Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 hesitation when moving from stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to hear your problem is fixed. It seems to go away after a while for a majority of us.

Still, I wish there was some explanation from Audi why this issue exists in the first place...
Old 08-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone..

I got my Q5 last wednesday (Aug 11, 2010) and I can positively say that I have the same "problem" as john1r.

When starting from a full stop, it looks like the first gear has no power, and as soon as the car shifts into 2nd gear, it jumps forward with all the available power.

My Q5 is a 2011 V6 3.2, received it with approx 100km on the odometer (Canada).

Just wanted to let you know, and for all the new owners like me, I'll update the thread as time goes. I just hope it will go away with time as it (finally) did with john1r's car. I definitely recall the demo not doing that.

I'll keep you updated!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OmegaQ5
Hi everyone..

I got my Q5 last wednesday (Aug 11, 2010) and I can positively say that I have the same "problem" as john1r.

When starting from a full stop, it looks like the first gear has no power, and as soon as the car shifts into 2nd gear, it jumps forward with all the available power.

My Q5 is a 2011 V6 3.2, received it with approx 100km on the odometer (Canada).

Just wanted to let you know, and for all the new owners like me, I'll update the thread as time goes. I just hope it will go away with time as it (finally) did with john1r's car. I definitely recall the demo not doing that.

I'll keep you updated!
OmegaQ5, I honestly didn't go back and read the 130+ posts to see if this has been mentioned, but it could possibly be the computer learning your driving style. I've seen this mentioned many times for the A4s here on AW, but not sure about the Q5. Maybe this is why john1r's problem went away.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I have same issue since the first day I got the car, and now is 11000 miles. still...

I and in NYC and My 2010 Q5 has the same transmission hesitate issue as Bits and john1r, from the first day Sep 25, 2009.

I kept contact Audi for several times in the past year, they did try to reset the transmission and do the road test. But can`t really solve the problems. Now my car is 11,000 miles and the problem still there.

Some people said they got software update and the problem go away but never found one with my VIN. Visiting Audi in Mar 15 to change the water pump and hope they will have update for me.

I think all user who has this problem should file a complain together. Is anyone think contacting a lemon lawyer will be a good idea? Since they offer free service. Is that worth a try? Too tired with this transmission.

Originally Posted by bits
john1r, I feel exactly the same way about my new Q5. I picked it up last week, and ever since I've felt that it doesn't drive as it should. The transmission just hesitates too much when accelerating normally from stopped. I've read elsewhere that many others have this same concern. Some see it as a big enough issue that they filed reports with the NHTSA.

For me, there is basically just a delay in it getting going. I've also had it actually stutter on me when accelerating after I'd slowed to about 10km/h. It may just be that it's trying to save on gas, doing a slow gear change up to 2nd almost immediately when I begin to accelerate. I figured I'd try switching to sport mode, but that has it's own problems...it's a bit better it seems from a stop, I guess because it doesn't just go to 2nd gear right away, but it also never goes into 6th gear on the highway and revs higher all the time once you are moving at a constant speed. I had expected it to just shift more agressively and/or at higher rpms, but not keep the rpms higher all the time. That just wastes gas, makes more noise, makes it slow down faster when you take your foot off the gas, and just plain feels odd while driving.

I do not have a heavy foot. But I expect the car to go when I tell it too, with a nice even acceleration. The car accelerates and changes gears so nicely once it's moving at about 20km/h. It's just very odd.

Having said that, I've also read others say that it's just normal for Audi's, that their transmissions are not their strong point...and this is from people who continue to buy them.

Anyways, over this past week I've adjusted somewhat to the vehicles characteristics. I put my foot down further for the first second or so and then raise it back up a bit once it actually starts going, and in this way get a fairly even acceleration. But I shouldn't have to do this. My previous cars were nothing special, a Pontiac Grand Prix and a Pontiac G6 GT. The Audi has the worst shifting by far of the three...actually it's probably the worst shifting from a stop of any vehicle I've ever driven. This alone is reason enough for me to feel something is not right with my Q5.

And to be honest, if this is normal for Audi's, I'll certainly never consider buying one again.

I'm going into my Audi dealer on Saturday to drive their demo Q5, and maybe some other Audi's as well. I'm hoping that will determine whether it's truly a problem or just how they all are. I'll probably ask the service people to drive it as well for a comparison...hopefully they'll be honest with me.

My other little gripes with the Q5...
- The key is way too big and heavy. Can you imagine if all your car and house keys were that big and on a single keychain? And I hope the battery doesn't die suddenly in the key, because that's a real nuisance you have to go through to start your car without it.
- The stereo doesn't remember the volume the next time I start the car. It just seems to have it's own default volume. I've never seen another car that didn't remember the volume level.
- There is no way to easily search through your radio presets. How about buttons labelled 1 through 6, and how about up/down buttons on the steering wheel? In 25 years of driving I've never seen a car that I had to work so hard in order to quickly scan through my 6 radio presets.
- No automatic headlights (Canadian model). Come on, the base Chevy Cobalt is $11,000 and it has them. I didn't even check before I bought it...I just assumed every car had them these days.

Other than those albeit minor points, it's a really nice vehicle. If I could just get the transmission to act like every other car/SUV I've ever driven, I'd be quite a happy Audi customer.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After visiting the dealer in March. The jerk problem still appear randomly. Anyone has the same problem as mine? Still no updates for my transmission.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by john1r
Mine has a slow progression until the gear changes and then the acceleration picks up.
I test drove a Q5 for 30 minutes today and it had this issue. I will try another Q5 next week but this seems a deal breaker for me.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Of the four 3.2 Q5's I've driven, 2 had the hesitation and 2 didn't. My description of the problem is crappy transmission shift points. The Q5 I first test drove was fabulous. I even remember commenting what a nice tranny it was. When our new 2010 arrived, it was a completely different animal. BOO!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

To those with this hesitation:
The system is designed to assist the driver when
starting a vehicle from a stop on a hill. It will maintain the level of brake pressure the driver applied for
a short period of time after the driver takes their foot off of the
brake pedal. If the driver does not apply the throttle
during this short period of time, the system will release
brake pressure and the vehicle will roll. The
system will release brake pressure in proportion to
amount of throttle applied as the vehicle starts to move in
the intended direction of travel.
That said,at a stop try only putting just enough pressure on the brake to keep from moving, then when ready to move press firmly on the accelerator.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would guess that this is a 'drive by wire' system and the impulse from the mechanical gas pedal to the electronic throttle is giving you some 'slack'...

tuning usually gets rid of this on most of the other drive by wire systems I've had in the past...
or you could try this :
www.sprintbooster.us

but if you are going to spend $259 to 'fool' the system, while not put $200 more with it and get a tune that does MUCH more than fool the system
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ight=revo+sale

that's what I did...

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 01-02-2012 at 09:26 AM.