Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

What I have gleaned from approx 2K Kms.of primarily highway and 50% towing a 3500 lb.cargo trailer is that the tranny has a long complex learning curve.I've played extensively with all controls.D, S, and manual mode with paddles..Behaviour has changed noticeably to the positive side.Today I ran 500 kms through mountains all in S and I am starting to believe that Hp. & Tq. are actually better than pre-fix.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Q5 TDI conundrum

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
What I have gleaned from approx 2K Kms.of primarily highway and 50% towing a 3500 lb.cargo trailer is that the tranny has a long complex learning curve.I've played extensively with all controls.D, S, and manual mode with paddles..Behaviour has changed noticeably to the positive side.Today I ran 500 kms through mountains all in S and I am starting to believe that Hp. & Tq. are actually better than pre-fix.

Keep telling yourself that . let me guess fuel milage doubled.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbacksurfer
Keep telling yourself that . let me guess fuel milage doubled.
My only issue with fix is loss of 3 mpg on average. Throttle response is great.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Fuel mileage per Fuelly is holding steady to pre-fix after 3 fill-ups.Def consumption hasn't changed as I just did my 15k oil change and could barely get my 2.5 gal. in there.Really the only remaining unknown is cold weather performance, we get plenty of that in Quebec so we'll see.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:

Back on summer blend for a while now, our fuel mileage is back up. Frankly, I never did enough winter mpg history being it is the wife's car to know for sure what exactly it was though I did know it always went down. We seem to be just about 1mpg below what we had before now on summer fuel which is within spec. The only other thing I've noticed and so has the wife is that, just every now and then, the turbo lag is enormous. Most of the time it still $hits and Gits but every now and then it's like stepping down on a piece of rotten fruit. Nothing. And, THEN, it takes off like a bat outta hell. Now, I have seen a little bit of that clear back through my Cayenne TDI to my Touareg too but not nearly this severe. But, again, it's not this way all the time. Just every once in a while. And, yes, having that happen at the worst possible time "could" get you into trouble. My wife is not a terribly aggressive driver though so, though she's noticed it, she doesn't complain much.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Update:

Back on summer blend for a while now, our fuel mileage is back up. Frankly, I never did enough winter mpg history being it is the wife's car to know for sure what exactly it was though I did know it always went down. We seem to be just about 1mpg below what we had before now on summer fuel which is within spec. The only other thing I've noticed and so has the wife is that, just every now and then, the turbo lag is enormous. Most of the time it still $hits and Gits but every now and then it's like stepping down on a piece of rotten fruit. Nothing. And, THEN, it takes off like a bat outta hell. Now, I have seen a little bit of that clear back through my Cayenne TDI to my Touareg too but not nearly this severe. But, again, it's not this way all the time. Just every once in a while. And, yes, having that happen at the worst possible time "could" get you into trouble. My wife is not a terribly aggressive driver though so, though she's noticed it, she doesn't complain much.
As to the occasional lag before accelerating, we have seen it too on our fixed Q7. More, soon after the fix but not so much lately. I said something about it recently asking my wife if it had happened lately and she answered “ no, but you remember our old one (2011 Q7 TDI) did that too if you left foot braked and tried to accelerate simultaneously with releasing the brake pedal.” Hmmm I wonder. She IS right that that happened. We are all hyper sensitive to post fix abnormalities. Could SOME of our hesitation episodes be due to the brake — accelerator lock out that has always been there? ( And which I have always disliked but have learned to adapt and avoid encountering)
Old 06-23-2018, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson

As to the occasional lag before accelerating, we have seen it too on our fixed Q7 ........did that too if you left foot braked and tried to accelerate simultaneously with releasing the brake pedal.” Hmmm I wonder. She IS right that that happened. We are all hyper sensitive to post fix abnormalities. Could SOME of our hesitation episodes be due to the brake — accelerator lock out that has always been there? ( And which I have always disliked but have learned to adapt and avoid encountering)
You may be correct about being hypersensitive to any perceived issue.....I still drive 'with two feet' and experience a lag when trying to accelerate, while releasing the brake pedal. However, after speaking with some who have had the fix, this lag appears to be much more pronounced. I have not done the fix yet because of this complaint more so than the other issues.

