Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

OEM Audi windshield washer fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm guessing this stuff is not the factory fluid?

http://audi.bernardiparts.com/Produc...W-177-903.aspx
Old 08-09-2010, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I accidentally bumped the washer lever on a perfectly clean car and after it evaporated, it left quit a filmy spray mess along the front fenders, hood, and mirrors. Had to get out the detailer spray and microfiber cloth and clean up. Windshield solvent should evaporate without a trace, not leave a mess. Maybe I'll have to drain it out and refill with homemade concoction. Or perhaps it was a result of the<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="top"> </td><td colspan="2" align="left" valign="top"> Z-CS Clear Seal</td></tr></tbody></table>
that was on the car.

Last edited by ELEVENS; 08-09-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrownSeven
So I'm guessing this stuff is not the factory fluid?

http://audi.bernardiparts.com/Produc...W-177-903.aspx
Coming out of MA I doubt it. Our local grocery stores can't even carry beer. Was a culture shock coming from CA where you can get hard liquor in a Safeway.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The Saint - Remy will do the same

Talk to the mother in Law

BCD-1
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Z-CS Clear Seal[/SIZE][/FONT]</td></tr></tbody></table>
that was on the car.[/QUOTE]

My mom uses the zaino line on her cobras religiously. I noticed that if you go back and forth between zaino soap and regular soap (when washing) it leaves a film due to some kind of reaction. I did this once on my TA and learned the hard way. In the soap products they say that you can not switch back and forth or this effect will happen, a film can develop. Hope this helps
Old 08-10-2010, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
I accidentally bumped the washer lever on a perfectly clean car and after it evaporated, it left quit a filmy spray mess along the front fenders, hood, and mirrors. Had to get out the detailer spray and microfiber cloth and clean up. Windshield solvent should evaporate without a trace, not leave a mess. Maybe I'll have to drain it out and refill with homemade concoction. Or perhaps it was a result of the<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="top"> </td><td colspan="2" align="left" valign="top"> Z-CS Clear Seal</td></tr></tbody></table>
that was on the car.
Not sure what the Zaino product had to do with it?

Bob
Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pretty good write-up of the VW stuff over here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2433856
Old 08-23-2015, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I found the P21S and call me a dummy but what about the methanol?

I found the P21S and call me a dummy but what about the methanol?

I see what you say about rubbing alcohol...

Audi specifies there's because it won't damage the stainless. I assume other high quality fluids like BMW's mentioned below, would be good. Will anything without ammonia work good?

AMAZON has German mdes einszett 921008 Kristall Klar Washer Fluid Concentrate.
Amazon.com: einszett 921008 Kristall Klar Washer Fluid Concentrate - 8.5 fl. oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: einszett 921008 Kristall Klar Washer Fluid Concentrate - 8.5 fl. oz.: Automotive

Any thoughts on that?

My stealer is 45 min away...

OK here's the scoop on how it's made.
Audi won't sell it over the counter. You can pull into your stealer and get it topped off for free, but they won't sell it to you. maybe it's liability due to the high alcohol content, maybe it's the state and federal laws that limit the VOC content. I don't know, I'm not a lawyer. But I haven't been able to find any really "good stuff" premixed. So if you want the best, mix it yourself.

My Audi parts guy asked my to test the stuff because he gets this question all the time and he knows that i own a couple of analytical chemistry testing laboratories.

If you want to mix your own, here's the analysis of the Audi solvent that was in my car's reservoir. There are 4 basic ingredients:

* 10% methanol

* 10% ethanol
Some internet advice is to use rubbing alcohol as the anti-freeze. It may be readily available, but it contains about 30% oil (so it won't dry the skin). Do you really want to apply oil to your windshield?

* A surfactant package, preferably non-ionic. There are many good ones, such as P21S washer booster. Dilute as directed on the label.

* Distilled or deionized water. Tap water can be used but you run the risk of eventually plugging your nozzles with hard water deposits.

Have fun. I am hooked on this stuff, and I have friends who depend on me for the stuff. It will clean practically anything off the window, is safe on paint, is low-sudsing, and smells great (it's the ethanol).
Old 01-24-2016, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OK here's the scoop on how it's made.
Audi won't sell it over the counter. You can pull into your stealer and get it topped off for free, but they won't sell it to you.
Dealer topped it off for me last autumn, so I was shocked to discover yesterday that it didn't work (I hardly used any throughout the past months). Turned out it just froze, it was fine again today...

Any idea if I can just mix some antifreeze with it otherwise? Don't know where to find the BMW stealer over here, which seems to have antifreeze in it already
Old 01-24-2016, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't put engine coolant on your windshield. The film will be very difficult to remove.

Quick Reply: OEM Audi windshield washer fluid