Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q5 TDI

Yesterday, while driving in Atherton, California I saw a white Q5 TDI; it appeared to be a promotional/demo vehicle because it had TDI emblazoned on it in big blue lettering. I had to do a double take because as far as I know the TDI Q5 is not available for sale anywhere in the US and it will not be until sometime next year. “Whose car is that and what is it doing around here?” I thought to myself…

This evening, I stopped by the Audi dealer in San Jose and asked about that TDI. They said they had no knowledge of it and were surprised to hear a TDI Q5 was anywhere in the States; the car certainly did not come from their dealership.

Have any of you seen a TDI Q5 anywhere in the US?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BayGBM
Yesterday, while driving in Atherton, California I saw a white Q5 TDI; it appeared to be a promotional/demo vehicle because it had TDI emblazoned on it in big blue lettering. I had to do a double take because as far as I know the TDI Q5 is not available for sale anywhere in the US and it will not be until sometime next year. “Whose car is that and what is it doing around here?” I thought to myself…

This evening, I stopped by the Audi dealer in San Jose and asked about that TDI. They said they had no knowledge of it and were surprised to hear a TDI Q5 was anywhere in the States; the car certainly did not come from their dealership.

If you guys RELLY want TDIs it should be possible to order from Europe...

I live in Norway (north of Europe) and got my Q5 a few weeks ago, and my salesrep. said they shipped cars to several other contries. Some customers want the "nordic" version (e.g. additional heater for TDIs for cold weather).

I don't see any reason why you cant order a car from Europe, and have it delivered in the US.

There are some differences: We have S-tronic (DSG) transmission, not tip-tronic (classical automatic transmission). 3.2L is not available, but we got 2.0 turbo (has the about same power as 3.2L, but better milage). Also 2.0TDI and 3.0TDI.

All extras (a LONG list) is optional, and is not linked to Prestige / Prestige PLUS versions.

Visit http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/new_cars/q5.html (english) and play around with the car configurator.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw same thing at my Audi dealer here in Florida; white w/blue TDI lettering; however it was a Q7.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by frodo74
If you guys RELLY want TDIs it should be possible to order from Europe...

I live in Norway (north of Europe) and got my Q5 a few weeks ago, and my salesrep. said they shipped cars to several other contries. Some customers want the "nordic" version (e.g. additional heater for TDIs for cold weather).

I don't see any reason why you cant order a car from Europe, and have it delivered in the US.

There are some differences: We have S-tronic (DSG) transmission, not tip-tronic (classical automatic transmission). 3.2L is not available, but we got 2.0 turbo (has the about same power as 3.2L, but better milage). Also 2.0TDI and 3.0TDI.

All extras (a LONG list) is optional, and is not linked to Prestige / Prestige PLUS versions.

Visit http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/new_cars/q5.html (english) and play around with the car configurator.
frodo74, for some stupid reason (read law requirements), we can't order any car that build outside of US, if that car was not specifically made for USA.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That would be impossible. The car would never make it off the ship and we would never be able to register it here. We have emissions laws that prevent us from ordering cars that are not made for us specifically.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by frodo74

frodo74's message made me think. No S-Tronic (DSG) transmission in the Q5 in US/Canada? I had no idea! So I had to check with Audi Canada and it is true. The transmission offered in America is different from that currently offered in Europe. I thought it is 100% the same 3.2l engine. Too bad.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'd take a 3.0 TDI Q5 in a heartbeat! I can only imagine the Torque
Old 05-21-2009, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Did you call Audi in Palo Alto to see if they know anything about it ?