Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Just picked up a Q5

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up a Q5

Howdy folks!

New to the forum - just picked up a 2012 Audi Q5 (S-line/Prestige) the other day.
I had a nice Jaguar XK but, it was always a choice between bringing the woman or the dog since I couldn't take both. I was actually looking for an FX50 but ran in to this thing while looking around and found it to be just what I was looking for. So far, so good

And since I haven't owned an Audi since my 1988 Quattro back in the day, I thought joining a forum might be good idea.

.....and the VCDS is should be here on Thursday

First question: Is Audi Care transferable? This is supposed to be covered for another two services according to the seller.

The other ride....
Old 11-18-2014, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe Audi Care is tied to the VIN, so there shouldn't be a transfer, but you can always call the dealer and give them the VIN to run in it in their database.

Last edited by hilld; 11-18-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Perfect! I was hoping it was. That should save me the cost of the VCDS and then some.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now if you want to play around with some coding you will still need VCDS. Depending on where you are (your profile doesn't say), you might find another forum member close by willing to help you out for a donation of their favorite adult beverage.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hilld
Now if you want to play around with some coding you will still need VCDS. Depending on where you are (your profile doesn't say), you might find another forum member close by willing to help you out for a donation of their favorite adult beverage.
I'm in New Mexico (have to update my profile) I do electro mechanical type work for a living and I've always maintained my own vehicles so, I'm quite comfortable with that side of things. I just consider specialty tools part of the cost of ownership (you kind of have to if you own anything German, Italian, or British). I plan on keeping this thing for a while so I figured the VCDS would be a good investment. Now I just need to figure out how to use it
Old 11-18-2014, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DucDude
First question: Is Audi Care transferable? This is supposed to be covered for another two services according to the seller.
It was in my case. 2011MY purchased as a CPO in late 2013 with extended warranty (5 years/60K miles).
Old 11-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
It was in my case. 2011MY purchased as a CPO in late 2013 with extended warranty (5 years/60K miles).
That works for me. This one has 31K on it and I decided to go with the 75K warranty. I haven't purchased an extended warranty for 20 years but after the experience I had with my 535i I thought it might be a wise investment. And I won't even get in to dealing with the service department at the Jaguar dealer lol.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hilld
I believe Audi Care is tied to the VIN, so there shouldn't be a transfer, but you can always call the dealer and give them the VIN to run in it in their database.
Yep, there's no transfers on Audi Care, as you say it's for the vehicle itself rather than the owner. So without doing any paperwork it's available for that vehicle at any dealer until it expires. Much simpler than other brands' plans where it's tied to the owner and the dealer gives out your home phone number to the random person who bought the old vehicle after you got rid of it (our local Acura dealer years ago... terrible place).

Of course that means you can't take it with you to another vehicle if you trade in before the plan expires, but depending on the vehicle it may had already paid for itself and it could add a little extra value to the vehicle so you might get a small bit of extra money for it when selling. (If nothing else it should help make a sale quicker.)
Old 11-19-2014, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice Duck -
Love the yellow.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q5 TDI
Nice Duck -
Love the yellow.
Thanks!