Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 09:26 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Q5 Brake Pads warning light at 22k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BarneyM
The Hawk pads take a little more pedal pressure but I like this as the OEM pads were a little to 'touchy' for me. All in all, very happy.
BarneyM,

How significant is the difference on the brake pedal? First thing my wife said about her new then Q5 was: "I like how it brakes...". Of course she does not wash the wheels...

Did you use new rotors as well?

thanx
Old 10-23-2010, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

The difference was noticeable but not in a negative way. I much prefer the Hawk pads over the OEM. My wife seems to agree with me. As I said, the OEM pads were a little to grabby for my liking. I did not replace the rotors because the car had only 8000 miles on it.

By the way. What I did notice and I didn't like was the amount of wear on the rotors after 8k miles. I was shocked. I have a 944turbo with over 70,000 miles on it and the original rotors have much less wear than the Q5. You can imagine that the 944 gets it's share of hard driving. The Q5 none. It's the wife's car.

Maybe all the black dust has a large amount of metal with it?
Old 10-23-2010, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
GREAT post, BarneyM. That is what a forum is all about.........assisting others, and not belittling ignorance or attempting to be the trump card post.
I'd buy you a cold one if I could.
SoonerFan

Thanks, I'll have one for you.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Brake pad lining itself doesn't affect warping, with rotors it affects to the amount of force that is required to generate the friction to slow down.
<O</O
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000]I lived in LA and commuted to down town LA (S Figueroa and 8th) and if someone on stop and go traffic is having dust issues maybe you people need to learn to drive your cars as all I saw was "step on gas - step on brakes" Is it really that hard to roll smoothly?
What is the point of that race? So you can step on the brakes and wait?<O</O

If E-brake works same way as on other Audi’s then it can be retracted with vag-com.<O</O
Hi kleinbus,

The brake dust had nothing to do with stop and go traffic. We live not far from you but up in the High Desert. Not much stop and go traffic up here. I would spend an hour cleaning the wheels and a short trip to the super market and they were covered with black dust. Haven't seen any since changing the pads.

I felt that there are some folks that do not have access to vag-com so I mentioned this work around.

Have a great day.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarneyM
.... I was shocked. I have a 944turbo with over 70,000 miles on it and the original rotors have much less wear than the Q5. You can imagine that the 944 gets it's share of hard driving. The Q5 none. It's the wife's car.
To make this comparison truthful you should tell the compound from each brake pads and Brinell or Rockwell hardness from rotors or you can skip the Brinell and tell actual molybden-chrom-etc combination of the steel used on rotors.

Even the car weigth is different so what is the point of comparison?

It's like me comparing Fiat Uno and Ferrari 599, hey those both are cars...

Hard driving doesn't mean much as your wife can be stanging on brakes all the time and it will wear out the pads.

Hard driving doesn't equal hard braking as I used to beat the crap out of familys 911 we used on race tracks and my brake need was depended on the track shape, not how fast I went and on some tracks I barely touched the brakes.

The track time shows on tires as the drifting will wear out the tire shoulders and tires itself.

Anyways, my point was...

Anyone who have been working with metals know that softer is the "donator", meaning one will always wear out.

Either pad lining material is soft (and generates dust) and it will be the pad wearing out.

Harder pads with normal rotos and the rotor will wear out.

Another story is if one changes to harder pads and harder rotors (or even to composite racing rotors)

Oh well, each of their own and when my rims get dirty I just wash the car on the driveway and if nothing else, at least I get some natural excercise...

Last edited by kleinbus; 10-24-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinbus

Oh well, each of their own and when my rims get dirty I just wash the car on the driveway and if nothing else, at least I get some natural excercise...
Yeah, but it is not very pleasant to do after temp. goes down under 50, so Nov to March it is a car wash and they do not clean the rims well enough, and if they do they use cheap acid cleaners that eventually eat the paint...

I am going to try EBC redstuff when it comes to changing the pads, but only 9K miles on Q5.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, but it is not very pleasant to do after temp. goes down under 50...

What?? 50F is still warm lovely summer...

32F is when it gets interesting but with hot water and quick hands it's just "quickie" and all that fresh air gives good apetite
Old 10-25-2010, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Takes me just a few minutes per wheel to get the dust residue off after washing and drying the Q. It's really nothing to complain about in my opinion.....and certainly not enough of a reason to swap pads. I spend more time on the windows than the wheels............

Cheers!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Takes me just a few minutes per wheel to get the dust residue off after washing and drying the Q. It's really nothing to complain about in my opinion.....and certainly not enough of a reason to swap pads. I spend more time on the windows than the wheels............

Cheers!
I agree, I started using this new non-acid rim cleaner. Just spary it on, go have a cup of coffee, come back and hose it off, no scrubbing. Years ago, I change out a pair of oem pads to a low dust pads. I didnt like the feel of the new pads. I had to push the pedal more just to get the same braking distance, and it also did not perform as well under emergency braking situation.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
I would try different pads this place has some low dust pads: http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/...h=44_2617_2618
Elevens/Reggie:

I think both of you are running Centric pads. Which part number did you get for the rears? It seems that Zeckhausen lists the wrong part number for the rear on the Q5. Centric's website lists 104.13860 vs Zeck's 104.10180.

Quick Reply: Q5 Brake Pads warning light at 22k Miles