Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Hybrid

I had read that Audi were going to release a Q5 Hybrid into Northamerica in 2011. Only thing I am concerned with is where is Audi getting their Hybrid technology from and how is it going to tie into their Quatro system? I just dont want to buy a system where Audi has no experience but I am keen on a Hybrid for fuel economy.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great question about the Q5 Hybrid. I wish Audi would import their Q5 3.0 TDI diesel to U.S.A. Would be a hot seller here!!! It already available in Canada and Europe two year ago.It will get 30 miles per gallon in highway and 23 miles per gallon in city. Go well....
Old 10-10-2009, 11:46 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by happyaudi
Great question about the Q5 Hybrid. I wish Audi would import their Q5 3.0 TDI diesel to U.S.A. Would be a hot seller here!!! It already available in Canada and Europe two year ago.It will get 30 miles per gallon in highway and 23 miles per gallon in city. Go well....
YES! Audi, please drop the hybrid idea and go for the 2.0 TDI and 3.0 TDI's instead for NA!!! Makes so much more sense. Way less R&D dollars, proven technology, GREAT ecomomy, excellent power and tourque, quiet and clean engines, the list goes on and on . . . I'd SO have bought the 3.0 TDI if it was available in Canada. I'm still praying we will see it in more Audi models in the next few years. I'm almost tempted to get the Q7 TDI, but it's just too darn big!!
Old 10-10-2009, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

diesel all the way. hybrids are pointless when compared to a diesel. they're more maintenance and don't last as long. besides lithium ion batteries are expensive dangerous and need to be replaced...
Old 10-10-2009, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say I'm currently against hybrids for multiple reasons, mainly economical and technological. However I wouldn't mind seeing the numbers on a diesel hybrid. Has any manufacturer developed this combination? I know it's been used in a somewhat similar form in ships, locomotives, and electric generators...minus the batteries of course.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dcarley
I just dont want to buy a system where Audi has no experience but I am keen on a Hybrid for fuel economy.
Lexus ?
and if it's actually for economy, Prius indeed
Toyota has got the technologiy, and the experience
the most other brands are obliged to plan an hybrid in order to follow the trend
For the next ten years, a diesel will remain the most economical solution, but not the cleanest..(Nox)
I delayed a diesel as long as possible, but here in Belgium you cannot trade a car with gasoline anymore
Old 10-11-2009, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

The TDI is only available on the Q7 in Canada currently, and I agree its a beastly looking vehicle, I much perfer the look of the Q5. You may however have converted me from Hybrid to Deisel. It definitely is much more proven technology, and the price of Deisel is considerably less than Petrol. However they do seem to have a certain rattly sound when they accelerate.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No way... go test drive one! Audi TDI Piezo injection is approx 27000 psi entirely different to trad diesel. Only noiseness is standing at the hood at tick over. If you trick the throttle on off gently you can hear the cam timing alter giving the tiniest of knocks but otherwise the V6 is silky smooth. You just will not get anyone to argue... who has driven it.
Go on surprise yourself!
Old 10-21-2009, 04:40 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have to agree, it's the quietest diesel engine I have heared! I test drove the new Touareg TDI V6 recently (same engine). I owned a Passat TDI before and the difference is remarkable.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:23 AM
Banned

Default quietest diesel engine

Originally Posted by DrV
I have to agree, it's the quietest diesel engine I have heared! I test drove the new Touareg TDI V6 recently (same engine). I owned a Passat TDI before and the difference is remarkable.
Can you tell us the db? I want to drive it.

Quick Reply: Q5 Hybrid