Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

3.2L Induction cleaning service - prevent carbon buildup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Business automation managemart is used for different purposes: in supporting business processes, it is needed to ensure business stability and reduce time spent and use of other resources; automation of core business processes is necessary to ensure profit growth, attract and keep customers, create competitive advantages and improve business efficiency in general.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the carbon build up from INduction engines causes deposits on the valve surfaces and prohibits the valves from closing all the way. Seems to me a worthy service if it prevents that problem. OTOH, it's a great point about the exhaust valves, but I'm guessing that side doesn't have as many deposits as its on the exhaust stroke which is much hotter and burns off any residual gasses. Is there a difference between Turbo and non-Turbo/supercharged engines for this service?
Old 07-15-2019, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

My understanding is that this problem is more likely to present a problem on the 3.0T but I've been wrong before.It happens on the 2.0LT but far less frequently than on the V6.The payoff is you.ve got a sweet motor even if you have to perform this "cleaning".I don't believe that the problem is with the valves, that's more a 2.0L thing.On the 3.0L it's more the exhaust ports.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Induction service cleaning is the big hoolie ghoulie of shop mumbo jumbo these days. At 25k it is unlikely you'd need it.

If you want to PREVENT the problem, get an indy shop to install a good catch can on your PCV hoses. That's about the size of a soda can, and it allows unburnt oil to collect in the can, instead of going back into your intake. Every month or three, you empty the can. No more oil in the intake, no more induction service cleaning ever needed.

Available in pretty anodized colors, if black or silver ain't your thing.(G)
Old 07-16-2019, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Induction service cleaning is the big hoolie ghoulie of shop mumbo jumbo these days. At 25k it is unlikely you'd need it.

If you want to PREVENT the problem, get an indy shop to install a good catch can on your PCV hoses. That's about the size of a soda can, and it allows unburnt oil to collect in the can, instead of going back into your intake. Every month or three, you empty the can. No more oil in the intake, no more induction service cleaning ever needed.

Available in pretty anodized colors, if black or silver ain't your thing.(G)
I would take up on this offer I am convinced.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
My understanding is that this problem is more likely to present a problem on the 3.0T but I've been wrong before.It happens on the 2.0LT but far less frequently than on the V6.The payoff is you.ve got a sweet motor even if you have to perform this "cleaning".I don't believe that the problem is with the valves, that's more a 2.0L thing.On the 3.0L it's more the exhaust ports.
Ah, but the Turbo puts those un-burnt exhaust gases right back into the intake, so I would think that would cause the 2.0T to have more Intake carbon.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:01 AM
FVC
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gronk
During my 25k service, my Audi dealer mentioned they offer an induction cleaning service for $200. According to them, this is preventative service that should be done every 25k to alleviate carbon build up.

Anyone know if this would actually be effective? How much would a carbon cleanup cost if out of warranty (assuming the special tool is used that I've read about here)?
I have not seen it covered under the warranty. You can find it in preventative maintenance agreements sold by dealers.
Carbon buildup is real. It affects the performance of your vehicle, and even your fuel efficiency.
carbon buildup can even cause catastrophic failure to your engine.

Automotive dealers throughout the United States offering the service charge prices ranging around $129.99 to $299.99., however, most of them are using a toxic chemical that is forced into the vehicle while it’s running, this breaks up the carbon and flushes it down stream through the exhaust system, and can damage catalytic converters or more commonly set off your check engine light. If done improperly the service can vapor lock the engine.

depending on where you live, there may be a dealership in your area that doesn’t use the toxic chemicals.