Last edited by AMDG75; 06-23-2018 at 05:34 AM. Reason: forgot to say something
Old 06-23-2018, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Newbie Expeprience

My review is probably less relevant than most. I had not driven a Q5 prior to this one. I purchased a 2014 Q5, 3.0 TDI, Premium Plus, with around 34k miles in March of 2018 . First Audi ever owned. My review may provide a slightly un-biased opinon since I never got used to driving conditions before the "fix". This particular Q5 was "fixed", according to Audi Emissions Modification Lookup, in January of 2018. Upon first driving the car, I absolutely loved the torque of a turbo diesel. Tons of fun to drive. And still is. I do consider myself a mechanically capable person. I enjoy working on cars (own a 93' 3000GT project car) and understand the mechanics. I have done multiple engine swaps on 50's vintage Chevy's for some context. My first impressions on the Q5 are the shift points are slightly high during warm up periods. Which is not surprising at all after reading previous comments in the thread. However, after driving the Q5 for about 500 miles, the throttle response, mostly during warm up, but also after warm up, has been jerky. The gas peddle can be held in one position and the engine will respond inconsistently with the throttle position. Some people described this also in previous posts. Maybe this is because of the "adaptive throttle response"? My wife and I switch turns driving the vehicle, and both have opposite driving patterns. We owned a 2017 Honda HRV prior and had a similar experience, where throttle position was VERY inconsistent with throttle response. Hence the change over to a Q5 (quite the change by the way). Maybe this "jerky" response is more an issue with the electronic throttle set up than the "fix" DieselGate provided.... There's my 2 cents though....
Old 06-24-2018, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J. Patterson

As to the occasional lag before accelerating, we have seen it too on our fixed Q7. More, soon after the fix but not so much lately. I said something about it recently asking my wife if it had happened lately and she answered “ no, but you remember our old one (2011 Q7 TDI) did that too if you left foot braked and tried to accelerate simultaneously with releasing the brake pedal.” Hmmm I wonder. She IS right that that happened. We are all hyper sensitive to post fix abnormalities. Could SOME of our hesitation episodes be due to the brake — accelerator lock out that has always been there? ( And which I have always disliked but have learned to adapt and avoid encountering)
No, ours is after you have released the brake, accelerating just a little, then put your foot in it, and . . . duuuuh . . . then takes off like normal. Also has happened to me when I was starting to pull out to pass someone on a two laner. It reminds me of the problem the F150 Ecoboost had that I owned for like 10 minutes back in 2011 except it happened all the time due to excessive water condensation in the intercooler. Fortunately, the Audi just does it every once in a while. I haven't done any testing with it repeatedly just flooring it the minute the light turns green.

Maybe I should . . .

Um, officer, I'm testing my turbo lag . . .
Old 07-05-2018, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have actually just put a deposit down on a q5 tdi and expect to pick it up on the weekend hopefully. I took it for a test drive while the ngine was cold and I can’t see any issues. This car only has 35,000 kms on it and I am by no means an expert in how this car should drive as I never owned one or drove when before the scandal so I am not in a place to make a comment about how it drives now compared to pre fix, but I have to say that I was very impressed.

I have have been wanting either an X3 or Q5, but I was leary due to the scandal. I test drove the X3 and I wasn’t that impressed with the drive and the gas mileage with the added cost of premium which is around $1.78 a litre here in Vancouver. I then drove the Q5 tdi as my salesman who sold us a couple of cars before called me and said that he just got this car in on trade and that I should check it out. We went and drove it and I was expecting to feel the lag and lurching that has been mentioned on here, but I can honestly say I didn’t experience any of that at all.

Pleaae keep in mind that I don’t have any baseline to go off of before the fix, but coming from a standpoint of no preconceived notions I was really impressed with it. I just wanted to give my two cents to give someone who may be considering one some helpful info.

Quick Reply: Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences