Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

The Q5 gets a new roommate . . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really like the X1...just wondering how much smaller inside the interior is compared to the Q5.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gregshin
i really like the X1...just wondering how much smaller inside the interior is compared to the Q5.
Not bad at all in the front row. The second row is tighter for sure, and the cargo area is a lot smaller. RWD platforms have packaging disadvantages for sure. The X1 has roughly the same footprint as my Forester, yet the back seat is smaller and it holds only half the cargo.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Very hot x1! Love the body style and color... But like others have said - that cup holder! What were they thinking?! Also, not a big fan of bmw's shiftknob. Looks very nice overall, though! Congrats on the new ride.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mfpearson
Very hot x1! Love the body style and color... But like others have said - that cup holder! What were they thinking?! Also, not a big fan of bmw's shiftknob. Looks very nice overall, though! Congrats on the new ride.
I concur on the cupholder. I will say it's not a cheap as it looks. And it is removable, but I have been using it to hold my cell as it's the ideal size for my iPhone. I'm still getting used to the shifter, but I think it's going to be OK. Ask me again in a few thousand miles.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Very nice. I'm glad someone here got one because I've been looking at the X1 for months. I'll be interested in your thoughts after a few months. Did you get the 2.0, 2.0x or 3.0x?

Last edited by HaveBullDogWillTravel; 09-17-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Nice. Very nice. I'm glad someone here got one because I've been looking at the X1 for months. I'll be interested in your thoughts after a few months. Did you get the 2.0, 2.0x or 3.0x?
2.0x. I logged nearly 400 miles today - mostly highway. I didn't calculate the MPG's, but the on-board computer showed 27.3. Not bad considering roughly 80% of the miles were covered at 78 mph, and I had some Chicago city driving in there, too. The ride is not quite as smooth as the Q5's, but I haven't driven the standard suspension setup so I don't know how that compares. The M Sport's sport seats are suprisingly comfortable. We drove the X3 last year, and the seats alone took it out of contention. We discovered by accident, then confirmed today by GPS, that the speedometer is reading incorrectly. Like WAY incorrectly. About 5 mph too high to be specific! Obviously I'll have that addressed when I return to have the Auto Start reprogrammed to default to last setting rather than automatically on. (It's not as annoying as I thought it would be though.)
Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned 4 BMWs since 2002 and every one of them read higher than actual speed... about what you're experiencing. There was no fix for any of them. Hopefully, that has changed.
And ain't that steering amazing?...soooo precise and predictable.

Last edited by HaveBullDogWillTravel; 09-17-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
And ain't that steering amazing?...soooo precise and predictable.
I agree. But I'm amazed at how many people don't like it and opt for the Servotronic. I guess if you spend your time driving around parking lots or circling the block looking to parallel park, it could get a little old. But for me it's a small price to pay for real steering feel.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

is it like Lexus IS 250/350 rear seat legroom?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gregshin
is it like Lexus IS 250/350 rear seat legroom?
I don't recall ever sitting in an IS, so I really can't say how they compare. You sit lower in the X1 than you do in the Q5, so your knees are higher as they would be in a sedan. It's definitely less adult-friendly. This is what it looks like with the driver's seat adjusted for me (5' 9").
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: The Q5 gets a new roommate . . .