Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is nav as bad as the reviews say?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is nav as bad as the reviews say?

Considering the Q5 and several of the consumer reviews I have read don't have many nice things to say about the navigation system.

Thoughts?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its an old system, its not the best, but its also not the worst. The 2013 Q5 will have the new MMI, it should be a bit better.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lisad71
Considering the Q5 and several of the consumer reviews I have read don't have many nice things to say about the navigation system.

Thoughts?
In a word...It...

"Sucks"

...but mainly because AUDI refuses to make an update available for it.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lisad71

Thoughts?
Personally, I have had nearly ZERO problems with mine - even in the absence of an update. Yes, some brand new roads (such as new construction homes) aren't on there, but by and large it has been just fine. I am a musician and travel ALOT, and it hasn't let me down yet (since 2009). I live in S.E. PA and maybe certain other locations have something to do with it's negative reviews, but I've used it all over PA, NJ, NY, DE, MD, CT and it's worked like a charm. Love the voice recognition too - but make sure you go through the "voice training" mode so it "learns" your individual voice/accent/etc. Only thing I would like to see are more POI's for times when I'm out doing leisure activities Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 03-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PJQ5S
Personally, I have had nearly ZERO problems with mine - even in the absence of an update. Yes, some brand new roads (such as new construction homes) aren't on there, but by and large it has been just fine. I am a musician and travel ALOT, and it hasn't let me down yet (since 2009). I live in S.E. PA and maybe certain other locations have something to do with it's negative reviews, but I've used it all over PA, NJ, NY, DE, MD, CT and it's worked like a charm. Love the voice recognition too - but make sure you go through the "voice training" mode so it "learns" your individual voice/accent/etc. Only thing I would like to see are more POI's for times when I'm out doing leisure activities Good luck with whatever you decide!
How do you get to the voice training mode?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Our Q5 was one of the last 2011's. We routinely find that roads from 4 or 5 years ago aren't on it...

People keep saying "brand new roads aren't on it". At least with ours, that's not the case. I would understand if that was all. My problem is roads from 2008 aren't on it. That's unreasonable.

I'm also not a fan of the input mechanism, the screen, the need to pay Sirius for traffic, etc.

Unfortunately, we LOVE the backup camera. I'd be torn if I had to do it again.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PJQ5S
Based on what you've stated, then Audi doesn't provide an update every 12 to 18 months to update the maps? Seems weird. My last Audi was a 2002 A6 which didn't offer a screen with maps back then. My new Q5 will be my first Audi with Nav. Seemed a lot like my 2011 335xi in terms of operation.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The current navi in the Q5 also have a very short list of POI, the new MMI has a bigger list.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! The cheapest handheld you can buy ($69 or so) is better. Routing is questionable, maps are outdated, and ETA calculations are ridiculous.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you don't get the nav, I think it would be a mistake, especially in a car like this. Mainly because of all the other features that comes in the technology package (built in hard drive, color lcd screen in the instrument cluster, backup camera, etc...)

All those bitch'n and moaning on here about the nav is mainly due to the lack of map updates. Otherwise I've never had a problem with it, its easy to use, and does the job.

Quick Reply: Is nav as bad as the reviews say?