Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for info/advice

I have a 2012 Q5 2.0T and I found the TSB referencing that 2012s were included for the oil consumption test. I had the test done and it did fail. My car was manufactured in January 2012 and the engine code is CAEB and everything I’ve been reading does show this is the engine code that had issues. However the class action lawsuit only covers 2009-2011 models and the dealership is telling me they’ll cover 75% of it but I’m wondering if there is any other info out there that will help me get 100% of the repair cover. I also called Audi of America and they said they aren’t able to help and my claim was denied because my car is not part of the lawsuit and warranty. I have 76k miles on it so is within the 80k warranty but I’m not sure if that 80k is only for 2009-2011 models. I keep reading that Audi later added early models of 2012 Q5s. Are there any TSBs or other documents to back this up? Any info or advice would be appreciated! Thank you.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

rookie mistake. replied to the wrong comment, thanks lol
Old 12-11-2017, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mp66226
OK, after a couple of visits/discussions with mechanic at the local Audi dealership, share with you what I understand about the 2012 Q5 2.0t. Somewhere around 1/16/2012, the engine components/programming changed on the 2012 2.0t. Mine is earlier than that time. So, the ECM programming is such that the PCV "-AC" revision is appropriate. After that time OR if you have the ECM software updated, you must install the "-AE" PCV revision and install a newer crankshaft seal on the lower timing chain over. The newer programming changes the pressure in the crankcase so these newer parts are needed to deal with it. I took off the aftermarket PCV valve I had installed and replaced it with a OEM "-AC" rev PCV. My gas mileage has jumped back up 4-6 mpg, the car runs smoother, and it appears that my oil consumption issue is much better after 100 miles. Keep in mind I was using a quart of oil with every tank fill-up. I had driven about 80 miles and it was down about 1/3 of a quart on the screen. I've driven about 100 miles and it hasn't budged. Save yourself the time and trouble and get the right OEM PCV valve.

Regarding the whistle, based upon the experience of another poster with a very similar situation which turned out to be the waterpump, I did some looking and see that my waterpump is leaking some. I am assuming that is what is causing the whistle So, I am going to replace the water pump this weekend. And based upon the fact that it looks to be a much easier job with the intake manifold removed coupled with the fact I assume my car needs the valves/ports cleaned since it has 88k and it hasn't been done and I was pumping a lot of oil thru it recently, I am going to take care of that at the same time.

FInally, just ordered the parts and tools for the lower timing chain tensioner replacement. Probably hold off for 2-3 weeks on that one. Buying the crankshaft holder tool as well. Will look into to offering it up as a cheap "loaner" or minimal rental tool (maybe $5) if anyone is interested.

If anyone is interested in seeing pics/descriptions of anything with the intake manifold, waterpump of timing chain tensioner processes, let me know and I will try to take some and post.

Hi MP66226/Anyone who knows the answers,

My 2012 Audi Q5 was built in 2001 and sold in Nov. 2011. Recently I found that after 500 miles, the oil level dropped below the min position. I think it starts to burn too much oil. I have two questions: (1) is my model covered by the settlement? (2) what fix does it need?

Thanks/Jason
Old 04-18-2018, 01:43 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ssswharton
Hi MP66226/Anyone who knows the answers,

My 2012 Audi Q5 was built in 2001 and sold in Nov. 2011. Recently I found that after 500 miles, the oil level dropped below the min position. I think it starts to burn too much oil. I have two questions: (1) is my model covered by the settlement? (2) what fix does it need?
Thanks/Jason
Had our ‘12 (11/2011 build) with 2.0T done a couple of months ago. Waited o post this for a couple of months to check that all was well before posting.

Audi here in Canada claims that the ‘12s are not affected with the oil burning issue but after contacting Audi Canada they offered to pay 70% of the ring, piston etc of the stage 2 fix as a “good will” gesture. I also went ahead and got new timing chain and tensioner and a new water pump but those were not part of the 70% - still a cost savings as the engine was already apart.

Before the fix it was burning a liter every 1000 kms (600 miles). After the fix I’ve gone about 2000 kms (1200 miles) and so far no oil burning at all and that’s checking with dipstick that I bought when it first started burning oil.

