Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Took a round trip today from central New Hampshire to Springfield, MA- about 140 miles each way. Trip computer only indicated 34.0 each way. I’ve done that drive many times and broke 40. The power is fine, it still feels like getting rear ended when you stomp on the throttle, but the MPG is down by more than the 1mpg the booklet stated. I won’t know fully until I’ve tracked a few tanks, but to have the trip computer show that type of disparity...
Old 06-08-2018, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't trust the computer to be all that accurate. I think it's closer now after the fix but it was always optimistic before that. I always calculate mileage and for our 2015 Q5 TDI, that hasn't changed all that much. It's down a little but not by much (probably within the 1 mpg spec).
Old 06-08-2018, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

^^My fuelly calculated mpg’s, reported above, went down 0.6 (so far) after 10 tanks post fix. I always use manual override, after warmup, to stay in lower rpms if available. The ECU and TCU will hold a manual gear for me down to 1100 rpms. Low rpms are a less fuel-efficient for the engine when working, but you save big when you are coasting. Click on my fully badge for more information. YMMV
Old 06-08-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the bottom line in regard to Audi's claimed 1 MPG reduction, is the comparison from pre-fix to post-fix EPA MPG. The high MPG (way above pre-fix EPA sticker) we are experienced was an artifact of the emissions fraud.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I think the bottom line in regard to Audi's claimed 1 MPG reduction, is the comparison from pre-fix to post-fix EPA MPG. The high MPG (way above pre-fix EPA sticker) we are experienced was an artifact of the emissions fraud.
+1
Old 06-08-2018, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Additional thought: it’s the warmup regime that is taking the biggest chunk out of mpg’s. It’s completely possible for many drivers who live in suburbia to do an hour’s worth of errands and never get out of warmup phase. Since I live in the boonies my car is warm and I’m only halfway to town, having stopped at only one sign. Hence, I have almost no decline.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im seeing about a 2 to 3 mpg reduction. Power is good except I do see the intermittent 'lag' from hammer down until it decides to do something.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, everyone, for their input to this thread!

I've got a question & an update.

First, does anyone know if an O2 sensor is covered under the extended emissions warranty? I'm thinking that may depend on what the O2 sensor does...sorry for my ignorance on that. If it's post-combustion, I think it would be covered.

Here's an update on our experience after the fix (I posted way back in late JAN/early FEB after getting the fix done):
Vehicle - 2014 Q5 Premium Plus - purchased new and drove off dealer lot on 31 DEC 2013. No after-market chips used, but thinking about that after reading some comments in this thread. (A separate question about transmissions: Are they all the same in the Q5 TDIs? I ask because I've seen some mention paddle shifters, which my vehicle does not have. I can push the shifter over to the right and shift up and down manually, but there're no paddles on the steering wheel in my Q5. So, just wondering if Audi did a transmission switch at some point?)
Emissions fix completed on 24 JAN 2018 at 93,619 miles.
Current mileage is just over 100,000.
We live in a semi-rural, changing to suburban, area, so we've got a lot of flat, straight two-lane roads through farm fields, traffic congestion at certain times of the day and, since we're close to beaches, summer tourist traffic. Fortunately we can avoid most of the congestion. Speed limits tend to be 45 or 50 on many of the two-lane roads, and 55 on the highways. Occasional jaunts to the "big city" will see us on freeways with a 65 limit, but cruising around 80 when possible. So, mostly highway mileage, very little stop-and-go, with some 'suburban' travel mixed in.
Findings:
Overall mileage before the fix was 32.7 mpg, over about 2860 gallons of fuel.
Mileage since the fix is 29.4 mpg, using about 196 gallons. So, it's a drop for sure, but still not bad, IMO, for the vehicle. The new EPA sticker lists 26 mpg combined, 23 city, 30 highway. I think these sticker numbers are each 1 MPG lower than the original EPA numbers.
Problems so far after fix:
1. NOX sensor had to be replaced - covered under warranty.
2. Shift points are higher, even after the engine has warmed up.
3. Occasional hesitation when she's pushed hard from low speed. I've seen this described various different ways in this thread, and maybe even a suggestion of turbo lag (though I may be mistaken about that), but here's an example of what happens: I make a slow (10 mph or less) 90-degree turn from a side road into an acceleration lane for the highway and hit the accelerator to the floor to get up to speed to merge, but the car just sits for a second or less before jumping on it. But that second can sometimes make the difference whether or not I can merge into the break in traffic I was aiming for.
4. This may no longer be an issue, or it may come back again: The engine used to run 'rough'. Not hesitating (except as mentioned in 3), nor missing, just 'rough'...not sure how else to describe it. But, with the warmer weather, that seems to have gone away. She's always been happier, even before the fix, with the warmer weather...just spreads her wings and flies, sipping teeny bits of fuel. So this may come back when summer's over, or maybe not.
5. Now we've got a 'check engine' code of P0133, which is an O2 sensor fault, I believe.

Thanks again for all the info on this thread and elsewhere!

Last edited by svitale03; 06-21-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by svitale03

First, does anyone know if an O2 sensor is covered under the extended emissions warranty? I'm thinking that may depend on what the O2 sensor does...sorry for my ignorance on that. If it's post-combustion, I think it would be covered.

Here's an update on our experience after the fix (I posted way back in late JAN/early FEB after getting the fix done):
Vehicle - 2014 Q5 Premium Plus - purchased new and drove off dealer lot on 31 DEC 2013. No after-market chips used, but thinking about that after reading some comments in this thread. (A separate question about transmissions: Are they all the same in the Q5 TDIs? I ask because I've seen some mention paddle shifters, which my vehicle does not have. I can push the shifter over to the right and shift up and down manually, but there're no paddles on the steering wheel in my Q5. So, just wondering if Audi did a transmission switch at some point?)
We live in a semi-rural, changing to suburban, area, so we've got a lot of flat, straight two-lane roads through farm fields, traffic congestion at certain times of the day and, since we're close to beaches, summer tourist traffic. Fortunately we can avoid most of the congestion. Speed limits tend to be 45 or 50 on many of the two-lane roads, and 55 on the highways. Occasional jaunts to the "big city" will see us on freeways with a 65 limit, but cruising around 80 when possible. So, mostly highway mileage, very little stop-and-go, with some 'suburban' travel mixed in.
Findings:
Mileage since the fix is 29.4 mpg, using about 196 gallons. So, it's a drop for sure, but still not bad, IMO, for the vehicle. The new EPA sticker lists 26 mpg combined, 23 city, 30 highway. I think these sticker numbers are each 1 MPG lower than the original EPA numbers.
3. Occasional hesitation when she's pushed hard from low speed. I've seen this described various different ways in this thread, and maybe even a suggestion of turbo lag (though I may be mistaken about that), but here's an example of what happens: I make a slow (10 mph or less) 90-degree turn from a side road into an acceleration lane for the highway and hit the accelerator to the floor to get up to speed to merge, but the car just sits for a second or less before jumping on it. But that second can sometimes make the difference whether or not I can merge into the break in traffic I was aiming for.
4. This may longer be an issue, or it may come back again: The engine used to run 'rough'. Not hesitating (except as mentioned in 3), nor missing, just 'rough'...not sure how else to describe it. But, with the warmer weather, that seems to have gone away. She's always been happier, even before the fix, with the warmer weather...just spreads her wings and flies, sipping teeny bits of fuel. So this may come back when summer's over, or maybe not.
5. Now we've got a 'check engine' code of P0133, which is an O2 sensor fault, I believe.

FWIW our experience on a fixed Q7 over 7000 miles has been very similar except for the component failures. I would expect the O2 sensor to be covered also. This summer ours is performing really normally. Will oddities return next fall? Time will tell.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by svitale03

Findings:
4. This may longer be an issue, or it may come back again: The engine used to run 'rough'. Not hesitating (except as mentioned in 3), nor missing, just 'rough'...not sure how else to describe it. But, with the warmer weather, that seems to have gone away. She's always been happier, even before the fix, with the warmer weather...just spreads her wings and flies, sipping teeny bits of fuel. So this may come back when summer's over, or maybe not.

Paddle shifters were part of the sport package that included, I think, upgraded seats and maybe another thing or two. Not a different tranny. All Q5 trannies are ZF 8 speeds. The paddle shifters enable me to select a higher gear when I am cruising on country roads, and that saves me a little mpg’s. The engine has to be fully warm to do this. While still in warm-up, I have noticed that simply driving in D does as well or even a little better than manual. As I have written earlier, my mpg’s have dropped somewhere between .5 and 1 mpg overall since the fix.

Quick Reply: Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences