Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New guy here

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by JaXeN
Spijun,

Does this mean that you have the codes required to make the USA FL tailights "blink" like EU FL tail lights?
EU and U.S. version differs in the turn signal (direction indicator), for US modle is together "brake and turn signal bulb"
Old 10-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting anxious for more parts to show up! Hopefully will have time for the downpipe install this weekend as well.

Thanks again to Spijun for helping me out with some part numbers! Im sure ill have more questions for you real soon haha
Old 10-13-2014, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I decided to not be lazy and finally get my downpipe installed yesterday.
The cts piece fit great. Only downside is the lack of the extra support bracket (don't know how necessary it really is, not having any noises caused by it not being there) and the hole for one of the nuts at the 3 bolt flange was too close to the pipe to allow a socket to go over the nut.
All in all not bad for the install. Took 2hrs without any one helping out. No need for crazy swivels to get the bottom downpipe to turbo bolt out. All done from the topside of the car.
Only picture I took during the install due to dirty grimy hands haha
Name:  20141012_131858_zpsee7a826d.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  60.4 KB
Old 10-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So the q5 inner door handles (pulls) have always looked bland and just sorta awkward.
I found a set of TT / V8 R8 handles and had the seller send me some rough measurements to see if it was even within the realm of possibility to install these. I got them yesterday and after separating the handle from the housing it seems they will fit. I am at least 80% sure they will at least. I absolutely love stuff like this.. finding little details from other models and making them work on another one. So if it does not work out I won't be too bummed at least I will know the answer and be able to recoupe my $ by reselling these. anyways pictures:
Name:  20141014_162521_zps8c1bc3f8.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  29.1 KB
Name:  20141014_172412_zps37fd34c2.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  31.8 KB

The additional features of the TT / V8 R8 handles give off an appearance that they are way different, but when I held one up front side to front side of the q5 the shape is almost identical. I think worst case there will be a slight gap at the lower backside corner.

Regardless if it works or not Ill be sure to post pictures once I get one test fitted.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So unfortunately the handles dont work, which is a bummer because they look much better and are made of aluminum.. stock q5 is plastic. Maybe i'll run the idea past my machinist to see how feasible it would be to make some, or possibly modify the housing. we will see.. only $20 wasted and 20 mins of my time. not a huge deal.
The handle fits but the angle for the pin is all wrong. Picture is with pin in place :/

In other minor news: new filter showed up
Name:  20141015_183520_zpsabda7a61.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  31.0 KB
Name:  20141015_183543_zpsd3d932e8.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  44.0 KB

Some more goodies should be arriving today as well. In the mean time I've been focusing on cleaning up the car from minor flaws caused by the previous owner. peeling soft touch on the rear vents, missing emblems on the centercaps etc. Nothing BIG, I just like things to be in proper shape.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Kevin@Euroimagetuning
So unfortunately the handles dont work, which is a bummer because they look much better and are made of aluminum.. stock q5 is plastic. Maybe i'll run the idea past my machinist to see how feasible it would be to make some, or possibly modify the housing. we will see.. only $20 wasted and 20 mins of my time. not a huge deal.
The handle fits but the angle for the pin is all wrong. Picture is with pin in place

Some more goodies should be arriving today as well. In the mean time I've been focusing on cleaning up the car from minor flaws caused by the previous owner. peeling soft touch on the rear vents, missing emblems on the centercaps etc. Nothing BIG, I just like things to be in proper shape.
Careful with Air Filter
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ensor-2836866/
Air Filtration Test - MotoWiki

Last edited by spijun; 10-16-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Read it and will definitely take it into consideration.
I did some quick searches and did not see any other people that had this issue (not saying it hasn't happened, if you have any other links feel free to PM!). The thread is also 2 years old so I would think there would be more mention in the past 2 years since if it was a more "common" problem. The majority of issues with any car are related to the oiled filters (at least what I have seen).

Regardless thank you for looking out! I will keep an eye on it (scans/visual) hopefully I will have better luck.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Read the test filters from both links and you will see that the "super sports filters" are no better than the standard filter

Good luck
Old 10-16-2014, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kevin@Euroimagetuning
Read it and will definitely take it into consideration.
I did some quick searches and did not see any other people that had this issue (not saying it hasn't happened, if you have any other links feel free to PM!). The thread is also 2 years old so I would think there would be more mention in the past 2 years since if it was a more "common" problem. The majority of issues with any car are related to the oiled filters (at least what I have seen).

Regardless thank you for looking out! I will keep an eye on it (scans/visual) hopefully I will have better luck.
It's also possible that the rest of us aren't running into issues because we're using the OEM filters (whether because it's performing fine or we don't want to have any potential for MAF issues). Hard to say, hopefully you don't have issues, but nobody has spoken up that they've used filters (aFe or otherwise) successfully on a Q5 or similar either. Older vehicles sure, but as tolerances tighten eventually you start hitting issues.

Just make sure and report back the success or failure after long-term use, and keep a critical eye on that MAF so hopefully you can catch any potential issues while you can still do something about them.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Read the test filters from both links and you will see that the "super sports filters" are no better than the standard filter

Good luck
I do not care as much about any performance gains, just always been a fan of the re-useable factor. :thumbup:

Originally Posted by idale
It's also possible that the rest of us aren't running into issues because we're using the OEM filters (whether because it's performing fine or we don't want to have any potential for MAF issues). Hard to say, hopefully you don't have issues, but nobody has spoken up that they've used filters (aFe or otherwise) successfully on a Q5 or similar either. Older vehicles sure, but as tolerances tighten eventually you start hitting issues.

Just make sure and report back the success or failure after long-term use, and keep a critical eye on that MAF so hopefully you can catch any potential issues while you can still do something about them.
Possibly, but I find it hard to believe that in 2 years since that thread no one else has tried one (successful or not).
If I have to replace the MAF due to failure fine so be it. Is what it is!
As you can all see... I'm not easily deterred from trying things out. Must be my stubbornness haha!

I will let you know how things go. good bad or indifferent.

Quick Reply: New guy here