Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PICS of my new Q5 (Ibis/Cinnamon) Custom S-Line

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Putting exterior badges from a higher end model on your lower end model is not a "mod".

It happens with pretty much all makes/models, and I never understood it. What's the point of labeling a vehicle something that it's not? Because the badges look cool? An attempt to make others thing that the vehicle is more than it is performance wise? or more expensive? when it's not?

Why not say that you have a "custom Q5 2.0T" instead of "custom S-line"?

I have a 2008 C6 Corvette Coupe, if I put the Z06 spoiler on the back does that make my Vette a "Custom Z06"? lol, nope, it's still a C6 Coupe, not a Z06.

It's obviously your car and you can do as you like, but this is a DISCUSSION board and you're going to have to deal with differing opinions than your own, it's just life on a message board.

IMO, up-badgeing a car is being a poseur. But what do you care what I think? My name isn't on your registration

Last edited by Thunder22; 07-10-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL
What would I be jealous of?
Perhaps your lack of taste?

You DONT have an Sline yet you insist on adding Sline logos all over your NON-Sline Q5. Great way to cheapen the look of your car.

Be happy with what you have and stop trying to make your Q5 something it's not.

BTW it will be perfect. A perfect FAIL. You should have bought a Honda.
Had OP purchased a Honda, we'd lose the privilege of hearing the magistrate's rulings on "FAIL." and this thread would be much less interesting. Although I am now seriously considering placing S-Line badges on my Acura - thanks for the suggestion!

Let it be known that I concede my personal opinion and that MOFSTEEL (note ALL CAPS) is the self appointed decision authority on all things "FAIL", and is the senior journeyman on judgements of "taste." And if you chose to listen to and pay heed to any of my declarations, that's your own fault.

Thanks for the smiles.

Originally Posted by Thunder22
Putting exterior badges from a higher end model on your lower end model is not a "mod".
...in your humble opinion. Or do you own the definition of "mod?"

IMO, up-badgeing a car is being a poseur. But what do you care what I think? My name isn't on your registration
That's more like it!

Some folks on this board need to stop looking down their respective noses at others and remove the sticks from their evacuation orifices and lighten up - differing opinions are healthy; pretentious edicts from others are annoying. In my unsolicited, humble opinion, of course.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rktcyntst
Had OP purchased a Honda, we'd lose the privilege of hearing the magistrate's rulings on "FAIL." and this thread would be much less interesting. Although I am now seriously considering placing S-Line badges on my Acura - thanks for the suggestion!

Let it be known that I concede my personal opinion and that MOFSTEEL (note ALL CAPS) is the self appointed decision authority on all things "FAIL", and is the senior journeyman on judgements of "taste." And if you chose to listen to and pay heed to any of my declarations, that's your own fault.

Thanks for the smiles.

...in your humble opinion. Or do you own the definition of "mod?"

That's more like it!

Some folks on this board need to stop looking down their respective noses at others and remove the sticks from their evacuation orifices and lighten up - differing opinions are healthy; pretentious edicts from others are annoying. In my unsolicited, humble opinion, of course.
Could you be more pedantic? Should everyone start every post with "IMO"? Differing in opinion connotates having a stick up the *** or being pretentious? lol, wow, you should really switch to decaf.
Audiworld Junior Member

Had OP purchased a Honda, we'd lose the privilege of hearing the magistrate's rulings on "FAIL." and this thread would be much less interesting.
...in YOUR opinion. D-bag.
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. All that says is I couldn't get the real deal be it cost or supply. Don't like some aspects of the Sline you could have changed them. There's at least one person on here that had their inlays swapped out. Then it would be a custom Sline.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Might as well order up some Q7 emblems.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sline on these q5s is just an appearance item. So if you want to badge up, go for it. Playing devil's advocate, some are correct that you have an opinion and so will others...not a terrible thing and should be expected. If sline were really something much different, like on my wife's a4 which is lowered from the factory, I might give a more negative opinion. In this case there's hardly a difference.

Here's my recommendation: flash the q with APR or another performance mod and folks will probably agree it would be a better sline than what the factory offered.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

...in YOUR opinion. D-bag.
As heated as some of these conversations do become, we very much try in this forum to refrain from elementary school name calling. You'll find you'll fit in here in the long run if you do so as well.

As for the up-badging of the car, I don't agree with it, but in America Honda and Nissan call some of their cars Acura and Infiniti respectively, when in most other countries they are just Hondas and Nissans. A name is a name, and a badge is a badge, its only power is in what someone chooses to believe it is, and anyone who knows anything about an S-line Audi will know his 2.0T Q5 here in the USA isn't an S-line, but if it makes him feel better, more power to him, just don't expect car geeks to accept it openly.

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 07-10-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Could you be more pedantic? Should everyone start every post with "IMO"? Differing in opinion connotates having a stick up the *** or being pretentious? lol, wow, you should really switch to decaf.
^5

Got to love how the OP's idea of a "mod" or being "custom" is sticking Sline on every interior and exterior panel of his vehicle.

I <3 this thread.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
.... we very much try in this forum to refrain from elementary school name calling... .
you mean name calling like 'poser' ?!?

We need to understand the real push about the stylishness or lack thereof started from someone driving a station wagon

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 07-10-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: PICS of my new Q5 (Ibis/Cinnamon) Custom S-Line