Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 HPFP, Injetors, Coils, Sparkplugs, Carbon Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 HPFP, Injetors, Coils, Sparkplugs, Carbon Buildup

Hey Everyone, First time poster, long time reader;

This website along with Google has been invaluable with my time owning a Q5 (plus the other cars I have owned) so what I wanted to do is post about my current issue with the Q5 with hopes that one day it will help someone else if they have the same issues and search on the good ole google.

I use my 2013 Q5 2.0 for work/personal so I rack up quite a bit of km's on it. Currently I am at 140k km on it with 3 years of use.

I had a few rough starts this summer but nothing crazy. It is on Lease so I have taken it in for regular service and oil changes so maintenance wise, no issues. I also exclusively use Shell V-Power and never let it run near empty.

So three weeks ago finished a big work trip and packed on about 3000km in 4 days. 3 days later a check engine light came on, but the car was working great, I figured the hard driving and the thin air (driving through mountains) maybe caused some sort of minor fault and itll work itself out. Sure enough 1 day later, light was gone. Next day, car wouldn't start. I got it towed to a mechanic that just works on VW/Audi cars, father and two sons, father worked for Audi in Germany, and he came highly recommended. My car lease is almost up so I figured I would start weening off of the dealership.

The check engine light had a handful of misfire codes, rich idle codes and some sensor codes. They first checked the sparkplugs, 2 of the 4 sparkplugs where shot. They replaced all 4 sparkplugs along with the spark coils and tried to see how it'd run, didn't run good. They opened it up and saw there was quite a bit of carbon buildup, unfortunately the carbon buildup was so bad 2/5 injectors were stuck open and soaked everything in fuel. They also said the other 2 were pretty much shot, so I decided to replace all 4. They also found that the oil reservoir was mostly fuel so they changed the oil. They got it running again but the coolant sensor wasnt working, it was soaked in fuel, same with the speed sensor. They also cleaned up some of the carbon buildup.

I picked it up 5 days later and told me to drive the hell out of it on the weekend and see how it works. I made a little journal of my driving, did close to 300km and it just didn't feel right. Rough idling, no power and acceleration. Half way through the weekend I got a P2188 rich on idle code and it stalled out. Got the father in law to clear the code and it worked for the rest of the weekend. Brought it back to the mechanic. They checked the O2 and Mass Airflow sensors again and they both looked good. The only thing left was the HPFP, (I used this website along with others to have an idea what it could be).

My mechanic swung by Audi dealership and asked a couple mechanics if they have seen the same symptoms and they said the they have replaced over a dozen HPFP for high km Q5's this year. So that was the main culprit, so Im going to drive it over the holidays as they said I should be good for a bit and get them to replace the HPFP next week.

So in conclusion if you are over 100k km on the 2013ish Q5s and you are experiencing: slight difficulties starting in any temps, rough idling, no acceleration. Misfire faults, P2188 rich idle faults, coolant sensor faults. Take a look at your injectors and HPFP as its looking like this is a common issue.

TL;DR: Carbon Buildup plus a defective High Pressure Fuel pump busted my Q5, needed to replace the HPFP, coolant sensor, speed sensor, Fuel Injectors, spark coils, and sparkplugs along with 2 oil changes to clear out the fuel in the engine/ engine oil. Cost me $3700 (work paid for most of it)

I have all the printouts for the codes I could type some of them up if you wanted. Or if you wanted a breakdown on what the $3700 paid for let me know.

Hope this helps someone someday.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It would be great if a mod could fix the title of my thread.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I can't believe a 3 year old lease vehicle with 140,000 km. That must be some kind of record for excess lease mileage. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update. After the HPFP replacement, the rough idling, and difficult starts are now gone. Car drives like it did a year ago.