Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Please drain off the oil message in the MMI

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And so the response from the dealer in regards to this is that nothing is wrong with the system and that oil reading maybe in accurate on the MMI screen when driving around. they checked the oil level with the dipstick and that corresponds to full level on the MMI. The problem does not exist as far as they care. The message was already gone by the time i got the car to them. He said don't bother to look in the MMI. If your oil is low, the dashboard will warn you.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bayridgeguy
And so the response from the dealer in regards to this is that nothing is wrong with the system and that oil reading maybe in accurate on the MMI screen when driving around. they checked the oil level with the dipstick and that corresponds to full level on the MMI. The problem does not exist as far as they care. The message was already gone by the time i got the car to them. He said don't bother to look in the MMI. If your oil is low, the dashboard will warn you.
The proper way to check your oil with the MMI is to check it after the engine is warm, shut off the engine with the car on level ground. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, then check with the MMI.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's what the MMI says too... Can I be driving all day long, and then turn the car off for 5 min and get an accurate oil reading? Or am I supposed to take the cold engine, run it until it warms up without driving it, shut if off for 5 min and then take the reading?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

i don't trust the MMI that's why i bought a dipstick.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fonseca_Q5
i don't trust the MMI that's why i bought a dipstick.
Do you have a North American Q5 w 3.2 liter engine? If so, I would really appreciate you providing a part number for it. I would love to get my hands on one. The part number provided in the post the link to which is on the first page of this thread seems to be for 2.0T engines.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bayridgeguy
Do you have a North American Q5 w 3.2 liter engine? If so, I would really appreciate you providing a part number for it. I would love to get my hands on one. The part number provided in the post the link to which is on the first page of this thread seems to be for 2.0T engines.
Yes, I have the 3.2L engine. I will post the part # tonight when i get home. I actually just received it in the mail yesterday. What I got is a universal dipstick that the Audi dealers use. You simply adjust it to the correct setting for which ever engine you have.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

sweet. that's exactly what i'm looking for. please let us know what the part number is. i think it would be helpful to many.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi should have just left the dipstick in there for back up, BTW, how much did the dipstick cost?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Audi should have just left the dipstick in there for back up, BTW, how much did the dipstick cost?
I agree. This dipstick was $200 because it's considered a "tool". It's totally a rip off but I rather have the piece of mind to be able to check it at any time rather then trust the MMI or the dealer.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by fonseca_Q5
I agree. This dipstick was $200 because it's considered a "tool". It's totally a rip off but I rather have the piece of mind to be able to check it at any time rather then trust the MMI or the dealer.
$200 is too rich for me. Since you have the universal dip stick, can I ask you if it is the same oil level marker for oil level in the Q5 3.2L as in the 2008 A6's 3.2L engine. I have both car and my dealer tell me I cannot use the dipstick from the A6 becuase the Q5 have a deep oil pan.

Quick Reply: Please drain off the oil message in the MMI