Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Hybrid due "before diesel" very disappointed if true ..

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q5 Hybrid due "before diesel" very disappointed if true ..

This interview with an Audi dealer reveals some marketing strategies and points of concern for Audi buffs.

However one must bear in mind that dealers often know less about company strategy and upcoming products than aficionados here at sites like Audiworld ...dealers are often the last to know.

With that in mind, I am disappointed that this dealer states a Q5 diesel will not be coming soon- a Hybrid would be first. This indicates possibly years before we see a Q5 TDI- if at all. At this point, I am going to have to make a tough decision. BMW is introducing a very good new clean diesel engine this year to the US. The upcoming New York Auto Show this Spring will probably be the cutoff point at which I have to make a decision whether to replace my S6, and if so whether it is a possible Audi or BMW.

As an aside- a possible A4 Allroad Avant is very intriguing as well. But really only if it is a TDI.<ul><li><a href="http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080209/ANA04/802100301/1203">http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080209/ANA04/802100301/1203</a</li></ul>
Old 02-11-2008, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds like Audi told the guy what to say/he actually knows stuff

US still likes hybrids more than diesels, with the 2.0T and the hybrid system it will likely get better fuel economy than with the 3.0 TDI, at least in EPA ratings which don't love diesels but do like hybrids. The Audi hybrid system should be quite decent and not too complicated.

You can always get the Q7 diesel.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:18 PM

Default Someday, AoA will learn how to market vehicles in America. . .

When? As Wayne says, "When monkeys fly out my butt!"

"Can Audi sell a diesel?

Yes, we can sell it and we can sell it in multiple car lines -- Q7 first. The Q5 will go hybrid first and not diesel. You can only have so many drivetrains. It comes down to pricing too. Audi has told me the unit cost of a diesel is $4,000 more but they realize they cannot sell it for $4,000 more -- the premium will be half of that. We'll sell them if they can keep pricing in line."

Johan, if you're thinking this way, you're way out of line with what this Audi owner wants and I'm sure there are more Q5 buyers on this website that want a TDI and not a hybrid. Wake up!

If it cost too much to build it in Germany, for heaven's sake open a plant here in the US. Your Japanese competitor's are kicking your butt making cars here in the good, old US. (i.e - the new diesel Honda Accord that's going to make it to the US before your A4 TDI)
Old 02-18-2008, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Americans love hearing Hybrid, TDI not so much, not a bad idea to have both

At least Audi is starting to understand things that are specific to the US. Like the love affair with hybrids and not caring about what they actually deliver. Maybe Audi sees that the EPA test is a lot kinder to hybrids than it is to diesels and it reacts to that.

This forum (any forum) is not the real world. Sales numbers are easy to look at, in the real world A3 and Avants aren't as popular as they are here, same with diesels.

And the plant is not cheap, it's not like they can just press the easy button and have a plant appear out of nowhere.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:30 PM

Default Maybe they'll surprise us and make it a diesel hybrid.

Actually, I thought the new test was just the opposite of the old one that made hybrids look better than diesels.

I think you meant to say that A3's and Avants are more popular in the rest of the world, compared to the US, where they don't sell as well as A4's and sedans.

As far as a plant goes, I was heavily invovled in their first effort back in the late 70's and early 80's - it was a diasteer! And that is being nice. The next plant, in Mexico, took over an extra year and an extra billion dollars to get the quality right. So, I can see their hestitance of trying to produce an Audi in America, when they're having a hard time trying to produce a VW's here. Just my $0.02.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Nope, the new version while tougher on hybrids has been quite hard on diesels as well

The Mercedes SUV diesels went from as highs as 21/27 to 18/24, quite a big hit.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:58 PM

Default Please, looks like the oil companies have gotten to the EPA. Probably

with monkey boy's or dead eye dick's help.