Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 with APR vs SQ5?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 with APR vs SQ5?

Not sure if this topic has been beaten to death but I'm pretty sure it may have been.

In the market for a Q5 3.0 TFSI with APR stage 1 tune or an SQ5. Leaning towards the Q5 with the tune based on overall up front cost savings, however, in the long run (3-5 years) what is the best option with maintenance and long term performance and repairs etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

98% the same engine so same reliability, maintenance etc.
SQ5 you don't void your warranty vs. 3.0 with tune (if they catch you).
Either way the engine is know for its reliability with or without tune so you can't go wrong.

Last edited by masemoto; 06-01-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The other items are what make the SQ5 novel...

sport seats, sport suspension, sport differential, upgraded brakes... and as mentioned above - a real warrantee.

I faced a bit of the same dilemma with choosing between upgrading my S5 or just getting the RS5. After having found that I need new catalytic converters at 33K miles ($3.5K) on my RS5, I am sure glad I have a warrantee and not arguing with the service manager that my Stage 1 tune on an S5 was not the cause....

Of course, this is a specific and not perfect example, but it is emblematic of the possible hidden costs of self-tuning.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Be warned....even if you go SQ5 you'll be tempted by the tune!
~450hp with stage II is very tempting.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Advice

Originally Posted by masemoto
Be warned....even if you go SQ5 you'll be tempted by the tune!
~450hp with stage II is very tempting.
This is also something to consider lol...

However for city driving and a kid in the back, I'm the only one who will end up using all that power.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by masemoto
98% the same engine so same reliability, maintenece etc.
SQ5 you don't void your warranty vs. 3.0 with tune (if they catch you).
Either way the engine is know for its reliability with or without tune so you can't go wrong.
From what I have read there are other tuners that maintain the factory warranty, but it's a hit and miss depending on how it's done. Factory warranty still trumps taking the risk.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:29 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I'll echo what Eric said for emphasis: brakes. The SQ5 has excellent braking (60 - 0 in 104ft). If you make yr 3.0 TFSI go faster, you'll want it to stop faster too.
Steve
Old 05-31-2017, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

The 3.0T does have a gearing advantage

That being said, if I had to do it over again, I would have started with the SQ5. Like others said, better brakes, improved intercooler radiator, dual mode exhaust, and some other minor things (I saw mention of a sport diff option, but that does not exist in the US BTW...not sure on ROW)

I still would have tuned it so warranty is/was a non factor on either, and i really dislike the SQ wheel/tire combos, but still, the brakes alone would have been a good enough reason for me. Tuned, they'll both make the same power. Keeping it stock, if that's what you plan, there's no comparison. Grab the SQ and be happy.

My $0.02
Old 05-31-2017, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
The 3.0T does have a gearing advantage

That being said, if I had to do it over again, I would have started with the SQ5. Like others said, better brakes, improved intercooler radiator, dual mode exhaust, and some other minor things (I saw mention of a sport diff option, but that does not exist in the US BTW...not sure on ROW)

I still would have tuned it so warranty is/was a non factor on either, and i really dislike the SQ wheel/tire combos, but still, the brakes alone would have been a good enough reason for me. Tuned, they'll both make the same power. Keeping it stock, if that's what you plan, there's no comparison. Grab the SQ and be happy.

My $0.02
What gearing advantage does the 3.0T have?
Old 05-31-2017, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by auntrout
What gearing advantage does the 3.0T have?
Very slightly better final drive ratio (if better acceleration is your goal)
3.0T is 3.204:1
SQ5 is 3.076:1

Honestly, it's such a slight advantage, I don't know if it even matters. Leave it to the Germans to be so precise as to design and offer 2 ratios, only 3-4% different in what's otherwise the same car

Quick Reply: Q5 with APR vs SQ5?