Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New Q5 breaks growl

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Q5 breaks growl

I just received my Q5 econo-banger. One thing I noticed that these breaks growl (or some other similar adjective here) when I make a full stop. I showed this to Audi dealer, but he said all cars do it. Does this sound go away by time? I'm not sure if this is breaks or something else, but definitely connected to making full stop.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's normal. It's the friction between the two materials (pad and rotor) makes a sound. Similar to kicking your foot on the ground and making a squeak on certain floors...sometimes it goes away. Other pads make less sound.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

and it's brakes...
Old 06-07-2012, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zico
I just received my Q5 econo-banger. One thing I noticed that these breaks growl (or some other similar adjective here) when I make a full stop. I showed this to Audi dealer, but he said all cars do it. Does this sound go away by time? I'm not sure if this is breaks or something else, but definitely connected to making full stop.
I've noticed the growl also but it's quieter now than when it was brand new. I'd give it some time until the break-in period is over.

BTW, don't call it a econo-banger. It may offend certain individuals on the forum. They may run to the moderator and start crying, and have you banned from the forum!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Not sure where you are located, but I have seen very few posts about OEM pads making noise in the US. Aftermarket pad yes.
I do know that the Audi dealers have a bulletin they keep for people who do notice noise. I would suggest that washing the wheels and the caliper good and then going out and bedding the pads in good should stop any noise
Old 06-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
Not sure where you are located, but I have seen very few posts about OEM pads making noise in the US. Aftermarket pad yes.
I do know that the Audi dealers have a bulletin they keep for people who do notice noise. I would suggest that washing the wheels and the caliper good and then going out and bedding the pads in good should stop any noise
I'm located at bay area. That's a good tip, thanks!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try out EBC brake pads. Audi brake pads are different materials.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get your brakes hot and the noise goes away. If you drive and brake slow, the brake growl will always be there on brakes that are broken-in. New brakes do not stop well at all, so they tend not to grab very well.

Last edited by ezveedub; 06-07-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 2012 Q5 P+ had very loud brake growl during the first hundred or so miles. I'm closing in on 2K miles and notice it during the first couple of stops, but then it goes away for the rest of the drive
Old 10-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Now I have almost 4000 miles in odometer. The situation with brakes has got better, but it's still there so much that it interferes me. Whenever there is a stop sign, I get brake growl and/or a little twitch to get the car have full stop. Maybe 1/10 times I'm able to stop so that nothing happens, but it's kind of delicate business how to handle the break, you need to stop very slowly and in the end losen up the break pedal as much that the car almost starts going forward.

Can I address this issue in my 5000 miles checking? Maybe Audicare helps here? I don't mind paying some extra for EBC pads, but those aren't authorized by Audi, right?

Quick Reply: New Q5 breaks growl