Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Importing Phone Contacts into MMI

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just says "this name is not stored" or something like that
Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

My iPhone 5 with my 2012 Q5 will voice dial through phone contacts.
Matter of fact, if I have more than one number listed for the contact it will show all and ask for me to pick one by number ( #1, #2, #3 etc..)
Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hawk12
Matter of fact, if I have more than one number listed for the contact it will show all and ask for me to pick one by number ( #1, #2, #3 etc..)
You're right, my mistake.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sweet! So, for those of us with MY13 and the iPhone 5, there is no discernible advantage in loading anything to the MMI HD?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

What I don't like is every time I get into the Q with the wife, her iPhone connects and mine doesn't. Can't for the life of me figure out why it does that. Both phones have bluetooth on.
Thought at first it was some priority system based on which phone was originally paired first, but un-pairing and switching the order does nothing...
Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dougnash
Sweet! So, for those of us with MY13 and the iPhone 5, there is no discernible advantage in loading anything to the MMI HD?
Only advantage I can see was being able to access your contacts using someone elses or another cell phone.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

According to Audi you can import your vcard list to the internal HD through the SD slot. You can also import addresses that CAN be used/accessed by NAV.

Fast forward this video to the 2:40 mark for the MMI importing info

http://www.auditechnology.com/#2012/q5/7VrbI_0PiuE
Nope... does not work. I think video you mentioned is related to newer version of MMI, one installed in 2012 onwards (3G Navigation Plus). Regular MMI 3G HDD does not navigate to addresses stored in contacst imported via vCard from SD or phone. I made several test in defferent configurations and navigation to contact option is always grayed out. It only work for me for contacts that are created directly inside MMI. I tried to export>edit>re-import such contact to be sure that information in vCard is strictly following Audi format, but as mentioned in previous post, address section is encrypted and there is no info how (it is only known that is is BASE64 encoding, but the structure of record is unknown).
Old 02-12-2013, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mirekmal
Nope... does not work. I think video you mentioned is related to newer version of MMI, one installed in 2012 onwards (3G Navigation Plus). Regular MMI 3G HDD does not navigate to addresses stored in contacst imported via vCard from SD or phone. I made several test in defferent configurations and navigation to contact option is always grayed out. It only work for me for contacts that are created directly inside MMI. I tried to export>edit>re-import such contact to be sure that information in vCard is strictly following Audi format, but as mentioned in previous post, address section is encrypted and there is no info how (it is only known that is is BASE64 encoding, but the structure of record is unknown).
My mistake, it is for the newer MMI. I didn't notice you were in the 2011.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this - but which video specifically as there are many at this page. I cannot figure out how to import VCF files, I want to see if it imports pictures as well.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

My brand new 2014 Q5, in Canada, so no Audi Connect, states that Contacts in the directory can be used for phone and for navigation and those contacts may be read in Vcard format from an SD card. I made up a couple of my contacts in that format complete with physical addresses and phone numbers and I will try it tomorrow.

If a directory entry cannot be generated this way I think Audi are seriously missing a good trick here. I' d go for a simple USB socket where one could plug in a standard keyboard and just type the info...or even better here ( with no Audi connect) just a wifi connection and a PC app.

Quick Reply: Importing Phone Contacts into MMI