Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
But why on earth did you run an engine at roughly 3qt/1k miles for 65k miles?
What was the alternative? We got AoA involved and the customer advocate denied any assistance after months of back/forth.

Originally Posted by Norskie
The other day I was wondering if there's a market for getting really good at fixing these engines;
I was referred to a shop I believe it was in North Carolina, that tears down the engine, bores the block and rebuild the pistons for a decent price.

Our factory CAEB engine was replaced with the CPMB engine that ended up having the same issue. I tell everyone what garbage these cars are. When I see a young guy driving one, I feel sorry for the headaches he has to deal with or will have to in the near future. Funny how we pay more money to look like a fool in the end. Meanwhile European versions of these cars have no issue, just us dumb Americans buying Audi's made in Mexico.
Old 08-01-2023, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 351 Likes on 323 Posts

I am sorry that happened to you. The CPMB was not made in Mexico, it was made in Ingolstadt Germany. And many of the cars that have these issue were made in or for Europe have this problem so that is not really correct (my wife is German I go there all the time) -- it is actually the opposite in that roughly speaking the cars made in Mexico are the newer generation that have the traditional expander style oil control ring which people say solves the oil consumption problem (but we don't really know 100% for sure).

I have a CPMB at 120K miles that does not burn any significant amount of oil between OCIs and has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned.
Old 08-01-2023, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Note that Audi AG have been manufacturing all of their ICEs in their plant in Hungary, and then ships them to the European assembly plants (and probably the Mexican plant as well. As I recall, the newer electrical platforms are being manufactured in Belgium.
Old 08-16-2023, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Audi Q5 2.0 Nightmare!!!

This is what I have to add to this Forum Thread…

My husband and I bought our 2015 Audi Q5 2.0 last September from Tom Wood Volkswagen. I jumped the gun because I absolutely loved it! We should have put more research into it. BUT, we felt that TOM WOOD VOLKSWAGEN was extremely reputable and we were in good hands. Our sales person, Trey Hill, completely left us hanging so to speak. When my husband and I went to discuss all of these issues, Trey scurried off and would not even look at us. I’ve never been so disgusted or just taken advantaged of in this manner. Li[size=12px]ttle did we know that they had NO problem selling us a car one month after VW/Audi had divulged major issues and class action lawsuits that included our SUV model and year,etc. The dealership had been informed about numerous Class Action Lawsuits all along. To sum all of this up…We have my Audi sitting in our driveway since March 2023!!! It can not be driven. Yet, we pay on the loan every month. Please let me know about any situations involving 2015 Audi Q5 2.0[/size]

Old 08-16-2023, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Madamecow21

My husband and I bought our 2015 Audi Q5 2.0 last September from Tom Wood Volkswagen. I jumped the gun because I absolutely loved it! We should have put more research into it. BUT, we felt that TOM WOOD VOLKSWAGEN was extremely reputable and we were in good hands. Our sales person, Trey Hill, completely left us hanging so to speak. When my husband and I went to discuss all of these issues, Trey scurried off and would not even look at us. I’ve never been so disgusted or just taken advantaged of in this manner. Li[size=12px]ttle did we know that they had NO problem selling us a car one month after VW/Audi had divulged major issues and class action lawsuits that included our SUV model and year,etc. The dealership had been informed about numerous Class Action Lawsuits all along. To sum all of this up…We have my Audi sitting in our driveway since March 2023!!! It can not be driven. Yet, we pay on the loan every month. Please let me know about any situations involving 2015 Audi Q5 2.0[/size]
The lawsuits and reputation these engines have doesn't mean they ALL consume oil; plus quite a few have been repaired. The dealer may not have known this specific one burns either, but it is very likely that the previous owner knew it and sold/traded it to a dealer to use the dealer as a 'screen' from the anger when the next owner discovers the $5k bill to fix it.

At what point does someone create a "oil burner registry" to prevent this from happening? Or at least identify how many times that specific vehicle has been brought up here on the forums?
Old 08-16-2023, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by A6Gary
Note that Audi AG have been manufacturing all of their ICEs in their plant in Hungary, and then ships them to the European assembly plants (and probably the Mexican plant as well. As I recall, the newer electrical platforms are being manufactured in Belgium.
The VW and Audi vehicle assembly plants in Mexico use engines manufactured in Mexico.
Old 08-16-2023, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by S4'ed
The VW and Audi vehicle assembly plants in Mexico use engines manufactured in Mexico.
Just curious, is Audi AG shipping the engine parts to their Mexican plant for assembly or are all of the engine parts plus assembly performed in Mexico?
Old 08-16-2023, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

I think they cast/machine most of it there...the blocks have "Mexico" cast into the side.
Old 08-16-2023, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 351 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Madamecow21

I am sorry this happened to you. Can you provide details that might help us to be able to help advise you? It is hard to say much as you don't even say how many miles are on the vehicle or what the service history was. Why can't it be driven? There are several situations involving 2015 Audi Q5 2.0Ts including one of my favorite people here. All the engines up through the 2017 will have this problem.

If the piston rings are clogged with carbon the engine needs to be re-pistoned for about $6k at a good independent, I have posted the complete part list making it pretty easy. If the rings are not clogged up yet, you can escape oil consumption on this engine and the 3.0T, which has the same issues, by using a metallocene PAO synthetic oil (mPAO) at short change intervals.
Old 08-20-2023, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2013 A4 just recently started consuming excessive oil. I added a quart yesterday. Added a quart between the last 2 oil changes. I have just over 66K miles.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps