Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI interface, satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MMI interface, satellite radio

Music play in 2010 Q5. I have never owned an Audi, however, I recently bought a 2010 Q5 for my granddaughter’s 21st birthday. Despite the age and 73,000 miles, she loves it as do I. Hopefully it still has a lot of miles and years left. My question involves music. This car is the PrestigeTrim with Comfort package. It has a hell of a lot of bells and whistles but it does not have satellite radio. I thought satellite came standard on all of the trim packages particularly the Prestige, apparently not. Is there a way to add satellite radio to an existing radio? Also, I was told by the Audi parts person that the sound MMI interface connection in the glove box would only accept models up to the IPhone 4 and not a 5C IPhone regardless of any adaptor. The only thing to be done is anadaptor to let it play straight to the speakers without the interface or control through the system. Is this correct? Thanks for any and all input.

Last edited by Wilson38; 02-22-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

You should only need a subscription for Satellite Radio. You will need the radio ID# to provide to Sirius. Your owner's manual will have all the info to find it. If you don't have the owners manual look here:

Audi Online Owner's Manual
Old 02-02-2016, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks so much for the reply. However, I may have missed something as I did not see any satellite radio indications or ability to have satellite. The car is away with my granddaughter at college and I will check again when able. My only experience with satellite is within my Nissan Altima for about 3 yrs. I remember in the beginning even without service the satellite stations and markings were visible and available to select on the dials. Again, I will check soon and will be very pleased if it is as simple as a subscription for service. Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2010 Q5 should of been delivered with Sirius Satellite radio. The original brochure (here: http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/...%20Q5_2010.pdf says that it was standard equipment for all trim levels.

How you get to the satellite radio on my 2010 A6 (which should be the same) is push the AM/FM radio button, then push the top right MMI button to select "Source". You should have the options of FM, AM and Satellite or Sirius, can't remember. Scroll down to Satellite or Sirius. I'd take a picture of mine but my wife just left with the Audi.

If you don't have service, you won't see any channels. Hit the Settings button or something similar to get your radio ID. There are two ID, one is for audio and the other (data) is for traffic reports displayed on the NAV Map. The audio one is probably what you want for the music.

You can go here: https://www.siriusxm.com/sxm-tryfree and get a free two month trial since it's a used car. It worked for me, no credit card required to try it. After the two month trial is up, you can then add on regular service if you want. Or you can just skip the trial and buy the service.

This whole thing is exactly what I did on my 2010 A6, once I got the radio code, I went and activated the radio using the free trial and poof, all the stations appeared. Good luck! Come back with any more questions.

Last edited by iaflyer; 02-10-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

iaflyer, thanks a lot for your input and links. You put into a neat package many of the things I read about the satellite capability I felt sure is provided to the 2010 Prestige and all trims. I will have to wait for my granddaughter to come into town to apply the information and set up. I would just email your instructions to her but it's doubtful she would follow through as she does not yet see the need for satellite radio. Three years ago I felt the same until I experienced a few days with satellite. On another note, I have several adaptors to try on the MMI interface port in the glove compartment. In an effort to connect her IPhone 5c, she presently only has the adaptor 2.5 audio input jack adaptor. I intend to try out an apple 30pin to lightning adaptor or alternatively, I will also try a WA3000 blue tooth type wireless adaptor. All this is in an effort to allow the 5c stored music to interface with the MMI controls. She does have the Bluetooth phone connection with directory features enabled. Also, as long as I'm asking, have you periodically updated the firmware or software of the MMI or Map features of the Navigation components. I read a lot about each but am still a bit lost. I really need to have the auto at my disposal to investigate a lot of what I read. Again thanks for your previous input and also for any further comments by yourself or anyone that adds to this.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

One last general question to anyone. How do you set up the permanent postscript or id information at the bottom of one's post.

IE: 2010 Audi Q5 Prestige, Comfort Package; No Drive Select, No S Line features.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson38
One last general question to anyone. How do you set up the permanent postscript or id information at the bottom of one's post.

IE: 2010 Audi Q5 Prestige, Comfort Package; No Drive Select, No S Line features.
Where you see your user name in upper right of the AW screen in the red bar, get the pull down menu to drop down and select User CP. Same choice is found (redundantly) on left side of the red bar about 20% of the way down the screen. Then you see the signature option along the left side along with a lot of other things. Text ones and even basic font changes are as easy as same changes in a post (bold, italics, font size, etc.); the more complicated ones take some tagging or knowing how to edit it for urls, pics, etc.

AW's FAQ page that has some more details for that and other things: AudiWorld Forums - FAQ: Board FAQ

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-10-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do the 2 month free trial you can call after it expires and ask for the $20 for 5 months promo.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all input. Looks like I need to read more in the FAQs. MP4.2, looks like your Current #1 is pretty close to the Transporter 2 monster ride.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson38
iaflyer, thanks a lot for your input and links. You put into a neat package many of the things I read about the satellite capability I felt sure is provided to the 2010 Prestige and all trims. I will have to wait for my granddaughter to come into town to apply the information and set up. I would just email your instructions to her but it's doubtful she would follow through as she does not yet see the need for satellite radio. Three years ago I felt the same until I experienced a few days with satellite. On another note, I have several adaptors to try on the MMI interface port in the glove compartment. In an effort to connect her IPhone 5c, she presently only has the adaptor 2.5 audio input jack adaptor. I intend to try out an apple 30pin to lightning adaptor or alternatively, I will also try a WA3000 blue tooth type wireless adaptor. All this is in an effort to allow the 5c stored music to interface with the MMI controls. She does have the Bluetooth phone connection with directory features enabled. Also, as long as I'm asking, have you periodically updated the firmware or software of the MMI or Map features of the Navigation components. I read a lot about each but am still a bit lost. I really need to have the auto at my disposal to investigate a lot of what I read. Again thanks for your previous input and also for any further comments by yourself or anyone that adds to this.
I just added a Bluetooth adapter to my A6 the other day. The car came with a 30-pin Audi Music Interface (AMI) plug in the glovebox so I added a Apple 30-pin to Lighting adapter to plug my iPhone 6 into. It worked fine, just a stretch to plug it in every time - and the phone was in the glovebox, no way to see text messages while driving. So I researched and bought a CoolStream Carpro bluetooth adapter to plug into the 30-pin cable. Works great.
Amazon.com: Bluetooth Adapter for Audi and Volkswagen iPod iPhone AMI Cable - CoolStream CarPro: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Bluetooth Adapter for Audi and Volkswagen iPod iPhone AMI Cable - CoolStream CarPro: Cell Phones & Accessories
After much trial and reasearch, I realized that the cheap 30-pin bluetooth adapters don't work on the Audi, don't know why.

I have updated the MMI once myself, when I bought the car. I don't think it added any new features, other than perhaps fixing some bugs I didn't know about. I have not updated the map data, although I'm thinking about it. The cost of updating the maps is high - and for the number of times I use the Nav.... don't know if I'm going to do it.

Last edited by iaflyer; 02-11-2016 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: MMI interface, satellite radio