Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 "must have" options

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One other question about the backup camera: in the Q5 we test drove, when changing from Reverse to Drive, the backup camera view remained on the screen. It actually stayed there for about half a minute before the display reverted back to navigation map. Is that normal? Can this be adjusted?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
One other question about the backup camera: in the Q5 we test drove, when changing from Reverse to Drive, the backup camera view remained on the screen. It actually stayed there for about half a minute before the display reverted back to navigation map. Is that normal? Can this be adjusted?
The backup camera usually turns off after you hit a certain speed. Offhand I don't know what the speed limit is.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

FWIW, the Q5 backup camera is pretty good, and even (dare I say it) useful compared to any other I've experienced. I've got about 20k miles behind the wheel on this one, and not bragging, but I'm sure I could quickly back up, night or day, from the street into our crowded garage using nothing but the camera and the superimposed guides.

All others I have experienced prior have been essentially worthless
Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HOiYA
The backup camera usually turns off after you hit a certain speed. Offhand I don't know what the speed limit is.
Somewhere around 8mph, I think? I've never been paying too much attention (I'm watching where I'm going instead ), but somewhere around thereish. The camera and parking sensors are tied together, so until you're obviously "driving" then I think it's nice to leave the system on to warn you if you're getting too close to something, and if for some reason you needed to go forward before backing up again, it saves the system from turning off and on several times.

If you want to change the speed it turns off (can try turning it lower so it goes off sooner), you can try the VCDS mod listed here: AudiEnthusiasts Vag Com . Sounds like David never tried, and most of those codes came from A5s, so as usual no guarantees that the function's there for us on the Q5 -- but it's worth a shot at least if it bugs you.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by idale
I've never been paying too much attention (I'm watching where I'm going instead ),
Unless you don't know where you're supposed to be going, in which case you want that NAV screen to show up sooner rather than later.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Unless you don't know where you're supposed to be going, in which case you want that NAV screen to show up sooner rather than later.
You can just hit the P button on the console to turn off the camera right away. You can also hit that to turn it on when going slow in a parking lot. I like using it to show the parking spot lines when pulling through when i'm not next to anyone.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by laakness
You can just hit the P button on the console to turn off the camera right away.
Cool! Thanks.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The deal breaker for my Q5 was the B&O and at least 19" inch wheels. From the beginning I told the sales guy that my car must have the B&O sound system. I consider myself an audiophile and for me the B&O was the minimum I could expect in the car. In fact, that option was a deal breaker with the first dealer I visited: they offered me a car with the 19" inch wheels, the scuba blue with grey interior, pano roof, even with MMI which was not on my "must have" list, but no B&O so I did not go with that car.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by laakness
You can just hit the P button on the console to turn off the camera right away. You can also hit that to turn it on when going slow in a parking lot. I like using it to show the parking spot lines when pulling through when i'm not next to anyone.
Me too...

Plus using it in stop and go traffic,....comes in real handy when you want to know how close the person behind you is when they look like they are hugging your rear bumper from the rear view mirror...

S line and MMI were my two big must haves, but S Line has become something else...
Old 08-05-2014, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by - B -
Plus using it in stop and go traffic,....comes in real handy when you want to know how close the person behind you is when they look like they are hugging your rear bumper from the rear view mirror...
My Odyssey's parking sensors were always running (or were always running under some particular speed), so I'd get it beeping at me if anyone got way too close. (I'd also had it screaming at me before which meant they were way way too close... yay other drivers....) One thing I miss from that thing, but as you guys mentioned you can always turn it on manually -- I do that for pulling into the garage since I have a narrow available slot to enter in to be able to open both doors and not hit the mirror while pulling in.

Camera's definitely my absolute must-have if I had to pick one thing, though my order is pretty much all "should-haves". The camera (and sensors) really helps when backing up since I can know for sure exactly how much room I've got, and the travel lines are a good indicator of where the corners will be as I back up. I'm very cautious backing up, so I'd be doing a 27-point turn to back out in semi-tight parking lots if I couldn't see (always looks like I have less room than I do), and being able to make sure there's no traffic coming down the aisle before backing out really helps.

Quick Reply: Q5 "must have" options