Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

A-pillar trim removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
I find that wires tuck nicely between the A pillar and the windshield. I ran my V1 wires there and are invisible. I would never mess with airbags unless I had to.
Did you connect your V1 power to the driver's side fuse panel?

If so, how did you get the cable down through the dash?
Old 09-29-2013, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JaXeN
Did you connect your V1 power to the driver's side fuse panel?

If so, how did you get the cable down through the dash?
There is room to hide the wire along the way to the front side of the A pillar
Old 09-30-2013, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
There is room to hide the wire along the way to the front side of the A pillar
Interesting.

I didn't think so, but now I'll take a closer look.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-pillar

Hello,
Sorry to revive an old post, however I figured if I googled this question then others must be too!

I have just completed a dash cam install, and was also nervous about pulling airbag panels and having to replace the clips (although I know it was very unlikely theairbag would have gone off).

The cables I needed to run were quite thick as there were 6 in total (Power x2, video x2 and audio x2... For those interested the video/audio have been run into the back of my stereo). I had wrapped my cables in cloth tape to make it a tidier install, and so all the cables would stay together.

I pulled off the door seal and tucked the cable underneath the trim, being mindful of the clips (it was actually quite flexible!). I then ran the cable around the top of the A Pillar trim and around so it would be up against the windshield, and then tucked it up into the headlining, leaving just the end of the cables I needed to plug into the camera on the left hand side of the rear view mirror. The headlining was easier to pry from the centre (above the rear view mirror), so I went from left to right.

Hopefully all of the above makes sense!

I'm sure there could be an easier way, and I'm not sure whether it is right to run the cables along the A Pillar, however I'm confident in the event of an accident the cable won't get in the way of the operation of the airbag.

If if anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch. I could provide images if required.

Alex
Old 02-10-2017, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

FWIW, 3M also makes small clear "wire clips" that peel-n-stick to almost anything and then snug down a couple of small wires. Not invisible but in front of the A-pillar, snugged in tight, they might be acceptable.

I simply do not trust cheap explosives, and that mean all commodity-priced air bag inflators. At the least I'd wear safety goggles working around them, but that's just me, I prefer keeping both eyes as long as I can.

Dennis, if you disconnect the battery, doesn't that trigger the infamous "I can't find my head!" behavior and drop all sorts of odd programming? I thought all the new cars threw hissy fits over this?
Old 12-08-2020, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Alex, I am running 3 cables up for a dash cam on an 2016 Audi Q5. I am trying to avoid taking the A pillar off, but don't see how you can hide the wires once you bring them down if you hide them between pillar and windshield . The dash is very snug on the bottom adjacent the pillar. Otherwise there seems to be enough room to hide wires between pillar and front windshield and windshield and top liner, but what do you do with wires once you get to the bottom of A pillar to hide them under dash?
Thanks for you help.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Don't run the wires up between the pillar and the windshield, run them up between the pillar and the door. Just fold back the rubber seal as i did.
Also, tape those 3 wires together with electrical tape so you're only running 1 wire.

When you get to the dash, pop off the fuse panel cover, #1, and that will allow you to remove the plastic piece, #2. Lots of space in there.

Last edited by Dudealicious; 12-08-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Spijun,

thank you for your post regarding removal of pillar cover. I own a 2016 Audi Q5 and believe I have the one of the two clips you described in your post. Your post does not reference a T20 bolt behind the airbag trim plastic cover so I assume there is none like many other post I have read. After removing the plastic clip labeled "AIR BAG" do you simply push up on the pillar cover to remove? Other posts indicate the cover snaps in place with clips, but from your diagram it appears that the purple clips stay mounted to pillar and you simply slide the entire pillar cover upwards to remove? I have attached a picture of the hole after I removed plastic "AIR BAG" plastic clip.

Thank you in advance for your help.

John

Old 12-08-2020, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well I got the top clip off, I'm not sure if it is the same plastic clip as the manual pics posted by spijun but if it is, looks like the purple clip came off, as I heard something slide down the pillar. (I have attached 2 pics) The other two pillar trim attachments (the center and lower) will not come loose!! grrr. I'm not sure how to release them, I thought those were easier and simple clips? Any suggestions Thanks anyone

Old 12-08-2020, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I showed you exactly how to run a wire up the A pillar yet you insist on removing the trim. Why? You are just F'ing with the side curtain airbag. And now you heard something slide down the inside of the trim.
Good luck

Quick Reply: A-pillar trim removal