Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Navigation System Road Names

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation System Road Names

I cannot find how to get the small road names to display on the Navigation at any level of Zoom. Major roads/highways show the name but not smaller roads.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

And my Nav does not show 3D even though it's set on 3D
Old 06-30-2009, 06:34 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Apparently there are only 3D maps for certain NA cities as you will see in previous threads.
Smaller roads are likely not in the database (yet). Hopefully there will be further upgdates for the maps so that we can enjoy the full capability of this Nav system. Sounds like my Garmin Nuvi has more detail than the Audi Nav has!

Premium Q5 Quartz Gray/Black/Nav/Tech/19" Canada (on order)
Old 06-30-2009, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it all depends on where you live. 3D is only available in larger cities, Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, etc. Mine also displays all streets, including smaller ones. Maybe because I am in L.A.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:27 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm taking my Q5 on a road trip from Nova Scotia to South Carolina in August, it will be interesting to see how the map changes in different areas. I will post a thread of my experience with the car and the Nav when I get back!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I live in New York City. Should not have any issues. Still can't get street names. Just big streets. I must have set some setting that turned off street names. Can't figure out which setting.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My sales rep was very excited to show me the 3D nav in the demo car,

i was in Chicago last week and even at 50yd level my nav screen was not in 3D, i think there is a problem but it can wait until the first service, i am happy otherwise
Old 06-30-2009, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I live in Phoenix and as I drive around the valley when I'm near any of the various mountains or hills they show up in 3D. I drove to San Diego last week and saw the same thing as I drove across the desert, all the hills of noticeable size showed up in 3D. In addition, when I was in downtown San Diego, all the buildings were in 3D, including Petco Field, the baseball stadium. You could actually zoom the GPS in and see in the field, very impressive. And it should be noted, the 3D buildings are the actual buildings, not just a made-up building where there might be one. Same thing in downtown Phoenix.

I think if you are not seeing ANY 3D, it's one of two things. Either your system is not working or the area your in does not support it.

phxflyboy
Old 06-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks for the info, must be pretty impressive,

like i said before, i could see 3D buildings in Chicago in the car i test drove, but i can't in mine even though its set at 3d position, is yours set to that or auto?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am NOT having an issue with 3D or 2D. I get 3D...it looks fine - it looks great! I don't really care. My issue is with teh Street NAmes. I live in a major metropolis (Forest Hills, NY 8 miles outside NYC) and I am not getting any street names except major streets and highways.

I'll sell teh car if I can't get street names.

Quick Reply: Navigation System Road Names