Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

My Q5's first 1000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JennyC
springsteen: I'm with you on the front brake dust. I have to clean it every week which adds up to the total time I spend cleaning my car. Btw, I am interested on the remedy that you have found. I've recently tried the armor all wheel protectant with some good reviews online and it has worked pretty well for me but I went through that can quick!
Armourall is the fix. And yes--you go through the can quickly. I live near Portland, OR so in the rainy season I won't bother with the wheel treatment. But in the nicer weather when I want to enjoy the beauty of the Q5 that's kept very shiny and showroom ready, I'll use the wheel treatment then.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

3 & 4 can be "fixed" with VCDS.

We're approaching 13k and the ability to use VCDS to customize/change/enable aspects/features of our Audis has got to be one of our top "likes"!

Originally Posted by Q5inPDX
Another Q5 owner here that just hit 1,000 miles. Loving the Q5. Here are my likes and dislikes (but overall, like most posts here, my likes VERY much outweigh the dislikes.)

1. The handling continually impresses me - it's so tight & precise, yet has an amazingly comfortable drive

2. The DRLs looks so great!

3. The B&O sound is superb

4. The power hatch

5. Rear seat room and ease of fold-down seats

6. Overall fit and finish - every time I get in, I marvel at the design and use of wood and aluminum trim.

DISLIKES:

1. The seat heaters are pathetic -lukewarm at best (in past Audi's, I never dared go past level 4 for fear of scalding but the in the Q5, level 4 is barely even noticeable)

2. The wipers sometimes skip and drag across the window, especially on just one quick wipe (my allroad did this too - surprised that Audi hasn't figured this one out yet)

3. Not a fan of how when you have the turn signal on, the corresponding DRL turns off - makes it look burnt out to oncoming drivers

4. The jukebox doesn't let you transfer CD's to the hard drive (my BMW allowed this and even carried over the track names, so it can't really be a copyright issue?)

Oh, and another like is this forum! It's been a daily read since I've had my Q5!

2011 P+ Ibis White w/ Black, MMI, B&O, 19"
Old 05-13-2011, 05:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm currently at around 600 miles and I'd have to mostly agree with everyone else so far. My only gripe is the navigation system. I hate the dial and wish that it was a touch screen. I came from a 2006 Lexus GS300 and the touch screen navigation system was so much easier to use, much more intuitive, and simply more efficient. The dial in the Q5 takes a lot longer to input addresses (even with voice activation). I also wish the navigation voice wasn't so robotic. Why don't they give us the option to change voices? I love everything else about the Q5 though.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5inPDX
Another Q5 owner here that just hit 1,000 miles. Loving the Q5. Here are my likes and dislikes (but overall, like most posts here, my likes VERY much outweigh the dislikes.)

1. The handling continually impresses me - it's so tight & precise, yet has an amazingly comfortable drive

2. The DRLs looks so great!

3. The B&O sound is superb

4. The power hatch

5. Rear seat room and ease of fold-down seats

6. Overall fit and finish - every time I get in, I marvel at the design and use of wood and aluminum trim.

DISLIKES:

1. The seat heaters are pathetic -lukewarm at best (in past Audi's, I never dared go past level 4 for fear of scalding but the in the Q5, level 4 is barely even noticeable)

2. The wipers sometimes skip and drag across the window, especially on just one quick wipe (my allroad did this too - surprised that Audi hasn't figured this one out yet)

3. Not a fan of how when you have the turn signal on, the corresponding DRL turns off - makes it look burnt out to oncoming drivers4. The jukebox doesn't let you transfer CD's to the hard drive (my BMW allowed this and even carried over the track names, so it can't really be a copyright issue?)

Oh, and another like is this forum! It's been a daily read since I've had my Q5!

2011 P+ Ibis White w/ Black, MMI, B&O, 19"
Yeah, that is really weird...I'm guilty of thinking that it seemed like Audi's had a lot of burned out bulbs!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007
Yeah, that is really weird...I'm guilty of thinking that it seemed like Audi's had a lot of burned out bulbs!
Whenever I see another Audi that has the default DRL behavior (the "burned out bulb" look)... I want to fix it for them!! =)
Old 05-13-2011, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by asm777
Whenever I see another Audi that has the default DRL behavior (the "burned out bulb" look)... I want to fix it for them!! =)
Can you change it? Oooh, I want to change it...I don't like it at all!
Old 05-13-2011, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007
Can you change it? Oooh, I want to change it...I don't like it at all!

How do you see it when you are sitting inside the car driving it?

I see this as a safety feature - the DRL's turning off with the turn signal. The DRL's are so bright that it reduces the visibility of the tunr signal - a trait I do not want. I want people to see my intentions that I want to turn.

I will certainly keep the default behaviour on both the Q5 and the A4.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can see your own car's DRL go off in the reflection of the car in front of you. I don't see setting them to stay on with turn signals as a safety issue, the yellow turn signal is just as bright, and in case opposing drivers miss that, they're sure to see the one on the gigantic dumbo mirrors. Changing the DRL behavior significantly increased my satisfaction with my Q5!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
You can see your own car's DRL go off in the reflection of the car in front of you. I don't see setting them to stay on with turn signals as a safety issue, the yellow turn signal is just as bright, and in case opposing drivers miss that, they're sure to see the one on the gigantic dumbo mirrors. Changing the DRL behavior significantly increased my satisfaction with my Q5!
x2!

On a similar note, something that I couldn't see while driving (but noticed first on other cars) is the behavior of the LED tail lights of the A4/S4. While Audi programmed the Q5 tail lights quite nicely, really didn't like how the A4/S4 lights were done and was recently able to get that modified to RoW specs further increasing my satisfaction with our cars!
Old 05-14-2011, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsackman
How do you see it when you are sitting inside the car driving it?

I see this as a safety feature - the DRL's turning off with the turn signal. The DRL's are so bright that it reduces the visibility of the tunr signal - a trait I do not want. I want people to see my intentions that I want to turn.

I will certainly keep the default behaviour on both the Q5 and the A4.

+100

Couldn't agree more!