Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Keyless Start, Drive Select, Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

There is a large retrofit market for Audi B8 cars in Europe. I will add the options I need at low cost to me even if I have to do most work by myself.

There are a lot of guides available so I believe I can do it.

Already added: Kufatec bluetooth, internal led, fog light led, license plate led, mirror caps, side moldings.
I am planning to add the following: puddle and warning door lights (have), drive select (have), reverse camera (have), keyless entry / start (need some parts), upgraded intercooler (have)
Old 05-20-2017, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Grey-
He's on Cyprus. I doubt you can just go shopping for a used rarity like a Q5 in that market, and specify all the options you might want. Or, that the packages and models are the same as they are in the US market. (Which is different even from Canada.)
The total population of Cyprus is about 1/10th that of NYC. 1/20th of the NYC greater metropolitan area. About 1/3 of 1% of the US population. And, it is an island nation. Getting cars of any kind onto an island nation smaller than the UK tends to be rather expensive, one way or another, new or used.
You think there are a lot of clean used cars to pick from there??
Old 05-20-2017, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Redd thank you for the analysis. Cyprus has 1 million population. It is hard to find a used 2.0 TFSi. Diesel is easier for repurchasing one with a few additional technologies. (mmi and kessy)

The package options are different than the USA. None of the packages comes with drive select, unless that option was selected by purchaser when ordered. Some may have added the option of kessy but it will still be not fully loaded. It is possible to order a fully loaded one from UK second hand market (we also drive on the wrong side RHD due to ex colonial remains) which will be much more expensive I believe, and without service history.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-21-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:29 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryT
The power steering rack is different on the cars that come with factory installed Drive Select. Without the rack you won't see much change.
Electromechanical power steering and dynamic steering are two different things. Neither are dependent on Drive select in any way.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Electromechanical power steering and dynamic steering are two different things. Neither are dependent on Drive select in any way.
Dynamic steering (1N7) definitely gets modified with drive select. If you opted for the drive select (ADS) option Audi included the dynamic steering rack (1N7).

Many who have retrofitted drive select and only have servotronic steering rack (1N3) they have also reported that it works too. Here is table summarizing the effects with different drive select options.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-21-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by apoelistas
Dynamic steering (1N7) definitely gets modified with drive select. If you opted for the drive select (ADS) option Audi included the dynamic steering rack (1N7).

Many who have retrofitted drive select and only have servotronic steering rack (1N3) they have also reported that it works too. Here is table summarizing the effects with different drive select options.
It works, but the change isn't as noticeable. I have two Q5 TDI's and I did the coding mod on my wife's. She can change the steering using the MMI, but it doesn't feel the same as my Q5 that came with ADS.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It works, but the change isn't as noticeable. I have two Q5 TDI's and I did the coding mod on my wife's. She can change the steering using the MMI, but it doesn't feel the same as my Q5 that came with ADS.
Thanks for your opinion. It is nice to hear that more people have also examined this tweak using the MMI menu and had success though not same satisfaction level as dynamic steering.

Having the radio concert and the 6.5" infotainment screen, I have tried to enable the ADS with VCDs, though it does work, I get diagnostic errors (missing hardware). I cannot enable the secret menu, so I cannot enable the ADS screen. Also for an error free state I need to add the 3 button ADS selector.

With MMI it is easier because you can select the ADS program on the screen. With radio concert you need to enter VCDs each time you need to change ADS program.

I think with MMi you also get diagnostic errors unless the ADS hardware is installed. Also with MMi you can add a custom ADS program.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-21-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:44 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Okay there still seems to be some confusion here. Let me help clarify.

Audi really should have chosen better terminology when naming some of their products. The word dynamic in "Dynamic Steering" is not interchangeable with the dynamic in "Dynamic mode" under the Audi Drive Select menu. It does appear that you are in another country so at the time your build options were offered, they very well may have offered the ADS option only in conjunction with Dynamic Steering, if spec'd. As far as here in the States, in order to get the Dynamic Steering, you had to order the Driver Assistance Package which included Adaptive Cruise Control as well. To further clarify, just because you have the option for "Dynamic" under the ADS menu, doesn't mean you have Dynamic Steering. This can apply to the standard servotronic as well.

YES! That is because with the standard servotronic steering, dynamic mode under the ADS menu just adds resistance to the power assist and gives it a more "direct to the road" feel. With the Dynamic Steering rack, the dynamic mode under the ADS menu not only adds the resistance (or decreases the power assist, however you want to describe it) and ALSO locks the variable turn ratio back to a 1:1.

There may be additional adaptation channels under the steering rack settings that modify power assist settings under a factory ADS equipped car. Some of these channels may not be accessible without security access. Just speculating tho.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi Drive Select Pkg - PDR
INCLUDES: Adaptive Damping System; Sports Rear Differential; Drive Select Controls; Dynamic Power Steering
REQUIRES: [WPT] Prestige Pkg
$3,673 $3,950

Differential Pkg, Sports Rear - PDU

INCLUDES: Sports Rear Differential; Audi Drive Select Controls
$1,024 $1,100

So ADS was only available with either Differential Pkg or ADS pkg factory options. I believe the ADS retrofit was discovered by enthusiasts. Otherwise Audi would have priced it. (similar to DWS which I have enabled).

Audi does not retrofit packages, and there is no SVM code to make adjustments in order to update their online database with these modifications/retrofits:
like enabling the Deflation Warning System (DWS)
like adding the ADS code to the control units
like enabling efficiency program (my instrument cluster was not activated with this, I had to firmware update first)
like enabling lap timer in order to show the engine temperature.
like enabling the battery charge status to show on the radio

All were discovered by enthusiasts and are free to implement without paying Audi any licensing fees. However, if Audi dealer resets the control units to their defaults all VCDs programming is gone.

I am not sure how ADS was offered in Europe, but probably something similar but not part of prestige package (since our packages are not based on technological improvements but only on design aspects).

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-21-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

It is most uncharitable to criticize Audi's poor Colonial English. After all, there are so many versions of English (British English, Canadian English, Kiwi English, Australian English, US English, the sadly funny versions spoken in India, the patois on Caribbean islands, need we go on?) and Audi has gone SO far out of their way, to generously not make use translate the manuals and sales literature directly from their mother tongue.

Just because a native English speaking copywriter could be hired for less than the price of one off-lease vehicle to make their literature look polished and professional....no, they have greater issues to deal with than appearing to be tourists who are really unconcerned with the US market.(G)

Quick Reply: Keyless Start, Drive Select, Keyless Entry