Car now has just over 125000 kms (~78000 miles)

Last edited by rez; 04-18-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by rez

Had our ‘12 (11/2011 build) with 2.0T done a couple of months ago. Waited o post this for a couple of months to check that all was well before posting.

Audi here in Canada claims that the ‘12s are not affected with the oil burning issue but after contacting Audi Canada they offered to pay 70% of the ring, piston etc of the stage 2 fix as a “good will” gesture. I also went ahead and got new timing chain and tensioner and a new water pump but those were not part of the 70% - still a cost savings as the engine was already apart.

Before the fix it was burning a liter every 1000 kms (600 miles). After the fix I’ve gone about 2000 kms (1200 miles) and so far no oil burning at all and that’s checking with dipstick that I bought when it first started burning oil.

Car now has just over 125000 kms (~78000 miles)
That's good news!

But it is so sad that you needed to pay for such a flawed engine design. Audi should pay for the fix 100%, and compensate you for suffering!
Old 04-20-2018, 12:14 PM
I5
Audiworld Junior Member

Had oil consumption issue on 2009 A4 - ~ 1000miles full quart - - Luckily CPO - Quite a lot of work done to fix it.
Took Audi weeks to come to conclusion what to do.
35k miles later, motor just dies/won't start/CEL - Tons of codes .......of course just out of warranty.
Didn't want to deal - traded it in.
Got a pretty good trade in on a car won't start throwing tons of codes!!(I think one was timing skip, along with bunch of exhaust sensor codes)
Old 04-30-2018, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi thank you for the information. i have a 2014 Q5. i have always had to add a quart of oil right before my service appointment. when i asked they said i shouldnt worry. this past march at the 85K service (not the full service- just oil change no spark plugs etc) everything seemed ok. 3 weeks after that appointment and every week after i have had to add a quart of oil. i had my car in the shop twice over the last 2 weeks. i do not know if they did the oil consumption test.
they said they checked and there are no leaks and are suggesting that it is the pistons. Other information that might be helpful is that the car has 103K miles on it.
i am open to any and all suggestions.
thank you
Old 04-30-2018, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by dnittel
Hi thank you for the information. i have a 2014 Q5. i have always had to add a quart of oil right before my service appointment. when i asked they said i shouldnt worry. this past march at the 85K service (not the full service- just oil change no spark plugs etc) everything seemed ok. 3 weeks after that appointment and every week after i have had to add a quart of oil. i had my car in the shop twice over the last 2 weeks. i do not know if they did the oil consumption test.
they said they checked and there are no leaks and are suggesting that it is the pistons. Other information that might be helpful is that the car has 103K miles on it.
i am open to any and all suggestions.
thank you
Are you saying that high oil consumption only started after the 85K service. If so, what did the dealer do?

It's sad to say but it seems that quite a few Audi vehicles seem to have a sort of end of life at 100K, need major repairs, especially engine work.

Are you up to date on all your recalls? There was a PCV valve recall on the 2014 Q5, 2.0T, if defective it can consume oil.

I have a 2014, 2.0T and don't burn any noticeable oil at all.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Bob
yes all the issues started with or right around 90,000 miles
should I get an oil consumption test like you suggested for somebody suggested one of the posts ?
high mileage compression repair was also suggested
whst do you think
Old 05-30-2018, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by James Cunningham
Thought I would add to the discussion. Bought a 2013 2.0 Q5 in May 2017 from a VW dealer. Had 54,991 miles at time of purchase with a service sticker indicating the next oil change at 64,875. Below are my intervals for warning lights to add 1 quart of oil.

54,875 on 5/4/17 Oil change
58,012 on 7/17/17 Warning (3,137 miles)
60,033 on 8/23/17 Warning (2,021 miles)
61,733 on 9/13/17 Warning (1,700 miles)

Obviously my interval for adding 1 quart has been getting quicker. I'm not new to the audi scene (11 year B6 A4 owner & DIY'er) but I'm new to the oil consumption discussion, and as far as I can tell, MY 13's can have the issue.​​
I brought the car in for the consumption test, the light popped just under 1k miles. Service advisor stated the pistons will require replacement. They have contacted Audi and even though my vehicle was not part of the program they have decided to assist me.. They will pick up the lions share of the repair work, my portion would be $2250+ tax.

Whats the proper course of action here.. Obviously there's an issue in 2013 as well or else there wouldn't be assistance from Audi.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps