Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Location of cabin air intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of cabin air intake

My air conditioning system is starting to smell a bit on startup. I would like to try spraying some lysol through the plumbing to see if that will help. Does anyone know where is the external air intake for the cabin air on a Q5? I don't see any vents near the windshield wiper. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2017, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rbobby
My air conditioning system is starting to smell a bit on startup. I would like to try spraying some lysol through the plumbing to see if that will help. Does anyone know where is the external air intake for the cabin air on a Q5? I don't see any vents near the windshield wiper. Thanks!
You can get at the filter from under the glove box/passenger side. kind of have to lay on the floor, a few screws if I remember correctly and then it should slide straight down
Old 09-01-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I understand the air filter is under the glove box inside the car, but is there no air intake vent on the outside? The car must be getting fresh outside air somehow...
Old 09-01-2017, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Lift the hood, you should see some plastic grid screening on the top of the firewall. Yes, it really takes in air the conventional way.

You may also find it useful to get a can of Ozium, or a dedicated auto product, that you spray into all of the vents in the dashboard, and then run the a/c on "recirculate" mode and full heat while you stand outside for a while. Literally, cook the system with one of the anti-mildew sprays. And spray your front floor mats, in case the problem is something that is hiding in them as well.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

posted some photos of a possible secondary cabin air filter:
secondary cabin air filter

originally, instead of the filter, you'll see a plastic grid as Redd described.

to get to it, you have to remove the big piece of plastic under the wipers - would suggest either being extremely careful or buy some extra speed clips (i think that's what they're called) just in case since everything is speed clipped in and they are liable to pop off and disappear during both removal and installation.

However - not sure about the lysol. Some have used klima-cleaner which you spray into the evaporator core via the air vents with decent results. I also remember some had better results spraying into the side air vents instead of the center as instructed. Not sure it made much of a difference when i tried it - but then i may have been spraying into the wrong air vent.

Last edited by userbbc; 09-01-2017 at 08:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ajmitchie (01-14-2020)
Old 09-02-2017, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by userbbc
posted some photos of a possible secondary cabin air filter:
secondary cabin air filter

originally, instead of the filter, you'll see a plastic grid as Redd described.

to get to it, you have to remove the big piece of plastic under the wipers - would suggest either being extremely careful or buy some extra speed clips (i think that's what they're called) just in case since everything is speed clipped in and they are liable to pop off and disappear during both removal and installation.

However - not sure about the lysol. Some have used klima-cleaner which you spray into the evaporator core via the air vents with decent results. I also remember some had better results spraying into the side air vents instead of the center as instructed. Not sure it made much of a difference when i tried it - but then i may have been spraying into the wrong air vent.
Frigi-clean from BG. Also a Frigi-fresh.

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2..._cabin/replace

Last edited by shokhead; 09-02-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also would like to know where the fresh air intake is in the engine bay as I have 2 issues:
1) I get an odor from the AC sometimes. I've had the deal flush the system with foam but it seems to come back.
2) When not using the AC I get warm air from the vents even when it's cold/cool outside. For example, it could be 60 out and the air coming out of the vents 'feels like ~80+. So I either have to put the AC on or turn the system off entirely because it gets uncomfortable.

Thought about somehow running a line to the cabin intake to help get 'fresher/cooler' air.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"So I either have to put the AC on or turn the system off entirely because it gets uncomfortable."
In the US, constant forced ventilation has been mandatory since the 1970's, I believe. This is supposedly to ensure that if the ignition is on, there will always be fresh air in the cabin to prevent carbon monoxide accidents. Ridiculous, but that's the nanny state. So I would assume that Audi follows this procedure, and there will always be some forced ventilation as long as the ignition is turned on, regardless of whether the engine is running.
It then becomes one of those secret Audi things that mere owners should not bother to enquire about...perhaps Audi has also decided that air should be heated (by the electric preheat coil that is in all the AC systems) under some conditions. or perhaps the thermostat setting of the climate control system dictates heat, or perhaps it is simply the heat of the engine or the sun baking the firewall that is preheating this air.
I always found this annoying on "lesser" cars, when I was in a warm car with the engine off and cold outside air was forced in. Or in a cool car, and hot outside air was forced on me. But I'm ready to bet that this is the Audi Climate Control System, trying to keep you warm.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2011 Q5 - Clean AC of Musty, Moldy, Mildew Oder

Thx to those who’ve contributed. Same problem here and this thread was of great help - the pics made all the difference. I am including more to further help anyone else along with my own specific steps.
To access the filter under the glove box, I did have to lay down to unscrew 3 or 4 black plastic caps. This let me release a large grey foam cover. Next, I pulled on the lip of a white plastic piece which was not screwed in. This acted as a grip to help slide it off and reveal the filter which easily slides out. Since I’m not keeping this car much longer, I vacuumed the filter, sprayed it thoroughly with white vinegar and laid it in the sun to dry (both sides). I also spritzed it with some air freshener.
Next I went to the air intake under the hood by unhooking the long plastic cover just under the wipers (some patience and gentle wriggling will get it loose). I found my car had never been cleared of leaves and debris beyond this point. With a shop vac I cleared about a 30gal bag of leaves. Then with the car running I sprayed Lysol and vinegar over the air intake which is the grated area under the passenger wiper. I set the air in the car on re-circulate, forced all air to the floor and also sprayed the empty filter / airflow opening under the glovebox. I repeated this step several times for about 30 min cycling thru different air outputs on high for cold, hot and defogging.
I have no idea if this is the right way to fix this problem, but it worked like a charm for me.

2011 Q5 AC filter from below glove box

2011 Q5 AC air filter part info E2948LC Startseite - hengst.com

2011 Q5 unhooked cover to air intake and to overlooked accumulation of leaves and debris

2011 Q5 air intake sprayed with vinegar and Lysol - surrounding area below and across was also completely filled with leaves.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajmitchie
Thx to those who’ve contributed. Same problem here and this thread was of great help - the pics made all the difference. I am including more to further help anyone else along with my own specific steps.
To access the filter under the glove box, I did have to lay down to unscrew 3 or 4 black plastic caps. This let me release a large grey foam cover. Next, I pulled on the lip of a white plastic piece which was not screwed in. This acted as a grip to help slide it off and reveal the filter which easily slides out. Since I’m not keeping this car much longer, I vacuumed the filter, sprayed it thoroughly with white vinegar and laid it in the sun to dry (both sides). I also spritzed it with some air freshener.
Next I went to the air intake under the hood by unhooking the long plastic cover just under the wipers (some patience and gentle wriggling will get it loose). I found my car had never been cleared of leaves and debris beyond this point. With a shop vac I cleared about a 30gal bag of leaves. Then with the car running I sprayed Lysol and vinegar over the air intake which is the grated area under the passenger wiper. I set the air in the car on re-circulate, forced all air to the floor and also sprayed the empty filter / airflow opening under the glovebox. I repeated this step several times for about 30 min cycling thru different air outputs on high for cold, hot and defogging.
I have no idea if this is the right way to fix this problem, but it worked like a charm for me.

2011 Q5 AC filter from below glove box

2011 Q5 AC air filter part info E2948LC Startseite - hengst.com

2011 Q5 unhooked cover to air intake and to overlooked accumulation of leaves and debris

2011 Q5 air intake sprayed with vinegar and Lysol - surrounding area below and across was also completely filled with leaves.
Why did you use vinegar???

Vinegar is acidic (acid) with corrosive properties. It will accelerate the rusting of metals and affects rubber seals. What you did can affect (corrosion) the electrical connections of the HVAC door controller motors, the blower motor, and the aux heating grid, plus many other things (electrical connections, modules, etc.) in the dash. If you used a weak solution you will probably get away without any serious damage. But for others reading this I definitely would stay away from vinegar. Use the proper AC odor eater chemicals that you can buy cheap at auto stores, Walmart, and others.

Quick Reply: Location of cabin air intake