate is almost completely peeled off now. I'm considering buying the license plate bracket (without parking sensors), but I need to find out what size the screws are that hold it on. None of the brackets seem to come with the screws. Does anyone know where these filler plates can still be purchased?

Thanks in advance.
A little late now but your dealer should have supplied you with the license plate bracket instead of the filler plate. I went the other way when I moved to a state that doesn’t require a front plate. Removed the plate bracket and installed a filler plate like yours. You can get a plate bracket from the dealer for $$$ or look online.

Here’s one from ECS Tuning (no parking sensors) with the part number, I’m sure there are a bunch more out there.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...8r0807285lt94/

Here is a pic of the 2 screws from the plate bracket I removed and saved just in case. The rest just snaps in.

They are approx. ¾’ long w/ a torx head and a built in washer so they don’t slide through the hole. They go behind the plate so just about any sheet metal screw that size with a round head & washer should work. I’m just guessing they are a #10 or #12 x3/4” There are no pre-drilled holes for the plate itself so you have to use some short of self-tapping screws and go right into the plastic. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
hopkinss (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Exactly the info I needed. Trying to decide if I should buy the plate bracket insert or attempt to refinish the one on the car.

Thanks so much for your information!

Quick Reply: How-To Remove Front License Plate Bracket Safely!