Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
Addendum: on my Touareg, in wintertime, the mpg in city driving went to 18-19. And I *averaged* 26 because of long haul trips. So, I say again, this was not the engine to buy if your use was primarily short haul city driving.
We went from a Tahoe getting 10-11 mpg in city driving to 24-26 with the Q5. Yes, we gave up space but the gains in mileage and "fun to drive" factor won out. We recently went and looked at a new Tahoe as my wife was thinking she wanted to switch back but she was disappointed in the lack of space in something "so huge" so the Q5 remains in the family.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:36 PM
eus
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Addendum: on my Touareg, in wintertime, the mpg in city driving went to 18-19. And I *averaged* 26 because of long haul trips. So, I say again, this was not the engine to buy if your use was primarily short haul city driving.
So your premise is that city dwellers made poor choices with their TDI purchases?

The 2.0T gets 20mpg city, while the 3.0V6 gasser gets 18mpg in the city. What would you say was the "engine to get" for a Q5 then for city driving? The hybrid? My TDI is getting 23-24mpg during my 15 mile "short haul" city driving, and blowing the others away with mileage in the mid 30's on my Tahoe trips. This was (and hopefully will still be) the engine to get for all driving.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by eus
So your premise is that city dwellers made poor choices with their TDI purchases?

The 2.0T gets 20mpg city, while the 3.0V6 gasser gets 18mpg in the city. What would you say was the "engine to get" for a Q5 then for city driving? The hybrid? My TDI is getting 23-24mpg during my 15 mile "short haul" city driving, and blowing the others away with mileage in the mid 30's on my Tahoe trips. This was (and hopefully will still be) the engine to get for all driving.
Depending on the amount of city driving...yes, if a high ratio, maybe the hybrid. The Touareg also had a hybrid In which the mpg’s did not crater in winter city driving.

Please don’t misunderstand. “Poor choices” is a very strong way to rephrase my comment. But yes, some research into the ideal use cases of diesel would have been helpful in making a decision. And, the main fault lies with Audi for cheating and misrepresentation of their product.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Depending on the amount of city driving...yes, if a high ratio, maybe the hybrid. The Touareg also had a hybrid In which the mpg’s did not crater in winter city driving.

Please don’t misunderstand. “Poor choices” is a very strong way to rephrase my comment. But yes, some research into the ideal use cases of diesel would have been helpful in making a decision. And, the main fault lies with Audi for cheating and misrepresentation of their product.
We looked at a hybrid. Too much complexity (i.e. things to fail) and not much pay-off in terms of mileage and a LOT LESS fun to drive. This being our first diesel we are "sold". We don't know if we'll end up keeping the Q5 or move on but we would literally JUMP at the chance to own an SQ7 TDI.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by fujinator
We looked at a hybrid. Too much complexity (i.e. things to fail) and not much pay-off in terms of mileage and a LOT LESS fun to drive. This being our first diesel we are "sold". We don't know if we'll end up keeping the Q5 or move on but we would literally JUMP at the chance to own an SQ7 TDI.
Right, well, I love the 3.0 liter TDI and dont think there is any comparison to the other engines. Since I drive long haul trips, it was an easy decision, but with a lot of short city trips my most economical choice overall would have been the base engine. I still can’t get away from the fact that they could have played fair and still be selling it, and we’d still be singing its praises, which was my intended main point.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I still can’t get away from the fact that they could have played fair and still be selling it, and we’d still be singing its praises, which was my intended main point.
Totally agree. And then my family hauler could/would be an SQ7 and given the longevity of diesels, probably our last SUV. But alas, we digress...
Old 02-20-2018, 09:52 PM
eus
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Naw man, the hybrid is the most uneconomical choice by far.

The base engine does not compare to the TDI for performance. If it was purely economics driving decisions, an Audi Q5 wouldn't even be a choice, no matter the engine type.

There were only two choices, the 3.0 gasser and the diesel. Even with tanked winter city mileage with diesel, you'll get better mileage in the diesel than the gasser, but with similar power.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To put all this in perspective: On the one hand, some buyers who test drove the car would have been put off by the cold engine sound, etc, and bought something else. On the other hand, if they had shipped the cars clean, not only would they still be selling TDI’s, we would still be here explaining their superiority to the 2.0 gasser, instead of complaining how they are not as good as they once were. This was never the type of engine for city driving or short haul trips.
That may be your perspective but it is certainly not mine. I disagree with the premise of "if they had shipped . . ." completely and dispute your "This was never the type of engine . . . "
Old 02-21-2018, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First tank report and there's no statistical difference in mpg for us (actually was a few tenths higher than the last, pre-fix tank). I do see the higher rpm's when the engine is cold but once warmed up, it's pretty much the same as it was before. Power also doesn't seem any different to me. Add in the extended warranty and I can't see any reason not to keep her.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by eus
Naw man, the hybrid is the most uneconomical choice by far.

The base engine does not compare to the TDI for performance. If it was purely economics driving decisions, an Audi Q5 wouldn't even be a choice, no matter the engine type.

There were only two choices, the 3.0 gasser and the diesel. Even with tanked winter city mileage with diesel, you'll get better mileage in the diesel than the gasser, but with similar power.
I understand your thought process in buying, and mine was similar. I was more than willing to pay a premium for a better engine than base. I considered the same two engines as you, but am too committed to diesel, and I have the ideal use case. Depending on the mpg difference realized with diesel, you chip away at the difference in original expenditure by saving money at the pump. This is harder to do in the city, since the Diesel engine really likes to run warm. That’s what I have been trying to say, however awkwardly.

I appreciate all the responses, and as a former teacher, I enjoy being challenged on what I have said. It is a fact that the Diesel engine does not perform anywhere near its capability running cold. Many of the other things we have been discussing are opinions. I was taught when I was a boy, by my own teachers, that when you write an opinion, the words “in my opinion” are superfluous and redundant and detract from your writing, lol.

Quick Reply: Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences