Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 08:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Q5 problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericiu
The only issue I've had so far was a check engine light for a misfire (attributed to bad premium gas?). I've come from many BMWs, and the brake dust that accumulates on my Q5 is far less than any BMW I've ever driven...
Speaking about BMW - how many post you read about fuel pump failure and oil cooler problem with 335. Now this is disturbing - it's start in 2006 and even now in 2009 at list few post every week on Bimmerfest or E90Post some got in limp mode. Will be 4 yr this September after introduction of dual turbo engine from BMW for 3 and 5 - and problem is not gone.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinbus
+2

What a whining about the brake dust, we clocked 10k miles in 4 months to our Q5 and brake dust never bothered me. I just handwash the car when it needs it...

No wonder Audi doesn't bring Diesel nor DSG to NA as people as just whining and whining
I have a major complaint about the Q5...my 2010 isn't getting here fast enough
Old 07-19-2009, 05:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
Speaking about BMW - how many post you read about fuel pump failure and oil cooler problem with 335. Now this is disturbing - it's start in 2006 and even now in 2009 at list few post every week on Bimmerfest or E90Post some got in limp mode. Will be 4 yr this September after introduction of dual turbo engine from BMW for 3 and 5 - and problem is not gone.
Yeah, I actually got a letter from a law firm saying there's a class action lawsuit against BMW for the same issues. My last BMW was in '07, and it was a 5 series. Their cars are very nice drive-wise, I just wish they'd also spend equal time on their interiors.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericiu
Yeah, I actually got a letter from a law firm saying there's a class action lawsuit against BMW for the same issues. My last BMW was in '07, and it was a 5 series. Their cars are very nice drive-wise, I just wish they'd also spend equal time on their interiors.
Well, you know their slogan - nothing inside should destruct you from driving.
In opposite - Car and Driver magazine write that Audi interior design best in Automobile industry.
And if you get in to Acura TL - you will think you are in Space Shuttle Discovery.

And nothing wrong with this huge clown smile

Old 07-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by edwyun
My short list:

1. Engine "clunk" or "lurch" when rolling to a stop (appears to clear up after more miles).
2. MMI screen blanking out (apparently can be reset).
3. DRL Headlight not functioning/going out.
4. Trunk motor problems.
5. After a heavy rain or car wash, water remains between body and trunk as well as inside gas cap.
6. Rear seat latch not functioning properly.
7. Too much brake dust.
8. Metallic buzz (appears to be fuel pipeline vibrating and touching the fuel tank).
9. The reflection/glar from chrome trim when looking at side reviewed mirrors.
I have been having (2) happening.
(6) hasn't been happening to me since day one (I have 2 carseats in my car since day 1 of picking it up.

Other few things that had happened to me are:
1) Media will lost sound when selecting another song or changing album while MMI screen is up running (has to select another media source and that seems to fix it)
2) Media source detection sometimes will not see iPod. Have to unplug and plug iPod back in
3) Sometimes unlocking cannot be done through front passenger door and has to be done from back doors
Old 07-20-2009, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had the check engine light go on after about 1400 miles on my 2009 Q5 Prestige. The source of the problem was the catalytic converter malfunction which was replaced by the dealer. The rear seat back started wobbling after 1500 miles making a noise that is pretty annoying (This happens on bumpy roads). Also, trunk won't always open from the button on the trunk but will open fine with the remote or the release button on the driver's door.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

can i assume that the 2010's would have incorporated some bug fixes??
Old 07-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My MMI screen just blanked out. Not sure what I did to get it going again but it did restart.

I also had a problem in that the trunk would not close when I pushed the power button. I just forced it closed.

Cooling is bad. Does not cool in very hot weather. Also the AC is very loud.

Agree with the brake dust. The chrome wheels get black very quickly.

I also have the glare in the side view mirrors. It really is bad.

My short list:

1. Engine "clunk" or "lurch" when rolling to a stop (appears to clear up after more miles).
2. MMI screen blanking out (apparently can be reset).
3. DRL Headlight not functioning/going out.
4. Trunk motor problems.
5. After a heavy rain or car wash, water remains between body and trunk as well as inside gas cap.
6. Rear seat latch not functioning properly.
7. Too much brake dust.
8. Metallic buzz (appears to be fuel pipeline vibrating and touching the fuel tank).
9. The reflection/glar from chrome trim when looking at side reviewed mirrors.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Today while driving i wanted to manually switch on low beams. Twisted the switch in position, the low beams stay off or go off and DRL also goes off,in other words no light what so ever. However all works well in Auto. Anyone else with the same problem? Many drivers probably wont even notice this as people just leave the light switch on auto.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my low beams and DRL's both go off only in the "off" position. If i switch to the low beams only, that's what I get (low beams ignite and the DRL's go out).

Quick Reply: Q5 problems