Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Mud flaps-wheel mouldings pros/cons

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Parsec
That's because Audi didn't design a big enough gasket around the hatch. The dirt comes from water run-off from the roof, down behind the rear hatch, then comes to a rest on the sill. If you do a search someone posted a DIY on how to prevent water from running down.

Do you tow a boat with your Q?
Its definitely not just water from the roof, I imagine the car creates some sort of a vortex behind it that gets the hatch dirty, or something like that. its pretty typical for hatchbacks and resumably for certain shaped SUV's as well.

just today the hatch on my Q had so much mud from snow and slush that you could barely make out the tail lights, while the front and top didn't look that bad. the crap was definitely flying around behind the car more than in the front.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there are two different issues here: in the older post, it looked to me like the older seal allowed water to enter the interior of the vehicle. That problem has been fixed.

I think the rear hatch design allows water to flow behind the rear hatch, and down the sizable hidden exterior panel behind the hatch. It then collects in the flat tailgate area of the bumper. I noticed this in some heavy wet snow over the weekend. The seal keeps the water out of the interior, but it definitely collects on the bumper. It obviously runs off the back from there but definitely leaves dirt deposits.

Or am I wrong? What's everyone else seeing?
Old 02-01-2013, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I see. Collection on the rear bumper.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AUDIIOS
I think there are two different issues here: in the older post, it looked to me like the older seal allowed water to enter the interior of the vehicle. That problem has been fixed.

I think the rear hatch design allows water to flow behind the rear hatch, and down the sizable hidden exterior panel behind the hatch. It then collects in the flat tailgate area of the bumper. I noticed this in some heavy wet snow over the weekend. The seal keeps the water out of the interior, but it definitely collects on the bumper. It obviously runs off the back from there but definitely leaves dirt deposits.

Or am I wrong? What's everyone else seeing?
Yes, the water getting into the interior has been fixed. I'm referring to the latter issue with water collecting on the sill which leaves dirt deposits. I thought I read somewhere about how to fix that, but I could be mistaken.

Originally Posted by arcS
Its definitely not just water from the roof, I imagine the car creates some sort of a vortex behind it that gets the hatch dirty, or something like that. its pretty typical for hatchbacks and resumably for certain shaped SUV's as well.
I didn't realize there was dirt collecting around the hatch aside from the water buildup, probably because I spray and wipe quick detailer 2-3x per week on the more visible areas of the car including the front, drivers door and hatch.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsackman
They fit the regular body, but not the s-line as is on the 3.0T.

I got YBM Warehouse flaps install on my white Q and I'm glad that I have them, protects the car from all that dirty. Very easy to install.

http://www.ybmwarehouseusa.com/servl...h-Guard/Detail

Old 02-04-2013, 04:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
That's because Audi didn't design a big enough gasket around the hatch. The dirt comes from water run-off from the roof, down behind the rear hatch, then comes to a rest on the sill. If you do a search someone posted a DIY on how to prevent water from running down.

Do you tow a boat with your Q?

Not a boat, but a 5x8 open trailer with bikes. They'll be almost as tall as the vehicle, so the wind will hit them directly.

I saw someone on the form that had an aftermarket spoiler on the back of their black Q5. Just a bit longer than stock, but same basic shape. I asked if that made a difference.