Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Trailor Hitch - Installed and it looks great!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Trailor Hitch - Installed and it looks great!

I have had alot of requests for publication of the O.E.M (Original Equiptment Manufacturer) hitch installed.
After watching an Audi Certified Technician install the Q5 trailer hitch I would not recommend attempting to
install it yourself. The Q5 can tow 4,400 LBS (pounds) the highest in its class by far so this is a great
Audi accessory to have.

http://www.iamaudi.com/audi-q5-tow-h...mports-service
Old 08-14-2009, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for the pictures, but...

... "looking great" is very subjective. Looks like Audi could have come up with a better design than this. IMO way too much fascia cutting to look great, but maybe it looks better in person.
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Loophole
... "looking great" is very subjective. Looks like Audi could have come up with a better design than this. IMO way too much fascia cutting to look great, but maybe it looks better in person.
I was aware that it needed to be cut and was a little hesitant. After seeing the finished product, I think it looks fine.

Looking from a standing position looking down or a distance you can't really tell that it was cut after the fact. The cover is black throughout. On close inspection, it is evident that it was cut; there is no trim piece to hide this fact. If it really bugged me, I think a little touch-up paint would make it look factory.

Audi or an after-market company could probably come up with a trim piece to complete the finished appearance.

My other worry about having a hole was accumulation of water, snow etc. But, the bumper cover is pretty much hollow where the cut was made, so there is nothing to rust, corrode, etc. The water will just run out the underside. You can test this theory by sticking your hand up and under your bumper cover; just a big hollow spot until you get up by the park sensors where the actual crash bumper is installed.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks MCNIERNEYC!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

The hitch looks good.

I still think that it is crazy to have to go through that much work to dismantle and cut into a brand new car to install a trailer hitch. And the cost is completely outrageous. Audi should have made the trailer hitch a standard option on the Q5. It would have made more sense to install them before installing the bumper and then they could have designed the bumper differently. I want a trailer hitch as well but refuse to pay that kind of money or tear up my new car.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks great....wish they had one for the B8 Avant.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

PS. After looking at the install photos, the bumper cut outs look poor and unfinished. A smoother/rounder cut would have been given a more factory look.
But as long as it gets the job done I guess.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RED G8R
PS. After looking at the install photos, the bumper cut outs look poor and unfinished. A smoother/rounder cut would have been given a more factory look.
But as long as it gets the job done I guess.
I agree RED G8R. I really wanted to get the trailer hitch, but for that price and the finish quality, I think I'm going to pass.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Not sure about installing the hitch

I also think that it is crazy to have to go through that much work to dismantle and cut into a brand new car to install a trailer hitch.

My dealer first gave me a quote of $1500 for the installed hitch and has just called me again and quoted me $1900 because they need to order a new bumper skin and have it painted. This is completely outrageous after spending almost $50K for a new vehicle they now they want you to have to have either a cut-up or newly (non-factory) painted bumper on your Q5. What is Audi thinking?

I put my scheduled install on hold until I can get to see what it looks like in person.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tmiele
My dealer first gave me a quote of $1500 for the installed hitch and has just called me again and quoted me $1900 because they need to order a new bumper skin and have it painted.
So does that mean that that there is an updated bumper lower with an OEM cutout for the hitch to stick out of?

Quick Reply: Q5 Trailor Hitch - Installed and it looks great!