Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Keeping my Q5 clean

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antirich
Cool, thanks. Just placed an order :-)
Just be sure to use a microfiber cloth when you wipe it off. Not terry cloth, not an old t-shirt. You can also use a separate damp microfiber cloth on your first pass to get rid of dust and large pieces of dirt. Then use the Enszeitt to clean off the oils on your 2nd pass with a clean microfiber cloth.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
I usually buy a pack of microfiber cloths and some windex, and start with the windows. Once I've left them nice and streaky, I contort myself into a position you would only see in cirque du soleil and attempt to wipe the pano roof.

I then use a damp cloth to wipe down the console, ridding it of dust and cookie crumbs. Dust tends to build up around the corners of the windows by the side mirrors, so I jam my cloth in there hoping to clean it up.

I then realize that my mats are covered in **** and my doors are oily and streaky like they were opened by friends after a trip to mcdonalds.

I lie down, try not to cry, cry alot, and then decide that my car is so filthy that all hope is lost.

I then take it to a detailing place on P4 of a parking garage who cleans my car inside and out for $30.
hahaha so true
Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idale
Cheaper getting it from the US distributor (save 99 cents!): http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_cockpit_premium.html

The only thing I don't like about them is that they're here in Austin but I can't just go up there and pick up so it has to ship within town.
Cockpit premium is great. Used it in my jetta before on my "leatherette" seats, worked great.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spinfunky
Cockpit premium is great. Used it in my jetta before on my "leatherette" seats, worked great.
What about the top of the dash, that plastic/leatherette stuff that gets baked when the car is parked in the sun even if you use a sunshade? I can just see the material breaking down over time from the heat and UV. I'm talking about a conditioner, not a cleaner. I have resisted the urge to apply anything, and Audi doesn't recommend anything, but I have always wondered about this.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

303 aerospace protectant is outstanding.

I first learned about it (on the TT forum of AudiWorld) when I bought a TT in 2002, and have used it since on all my vehicles. Originally designed for airplane cockpits that sit in the sun a lot parked at airports.

No shine, and protects very well against UV rays.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ATC69
303 aerospace protectant is outstanding.

I first learned about it (on the TT forum of AudiWorld) when I bought a TT in 2002, and have used it since on all my vehicles. Originally designed for airplane cockpits that sit in the sun a lot parked at airports.

No shine, and protects very well against UV rays.
I second 303. Its great everywhere but leather seats as it tends to make em a little slick and squeeky. But everywhere else is creates a nice matt finish. It will darken the plastics a little. So black dash looks a deeper black after applying( in a good way).
Old 02-10-2013, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does the 303 fog and leave a residue on the windshield inside? I'm constantly cleaning off the inside.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Plasticar
Does the 303 fog and leave a residue on the windshield inside? I'm constantly cleaning off the inside.
Not in my experience. I am very happy with the results.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

meguiars car shampoo, 2 bucket system, horse hair brush to wash with and a wool mitt to do the wheels with. dry with a micro fiber towel. clay system on exterior if necessary then wax(twice /yr) with zymol wax
Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My process every 7 days. Meguiars Gold Class Car wash with a Meguiars Micro Fiber wash mitt for the exterior paint surface. I also incorporate the two bucket system with Grit Guards. I use a third bucket for the wheels and tires with car wash soap and a boars hair wheel brush for the face of the wheel, and a mini wheel brush for the barrels of the wheels. I use diluted simple green for the tires and wheel wells. I use a dedicated tire brush for light agitation. I use an electric pressure washer for the above. I dry the paint surface with a waffle weave or thick microfiber along with Meguiars Last Touch Spray Detailer for the final dry out. The Meguiars Last Touch Spray Detailer is also used on the wheels with seperate microfiber cloths. I use Meguiars Mirror Glaze Tire and Trim Gel (waterbased) on the tires with a tire applicator sponge. The above is my exterior process. I clay and wax the paint surface on an as needed basis. The clay I use is from Clay Magic and I use Meguiars Cleaner Wax for the initial cleaning followed by Meguiars Gold Class Carnuaba Paste wax for the final coat. For the interior I vacuum all the surfaces and wipe down every surface including the leather seats with Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer with clean micro fibers cloths. Every two months or so I treat the leather seats with Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner with a microfiber cloth. Finally for the glass surfaces I use Meguiars Glass cleaner.

Quick Reply: Keeping my Q5 clean