Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Newbie with non-working backup sensors / parking system on 2010 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie with non-working backup sensors / parking system on 2010 Q5

Hello gang! What a great source of info this forum is, thank you all for contributing! I just purchased my first Audi yesterday, a 2010 Q5 premium plus with nav. I've already learned a lot here. She's in great shape but needs a few minor issues sorted out, one of which is the parking system. Right now it appears to be non-functional. When I shift into reverse, there is no indication of any parking system operation - no beeps, no yellow lights, no rear camera display, nothing. The MMI screen is completely unchanged from whatever it was doing before. The "Parking System" item in the MMI setup is greyed out at all times when the engine is running. The rear backup lights do come on and I can travel in reverse.

I've read in some threads that this could be indicative of a faulty parking sensor, and that one way to check them is to listen to them closely for buzzing (with the car in reverse and powered but the engine off) and look for any that are not buzzing. I've listed to them all with a stethoscope and they are all silent. No buzzing from any of them. I'm wondering if that, combined with the lack of any other parking system indications, could mean there's something else wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance. I look forward to picking your brains with the other minor problems I've got lined up, and contributing back when I get some more knowledge of my own!

Old 02-27-2019, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

...oh, and I just ordered VCDS today so that'll be here next week, perhaps if you have any tips for diagnosis with that tool I'll be able to use it!
Old 03-01-2019, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Turns out it's probably related to rear fuse area flooded!

Dammit! So VCDS revealed fault codes indicating no signal from parking aid controller. I discovered the location of the unit in the rear cargo compartment right, along with fuse box and a few other things. The "other things" were chunks of ice and a big pool of water! About 3/8" of water pooled in the bottom, with of course the soft padding materials in the bottom all soaked, and a chunk of ice frozen into the padding (it's pretty cold here). I'm working on getting everything dried out; not sure what pieces may be damaged.

Any ideas of where this water ingress may be occurring? @jakematic suggested leaking washer fluid in a different thread, but I really think it's water.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Bummer! I'm facing a similar issue, my parking aid stopped working for once after being on and off for the last 2 months. I already ordered a 2nd hand part (8K0 919 475 AA), can you please post pictures of the location of this module in you car? I'll attempt a DIY this weekend. Thanks and good luck!

BTW, this was the error logged the last time I checked:

1 Fault Found:
01327 - Control Module for Parking Aid (J446)
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100100
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 56
Mileage: 95717 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2019.01.09
Time: 11:19:35
Old 03-01-2019, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Check out the photos in post 3 of this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ation-2887330/

the module is mounted above the fuse box on the side of the wheel well. You’ll need a 10mm socket to get the nuts off if you want to remove it. If your space is wet like mine was, you can also remove the nut holding the fuse case down and lift it out (wires still attached) so that you can get to the padding material below. I just removed it all.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks! Let’s see what I found there!
Old 03-05-2019, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Same problem

I have a 2010 Q5 and my back up camera, parking sensors aren’t working as well. I brought the Q5 back in November, they weren’t working
when I brought it. I will check the fuses in the back area and see what’s going on.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uncleiggy
Thanks! Let’s see what I found there!
Fixed! More info on this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25284453&postcount=10
Old 03-12-2019, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Fixed! I replaced my 8K0 919 475 J module with a used 8K0 919 475 R unit, and immediately the sensors started working fine. The backup camera is still not working, but I'm going to start a different thread for that one.

<edit> Oh wait, I fixed the camera too! Had to use VCDS to code the new R-version module to recognize the camera, and it came right up. Easy peasy.

Last edited by scissorfighter; 03-12-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scissorfighter
Fixed! I replaced my 8K0 919 475 J module with a used 8K0 919 475 R unit, and immediately the sensors started working fine. The backup camera is still not working, but I'm going to start a different thread for that one.
Boom!

Quick Reply: Newbie with non-working backup sensors / parking system on 2010 Q5