Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

I could use some help (CV Boot / Axle)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 08:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I could use some help (CV Boot / Axle)

Hello, I have a 2015 Audi Q5 with a torn front outer CV Boot. I called a few mechanics, and most of them tell me that when this happens, it's generally best and easiest to replace the whole axle which includes the CV Boot. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Can anyone suggest a good place to buy an axle? New OEM axles seem to be priced at $1,000!! for this model but a 2012 axle is a fraction of that price. Thanks!!
Old 11-29-2018, 09:10 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

It can depend on how long it has been ripped as well. Since dirt and debris will get in there and ruin the CV joint itself. If it was ripped due to negligence, say in the unlikely event you are working on that area and a screwdriver slips and tears it then maybe you can get away with just replacing the boot but it is almost the same amount of labor.
Raxles has a good rep for re-manufacturing axles. https://www.raxles.com/
Old 11-29-2018, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for your reply, gk1! It looks like I can buy a CV Boot Kit from GKN Drivetech for $44.58, and a re-manufactured axle for $319 plus $60 shipping. There also seem to be used axles on ebay for approx $120 Any less expensive Axle options?? I have no idea when this ripped or how much dirt and debris got in. Should I just bite the bullet and get a raxle re manufacture?
Old 11-29-2018, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

I've done a lot of axle boot rebuilds (former garage owner) and any decent independant garage can do this as long as ( as gk1 stated it hasn't been seriously corrupted with crap) then they can be cleaned up, regreased. and rebooted, with good outcomes.Aftermarket axles are a real crap shoot, some Ok some really poor.If it was me and for whatever reason the rebuild wasn't viable, I'd go with an axle from a recycler (scrap) yard.Audi axle/boots are very good and a torn boot at this early stage - 2015 is likely due to some external debris etc.So buying a "recycled" is likely a good bet.I've had 3 Audi's at high mileage and have never replaced an axle or a boot.
Japanese/Korean vehicles typically experience failure due to inferior rubber they use.Not so much with the Germans.
Sorry I got carried away.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:48 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleGuy
Thank you for your reply, gk1! It looks like I can buy a CV Boot Kit from GKN Drivetech for $44.58, and a re-manufactured axle for $319 plus $60 shipping. There also seem to be used axles on ebay for approx $120 Any less expensive Axle options?? I have no idea when this ripped or how much dirt and debris got in. Should I just bite the bullet and get a raxle re manufacture?
I used raxles very long ago on my B5 S4. The stock CV itself was failing/clicking worked well for my purposes. I don’t recall how long after that I had the car but there were no issues after that. I did wheel bearings too. IIRC they use Amsoil greases which is a nice touch and the box it came in was nicely made to ship back the broken one.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Ages ago I had a torn axle boot on another car and I was fortunate enough to have a great front end shop to work with. (Sadly the owner retired and sold out to the usual batch of goniffs years a ago.) Mechanic got his head in there, said the axle really isn't damaged or scratched YET, and they could get a replacement boot on it. And that was the easy end of the matter.

So how well they can inspect the joint, how clean it is in there, what will a new cover cost you, as opposed to doing the whole axle now? Or, just putting on a good cover, and waiting to see what comes? If you plan to keep the car forever, could be worth just doing the big job. But if the damage is recent and it looks fairly clean in there...could be worth just replacing the boot, and slipping the mechanic a tip up front and asking him to make sure it is extra clean in there before he buttons it up.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Ages ago I had a torn axle boot on another car and I was fortunate enough to have a great front end shop to work with. (Sadly the owner retired and sold out to the usual batch of goniffs years a ago.) Mechanic got his head in there, said the axle really isn't damaged or scratched YET, and they could get a replacement boot on it. And that was the easy end of the matter.

So how well they can inspect the joint, how clean it is in there, what will a new cover cost you, as opposed to doing the whole axle now? Or, just putting on a good cover, and waiting to see what comes? If you plan to keep the car forever, could be worth just doing the big job. But if the damage is recent and it looks fairly clean in there...could be worth just replacing the boot, and slipping the mechanic a tip up front and asking him to make sure it is extra clean in there before he buttons it up.
Than you all for your help and advice. I had the boot replaced today $225 labor $68 part. The mechanic claims that it was a "clean job" and the axle looked good.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I think the year that they caught my torn boot during "the pain in the *** annual inspection" that the state mandates, is the year that I decided those inspections just might have SOME value after all. I mean, I can crawl around but having the car up in the air sure makes some things simpler. Of course, finding a honest mechanic to DO the inspections, that's still harder than picking the winning lotto numbers.(G)