Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New to me Q5, blower not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me Q5, blower not working

Good afternoon all. I recently purchased a '10 Q5 from my brother. I had to fly out to Texas and drive it back to NJ. On my drive back the blower stopped working. The blower won't come on at all, whether in auto or if I try to set the fan speed myself; nothing. The only way I can get heat is to set the temp and drive down the highway at 75 mph. Then you can feel warm air push through the vent, sort of like a forced air induction. Even at that it takes a while for the car to warm up.
I did a search last night and the most common thing to up the HVAC blower motor resistor. Some said to change the blower also. Has anybody had this issue? Is it a tough repair? I'm fairly mechanically inclined and would prefer to fix it myself rather then have Audi empty my wallet.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2016, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the fuse? Seems obvious but often overlooked.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yep just change blower and regulator
Now the rad fans run and will not turn off
Can someone tell me where the fuse is?
It's minus 20 Celsius here and the engine is ice cold
Old 01-23-2016, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lbizzle
Yep just change blower and regulator
Now the rad fans run and will not turn off
Can someone tell me where the fuse is?
It's minus 20 Celsius here and the engine is ice cold
Interior Fuse Box Location: 2009-2014 Audi Q5 - 2010 Audi Q5 Premium 3.2L V6
Old 01-23-2016, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Already been there, does not show me exact location of rad fan fuses
Old 01-24-2016, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lbizzle
Already been there, does not show me exact location of rad fan fuses
Good info here....

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/7958-Radiator-fan-fuse-location
Old 01-24-2016, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2010 w/ 130K miles. Just last week the blower fan and controller died. $800 total dealer bill. It must be relatively easy because there was only 1 hour labor.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did some research last night. It is located behind the glove box. It doesn't look that difficult, I let you know after I'm done. The dealer always seems to change the fan and the regulator when they do this repair. I don't know if this is necessary or the dealers just chooses to change both.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just found a local place called auto haus that specialized in used Audi/vw parts. They have a blower assembly with resistor for $125 with a lifetime warranty SOLD!
Old 01-29-2016, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Deed is done. For those of you who have a blower issue, do it yourself. It was a pretty simple job. There's about 10 bolts (8mm socket) holding the glove box in place. The most difficult part is getting the iPhone interface out, you need the radio removal tool to pop it out. This must come out as it conceals one of the 8mm bolts. Fortunately for me one of my buddies is a car wholesaler and I was able to borrow the tool from him.
Once the glove box is out of the way there are two small screws holding the resistor in place. Then just pull down the tab on the fan housing and rotate it a few degrees and it drops into your hands.
After I went through all of this work to replace the fan, the old one started working again. When I pulled it out it was a bit tight, I rotated it by hand a few times in each direction and it freed up significantly. Out of curiosity I put it all the original parts back in place and started the car. Surprise! It started working again. I put everything back together again and it's still working (fingers crossed). I threw the replacement motor and resistor on a shelf in the garage. I figure it will be there when I need it.

Quick Reply: New to me Q5, blower not working